The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old July 7, 2013, 11:30 AM   #1
Chris9472

Need gun safe I can get into upper duplex

I will not be moving into my own house anytime soon, so I'm looking for gun storage options that I would be able to get upstairs to my upper duplex.

It would be extremely difficult, if not impossible to get a large, heavy Liberty type safe up here, so I was looking for something with the same kind of room for storage but made of much lighter materials. I know that such a safe wouldn't offer the protection of a real one, but it would be far better then nothing. Fires and natural disasters are of little concern to me, I just want to keep out the nosybodies and potential "thieves of opportunity".

I'm thinking of something more modern and a bit more substantial then the traditional wood cabinet type with glass doors. I'd thought I'd ask the knowledgeable bunch here before I spent anytime looking online. Any suggestions or links would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by Chris9472; July 7, 2013 at 12:02 PM.
Old July 7, 2013, 11:48 AM   #2
Method

Being in the DoD, my career moves me around. Thus, I have been looking for something similar. In my case, I want something that I can easily transport if I have to move several times over the coming years, and I need something that can be used in everything from homes to apartments.

I haven't found much, but one option I've looked at is to purchase a series of smaller safes instead of a big one. Stack-on makes an 8-gun safe that is fire resistant (1400 degrees for 30 min) and weighs in at only 234lbs. It's not light by any measure, but it's small and can be managed if you have a couple friends willing to help. You can check their website for details. The only place I've seen one for sale in person (Omaha, NE area) is a Scheels. Amazon may deliver though.

Stack-on does also have several gun cabinets. They're not fire rated or as secure as a true safe, but they can accommodate a large volume of stored materials without the weight of a safe.
Old July 7, 2013, 03:19 PM   #3
Chris9472

Method, is something like this the Stack-On safe you were talking about? http://www.walmart.com/ip/Stack-On-G...ndingMethod=rr

This looks like the type of thing I've been looking for, It holds 10 long guns with a shelf for pistols, ammo, etc., good customer reviews, weighs only 68 lbs. and is amazingly under $100. I will check into this further!

I could go with one or two of those, supplemented with a smaller stack-On or fire safe for handguns.

Last edited by Chris9472; July 7, 2013 at 03:27 PM.
Old July 7, 2013, 04:42 PM   #4
BigD_in_FL

Try Zanotti - they are modular:

http://www.zanottiarmor.com/

They break down into sections and then you can easily move them
Old July 7, 2013, 07:51 PM   #5
Straightshooter629

I have been using a Homack "safe" for a few years as an apartment dweller. It is made similar to the Stackon products. As an added security measure, I secure it to the wall and floor using lag bolts and tuck it away in the back of a closet. The holes are easily patched with spackling compound when it come times to remove the safe.
Old July 7, 2013, 09:54 PM   #6
Method

Chris: Yup. That's almost exactly what I've been looking into.

StraightShooter: I also saw the Homak brand when searching for cabinets/safes. They looked decent on their onw, but it's always reassuring to get a straight vote of confidence in these forums.
Old July 26, 2013, 12:54 PM   #7
MaDMaXX

This is something i'm looking into as well. It's more a case of organisation and basic security, rather than actual physical security.

Need something that can store pistols, ammo and long guns.
Old July 27, 2013, 12:14 PM   #8
Sea Buck

Same problem. My home office/man cave is on the second story. I went to a Winchester 12 gun safe on sale at the local Tractor Supply. Heavy duty steel,welded, and wheel and combo lock. A sawzall and a lot of time might be able to break into it.Bolt it to the floor. Weighs in at 150 lbs.It's pretty roomy I have 18 long guns and 6 hand guns on the shelf.
Old July 27, 2013, 12:56 PM   #9
iraiam

I have a similar problem, The last one I bought was a bighorn safe from Costco, a 410 pound fire resistant safe. It is maneuverable with 2-3 healthy people and an appliance dolly, (with the door removed). My house is old and all the interior doorways are 24" this little safe fit the bill pretty well, now I need another one.

I have also moved it by myself but only up 4 steps with an appliance dolly. It took 3 people to go up 17 step staircase.

"I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few public officials." George Mason
Old July 27, 2013, 01:06 PM   #10
JimmyR

I had the same concerns as the OP about having a safe (mine in a 2nd floor apartment). I ended up getting a Frontier under-bed safe. Granted, the electronic part doesn't work anymore, but I use the key for all my uses. I store 8-10 handguns in there, and if I go out of town, I often pull the bolt from my Savage Mk II and the barrel from my shotgun and put them in as well. I bought mine from a local store, and can't complain too much, especially since it's wide base makes it easier on unsure floors.

Last edited by JimmyR; July 27, 2013 at 01:07 PM. Reason: Added hotlink
Old July 27, 2013, 02:38 PM   #11
k9barco

Have you ever considered a job box? Greenlee makes a nice 24x24x48 box that can be put on wheels, has 2 concealed, recessed area's for securing with padlocks and looks like a toolbox.

Just a consideration. There are several manufactures that are very similar , but Greenlee's can be found on Craigslist in excellent condition for $200- and under. I paid $250- for mine new at The home depot years ago.
Old July 27, 2013, 04:30 PM   #12
mySig229

Re: Need gun safe I can get into upper duplex

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9barco View Post
Have you ever considered a job box? Greenlee makes a nice 24x24x48 box that can be put on wheels, has 2 concealed, recessed area's for securing with padlocks and looks like a toolbox.

Just a consideration. There are several manufactures that are very similar , but Greenlee's can be found on Craigslist in excellent condition for $200- and under. I paid $250- for mine new at The home depot years ago.
+1. ^^

What about a bed safe?
http://bedgunsafe.com
Old July 29, 2013, 01:31 AM   #13
Armed_Chicagoan

Quote:
Method, is something like this the Stack-On safe you were talking about? http://www.walmart.com/ip/Stack-On-G...ndingMethod=rr
I have that exact cabinet (it's not really a safe), I keep it in the back of the closet so it's not visible to the casual visitor. It also bolts to the wall studs.

Works well, though you'd be hard-pressed to fit 10 guns in it. I have my carbines sitting on a pistol case, because otherwise they're too short to reach the barrel holders. I have 6 guns in mine - a 12ga shotgun, 2-.22 rifles, a .44 carbine, and 2 pistols.

The plastic shelf sags a bit from the pistol and ammo I have on it, but I don't think it will break.

So not quite a safe, but I'd have a hell of a time getting a safe up the stairs and through the narrow doorways and tight quarters of my 100 year old 2-flat. And it will keep out nosy guests and children, though not a determined thief. But the burglars would probably run off with the TVs before they even discovered the cabinet behind all the clothes in the back of my closet. Burglaries are pretty rare here anyway.

A month ago Bass Pro Shops was selling these bundled with a small single handgun safe, don't know if that deal is still going on. I got mine at Dick's before I saw that.