The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old February 27, 2011, 01:21 PM   #26
Red Tornado

I think all of your questions have been answered many times and it sounds like you've decided on the 10/22. Good choice, but the others are good choices, too.
I just wanted to add:
Don't worry about cleaning, upgrades, etc. It's not hard, and from your writing style it's pretty clear you won't have any trouble finding, reading, and following directions. You'll have it mastered in no time, I assure you. Buy it, shoot it as is, and when you need to upgrade something you'll know.
Have fun and good shooting,
RT
Old February 27, 2011, 03:22 PM   #27
smoakingun

The 10/22 is an exelent rifle to learn on, simple, reliable, infinately upgradable.

As to being a good shot, have you thought about training? There is an oganization called Appleseed that can teach you to use that rifle the right way, and give you the skills to, when you are read fr a centerfire, put rounds on target out to 500 yards, with open sights. Check them out at www.appleseedinfo.org
Hundreds of years from now, it will not matter what my bank account was, the sort of house I lived in, or the kind of car I drove... But the world may be different because I did something so bafflingly crazy that my ruins become a tourist attraction.
Old March 2, 2011, 08:28 AM   #28
4bfox

Appleseed would be a GREAT way to get started....and the crew in TX is among the best (of course, our guys in KS are up there, too!).
Old March 2, 2011, 11:30 PM   #29
44 AMP
Staff

Welcome to TFL!

And, welcome to the shooting world!

Please don't take this wrong, but the first thing you should do is take a NRA certified Hunter Safety Course. Even if you never plan to hunt anything, take the course! Before you spend any money on a gun, take the course, please!

You will learn basic gun safety, handling, and general firearms information. Right now, by your own admission, you barely know anything. This forum can teach you many,many,many things, but you have to know what it is you need to ask, and the Hunter Safety course will teach you that. And it will give you a good solid knowledge base for your future decisions.

The Ruger 10/22 is a great gun, one of, if not the best common semi autos. But, being a semi auto, it is a little more complicated than manually operated repeaters.

The Marlin is basically a bargin basement gun. OR entry level, if you prefer. A good gun to start with and learn on for low money, but not one you are likely to be happy with for a lifetime. Fortunately, there is always someone looking for a good starter gun, and when you do decide to move up from the Marlin, you can get easily get something for it. Probably not a lot, as they don't sell for a lot, brand new, and used value is always less.

Take the course, get some literature, learn the basic things you need to know, the ones that tell you how much you can learn, and in what direction you should aim your inquiries. You can do searches in the forum, and read lots and lots of stuff that others have asked, and answered, that will help you out as well. The trick is not to fall victim to information overload.

A .22 with iron sights is the place to start shooting. Scope can be added later. learn the basics, Safety, positions, safety, sight alignment, safety, trigger control, breath control, safety, and did I mention safety?

As you get started, come on back and ask more questions, somebody's always here, and we all began sometime. Don't be embarrassed with you don't know yet, we all started out asking a lot of the same questions you are, or will be.
Old March 3, 2011, 04:51 PM   #30
newshooter1992

Taking a class would be helpful but is it really necessary? Some of the questions I asked were out of curiosity. I do understand the basic saftey rules and take them very seriously. As far as storing the gun my girlfriends dad has a HUGE gun safe that he will most likely let me use. This will keep it away from anyone else trying to get to it. Appleseed looks great but I don't know if I would be able to do it.

I'm in a toss up betwen the Ruger 10/22 and the Marlin 795 now. Marlin's price is really attracting me to it and from what i've read it is more accurate out of the box. Also I don't plan on "upgrading" or changing what I get in any way. I don't have the money or knowledge to do so anyways. I was thinking that maybe I purchase the Marlin now and then maybe down the road get the Ruger once I gain some more experience and knowledge (and cash ).

I might purchase my firearm next week (spring break!) but if not I will most definitely get it in the summer. I plan on writing a review on whichever gun I choose.

Thanks for everyone's help and tips!
Old March 4, 2011, 06:41 PM   #31
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
Taking a class would be helpful but is it really necessary?
No, its not necessary. Its just a way to get exposed to a lot of the information you are asking about in one sitting. The differences in cartridges, calibers, rifle and shot gun action types, and lots of other things are touched on (albeit lightly), along with safe gunhandling.
Old March 8, 2011, 03:31 PM   #32
captianpattson

One good thing to do is buy a .22lr first, then invite other people with guns to go shooting with you. Most people are more than willing to let you shoot their guns for a while. Having complete strangers let you shoot their guns is not uncommon either. This will give you a feel for different calibers, lengths, and actions. Its all about personal preference, everyone has their own opinion, shooting guns for yourself is the only way to form your own. I personally only buy used guns, simply because i'm poor. If you get a good deal on a gun and find out you don't like it you can often sell it for the same price you bought it for.

Just be careful about liking too many guns otherwise you will end up with a full gun cabinet and empty bank account... speaking from experiance
Old March 8, 2011, 09:58 PM   #33
blutob

10-22 is definately the way to go. The stock is pretty short so it will probably feel short for you. You can buy an aftermarket 1 inch thick replacement buttpad specifically designed for the 10-22 for about $15 online. It is very easy to install. You just unscrew the original one and screw on the new one. I'm 6' 1" and the aftermarket buttpad did the trick for me. It now fits perfectly and is a great gun to shoot.
Old March 12, 2011, 07:11 PM   #34
newshooter1992

Ok so I finally went and got to actually hold and get a look at the ruger 10-22 and marlin 795. First thing off the bat I noticed was how small the guns looked and felt. The ruger felt a lot better than the marlin to me. It fit my shoulder better, weighed just a bit heavier (which I liked so it didn't feel like a pellot gun), had better factory sights IMO, and also had a better magazine IMO.

The marlin felt a little cheap and almost like plastic for some reason. I didn't like the magizine it came with because it felt like I could break it just by dropping it and I didn't know how long it would last. The thing I really didn't like about the marlin was that everytime you load in a fresh magazine you can't just pull back on the bolt and rock n' roll. You have to push down on this thing on the side to let the bolt slide forward. It was just something I didn't like.

Didn't make a purchase today but I definitely will in the summer. I'm gonna go with what everyone is saying for sure this time and get the 10-22. I havn't decided whether or not i'm going to attend any classes yet. Just gonna see what happens in the future.

Once again thanks goes out to everyone for your advice and input.
Old March 13, 2011, 01:45 AM   #35
raimius

I recommend the 10/22 as well. It is accurate, moderately priced, and modifiable. The biggest advantage is being able to shoot 500 rounds for $20. I can only shoot 50 out of a .223 rifle for that much!

Personally, I am not a fan of the factory sights on the 10/22. Fortunately, a company called Tech Sights makes better iron sights that can be installed relatively easily (you would need a punch set, a screwdriver, and some loctite.) That is one of the few upgrades that I would seriously consider for a new shooter.

I would recommend taking a class like the Appleseed events. They can teach you to be very accurate with iron sights. In shooting, the fundamentals are what really separate accurate shooters from inaccurate ones. Once you learn and practice the fundamentals, you can expand in a variety of ways fairly easily.
Old March 13, 2011, 03:55 AM   #36
Eagle0711

Welcome to the forum, and to the wonderful world of shooting. The previous posts offer good insights. I'll touch on a few points.

The single shot is not more accurate,but here is the deal. If you have one shot you are going to FOCUS on the one shot rather than just pull the trigger again. The most important key to hitting your target after aligning the sight picture is to slowly squeeze the trigger with smooth increasing pressure, and the last bit of an ounce press until the gun fires. Most jerk the trigger which will result in a miss. Also see where the sight is aimed when the gun fires, and you will know if it's a good shot or not.

The most accurate 22LR I ever fired was a Ruger 10/22 that belonged to a friend. He modified it with a trigger job, light and crisp with no creep. He put a heavy barrel on it himself from Butler Creek. He ordered an after market stock that really had a great feel. He also put a leupold 4x scope off of a hunting rifle with a one " tube. It was very clear. Man, you couldn't miss with this jewel. You can do these modifications as you go and can afford them. We shot at empty 22 cases put on weeds at 40' and shot from prone laying on the ground.

All 22 RF rifles will generally shoot one brand of ammo the best. You will have to test these from a sandbag rest to see which your gun likes.

I bought a $60 22 RF Winchester single shot used and using the hood of my truck with a rolled up jacket for support it will shot CCI Mini-mags into a 5 shot group the size of a nickel at 50 yards. Half inch at 50 yards is a good standard of accuracy for a 22 RF.

My family lived in Arkansas during The Great Depression. Many could shot a squirrel in the eye from a high moving branch of a Hickory Tree with a cheap ss single shot. If you had 5 shells, you'd better bring 5 squirrels home. If you missed, you went hungry, and the ole man may tan your fanny.

Friends have Marlin 22s with the micro-grove rifling in the barrel that are very accurate. You will get really good with the choices suggested and become an excellant marksman. Good Luck and Shooting. It's a fun experience. Eagle
Old March 13, 2011, 11:08 PM   #37
Tip12095

Get a bolt action. You have to manually operate the bolt. I love em. Plus they have a lot less moving parts, so there is a less chance of something breaking. Personaly I own the Savage, but I have fired both the Marlin and the Ruger. All of them are great little guns. The ruger is a bit pricier. And from my expirence it is no different from the Savage or the Marlin. Have fun and stay safe.
Old March 14, 2011, 12:09 AM   #38
mellow_c

I would love to answer all your questions, but right now I'm watching son's of guns on Discovery. So I'll keep it simple

I think a 10/22 would be a fantastic choice for your first firearm. They are in my opinion, the most universal semi auto .22 lr rifle available. Accurate enough to have fun, and still keep good groups at reasonable yards. The removable mags are a plus. 10 shots for factory mags. 25 round butler creek steel lip mags are great to have fun with and work very well. Also alot of aftermarket mods that can increase accuracy, among other things. I however love mine just the way it is.

10/22's are VERY reliable when using decent ammo, and just keep it fairly clean and your all set.

I prefer it with iron sights, I enjoy the open sights. It makes it fun to point shoot, and do snap shooting with just the front sight, and then bring up the rear aligned with the front for precise shots with a traditional sight picture. You'll find that the sights are very good on a 10/22. And of the 3 that I have fired, none have needed adjustment, and all have shot straight to point of aim from the factory!

I understand your wanting to step up to a larger caliber, thinking it will give you the rush of shooting a "gun". But if you can find the joy of shooting in a .22lr (the precision, the slow even trigger pull, the enjoyment of firing a bullet from an explosive cartridge hitting your target, the smell and sound. it all comes together) you'll be able to responsibly, and truly appreciate the larger calibers. Based on your post. I'd say you sound like a smart and reasonable young man. I think you'll do fine with whatever you chose. But in the end, Everyone loves a .22lr... so I think thats your best starting point.

Practice is really just having fun. Getting good at shooting is like learning how to play an instrument. You eventually develop your own style, but there are many styles, and you can learn something from all of them.

10/22 and many many experimental shooting sessions... and continued Internet research and conversations, and you'll be feeling good.

Enjoy your new found hobby, and make sure to bring along some friends. Always do your best. And always stay safe

Last edited by mellow_c; March 14, 2011 at 12:15 AM.
Old March 14, 2011, 01:39 AM   #39
kozak6

I have a 10/22. It's a fine carbine.

It's better to learn how to use iron sights first, and then move up to a scope. With a .22, you aren't going to be shooting at targets 500 yards away, so it's ok to go with a cheap scope. The factory sights are probably "bore-sighted", so they should be reasonably close. They may need some fine tuning. Also, note that every different kind of ammo will shoot to a slightly different spot.

Barrel length has surprisingly little to do with inherent accuracy. More than anything, barrel length determines velocity and sight radius. A short, stiff barrel can be more accurate than a long thin whippy barrel. A longer sight radius also makes a rifle with iron sights easier to shoot accurately. Barrel lengths vary quite a bit, but for .22's, they tend to be on the shorter side.

Theoretically, a synthetic stock can be better. A synthetic stock is basically weatherproof and more scratch resistant, while humidity over time can potentially cause some wood stocks to warp. However, a cheaply made synthetic stock can be floppy and cause accuracy issues, and it's also possible to waterproof a wooden stock. Personally, I don't think it really matters and is more of an aesthetic issue than anything.

You may also wish to consider an air rifle. You can get a lot more practice in if you can just go shoot in the garage or backyard whenever you want.

Do you have any other particular questions?

Tags
beginner , introduction , noob , questions , rifles