The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Closed Thread

Old April 23, 2013, 01:29 AM   #51
Water-Man

Three feet is not a safe range to be shooting poisonous snakes.
Old April 23, 2013, 02:46 AM   #52
Sport45

Three feet is well outside the strike range of all but the largest snakes.

They're snakes, not grenades. As I and others have mentioned they're not hard to kill and no special ordnance is needed.
Old April 23, 2013, 04:11 PM   #53
full case load

I have heard, (but never actually verified), a maximum striking distance of 2/3rds their length. I've never gotten closer than that estimated length plus a couple of extra feet. I have never been struck or struck at. I will say that I've been closer when a snake and I surprised each other and one of us went the other way quite a bit faster and further than the other.
Old April 23, 2013, 04:40 PM   #54
scrubcedar

Sport, that was what I was getting at when I asked why you'd need snake shot rather than a solid. If you're close enough to be in danger you're close enough to hit the snake. To me the question is how quickly can you get off an accurate shot, before he decides you are a threat and strikes.
Old April 23, 2013, 04:56 PM   #55
shafter

Why not just shoot them with regular ammo? I don't see the advantages to snake shot, especially out of a 22.
Old April 23, 2013, 05:24 PM   #56
Garycw

22 snake shot

Quote:
Originally Posted by shafter View Post
Why not just shoot them with regular ammo? I don't see the advantages to snake shot, especially out of a 22.
Makes it harder to miss
Old April 23, 2013, 05:31 PM   #57
Hawg

Quote:
Makes it harder to miss
Yes but shoot a snake with a head the size of your fist with it and its not likely to do more than tick him off really bad and snakes can move really fast.
Old April 23, 2013, 05:34 PM   #58
Ultralight

I shot a 3 ft. western diamondback a couple of weeks ago with one round of CCI mini mag 22 lr shotshell. Did the job nicely. I was about 3 feet away.

The skin is now part of a picture frame and while not much meat, it tasted good.
Old April 23, 2013, 05:36 PM   #59
Powermwt

Here is a thread on the topic back from 2000.

http://thefiringline.com/forums/arch...hp?t-7432.html

Every type of ammo has it's purpose, but what you can hit standing still at 5' may suddenly want to slither toward you at remarkable speed. Some types of rattlesnakes can be very aggressive and I'm assuming you do not want to be bit. I have had dogs and a donkey get bit and know people that have been bit... it is not fun.

I still prefer a 9mm shot in the pipe with JHPs in the magazine.

Old April 23, 2013, 06:23 PM   #60
Gaucho Gringo

My Grandfather was an Arny Engineer. Seems like every time they built a dam in venomous snake country it was snake bonanza. My Grandmother had a collection of rattles that must have been around 100. Most of them came from Lowell and The Dalles Oregon. I lived the first 6 months of my life in Lowell and can remember visiting them in The Dalles and seeing dead rattlers hanging in the trees so the dogs wouldn't get them. I don't think one of them was ever shot. they used shovels, hoes, rakes and sticks. Me, I want the biggest caliber shotgun when I go in snake country. They are just my worst nightmare.
357 Taurus Gaucho, 22 Heritage RR, 2-Pietta 1858 44 NMA Remingtons, Pietta, Euroarms & ASM 36 1851 Navies, 31 Uberti 1849, 12 ga H&R Topper, 16 Ga Western Field, 43 Spanish Remington Rolling Block, 44 ASM Colt Walker, High Point C9 9mm, Winchester 1906 22, Rossi 62 22 rifle, Uberti 1860, H&A & IJ 32 S&W BreakTop, 36 Euroarms 1858, 32 H&R 04, 22mag NAA SS BP revolver, .44 Rodgers & Spencer, IJ 38 S&W BreakTop, IJ 22 Sealed 8
Old April 23, 2013, 06:56 PM   #61
eman

My experience with 22 snake shot many years ago taught me to not waste my money on it. I shot an aluminum pie plate (the one that comes with a store bought pie) and none of the #12 shot penetrated, these were the brass ones with the crimped end.
I haven't tried the plastic capsule 22 birdshot and don't think I'll bother.
Old April 23, 2013, 09:35 PM   #62
Biff Tannen

With .22 LR snake shot, extra barrel counts for EVERYTHING!
A 4" compared to a snubbie makes a WORLD of difference!
Stay safe and God bless!
Old April 23, 2013, 10:15 PM   #63
COASTER

I was taking a break from mowing my lawn when I noticed a 2 to 3 ft long snake headed to my open garage door. I jumped off my mower, grabbed the nearest two by four and cut him clean in two. The head half still kept going until he slowed down. A couple of crows came down in about ten minutes and leaned up the parts. Turned out to be a garter.
Old April 23, 2013, 11:27 PM   #64
Sport45

^ What a waste.
Old April 24, 2013, 04:13 AM   #65
kcub

I always wondered if those old crimped kind would waste energy opening up the crimp.
Old April 24, 2013, 06:43 AM   #66
Tinner666

I was lying back dozing on the gunnel when this guy came sliding over the side from behind, slithering along my neck, over my shoulder. Wife freaked!
Wife accidenlty picked up a Burmese Python and it warpped across her shoulders. She was always really scared of them, but she's getting better. We calmed her down and made her stand still for the picture.
The large 20' snake was in front of a pet shop in NC.
The creek I mentioned in a prior post ahs great fishing because the fish hit anything they see. It's virgin territory because of all the snakes.
Yes, I worry about bites. I had a 5' Cotton Mouth hit me when I stepped on it. It felt like somebody had hit me with a closed fist. Luckily, it caught the top of my boot and not my leg.

As for non posionous snakes, hold still and it will let you go in a few moments and you won't lose any skin. If you drag them off, you drag skin off too because of the shape of their teeth.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Catch of The Day.jpg (112.0 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg Lou and the Snake (4).jpg (84.4 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg Nice Kitty.jpg (151.6 KB, 18 views)
Closed Thread