The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old January 24, 2013, 10:33 AM   #26
allaroundhunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmart30 View Post
letting a hog walk to me is almost as bad as a deer hunter letting a coyote walk.
Hogs will eat every acorn they can find and clean out under a oak tree until everything is gone leaving nothing for a deer ... Ever heard the phrase "eatin like a pig" ?
Coyotes eat the deer and fawns... How many fawns or deer ya think a coyote can eat in a year?

If you see a sow pig and let it walk by the same time next year she has dropped 5 -10 more.

Kill em all.
Over Christmas break I mounted the night scope on my AR and went to work. Over the course of 4 nights I killed 7 pigs and one coyote (the coyote was going after a calf).

A week ago, a coyote killed my dog in our own back yard. Now a vendetta against both species has been launched...

Sent from my HTC One X
Old January 24, 2013, 10:38 AM   #27
603Country

allaroundhunter, it's a war isn't it. Darn pigs. I would let folks hunt my back pastures, but I worry about liability and associated things.

I've been thinking about a night vision type scope, but I don't have an AR type rifle, so how would I attach/detach the scope. I guess I'd just have to dedicate one rifle to the night scope and leave it like that. I do have an 'extra'. Hmmm.
Old January 24, 2013, 11:10 AM   #28
allaroundhunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 603Country View Post
allaroundhunter, it's a war isn't it. Darn pigs. I would let folks hunt my back pastures, but I worry about liability and associated things.

I've been thinking about a night vision type scope, but I don't have an AR type rifle, so how would I attach/detach the scope. I guess I'd just have to dedicate one rifle to the night scope and leave it like that. I do have an 'extra'. Hmmm.
The last time we let someone hunt on our land a calf was shot and killed.... That person ruined the opportunity for everyone else pretty much.

And you don't need an AR to use a night scope. They have the same mount type as your usual scope rings, the base is just usually but into the optic. My night scope usually stays on my bolt action .243, but after seeing 15 pigs in one game cam pic I opted for more firepower

Sent from my HTC One X
Old January 24, 2013, 11:33 AM   #29
Rmart30

Quote:
i can't get a permit to shoot hogs at night because i'm not a farmer:
here anway the owner of the land can get a depredation permit and designate (give permission) for people to shoot hog and coyote on their property under that permit... its just as when someone leases property for a hunting club and gives permission for the members to hunt on his lease.
Old January 24, 2013, 12:16 PM   #30
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Florida has removed the requirement for depredation permit regarding hogs at night with gun and light... Just need written permission from the land owner in your possession...

Now if I decide I don't feel like taking the dogs, I can grab the gun and spotlight and head to the crop land or sour corn pile...

Brent
Old January 24, 2013, 01:01 PM   #31
Keg

Quote:
Yes I have seen that too. LOTS of Texas farmers and ranchers have pig problems. They seem to be begging for help. But when you contact them, they want to charge YOU to come help THEM!
I would like to know who these Texas farmers and ranchers are..that are begging for help..and then wanna turn around and charge? Cause I have never met one of em.....
Old January 24, 2013, 01:17 PM   #32
Double Naught Spy

+1 Keg. Nobody is begging for help and then demanding that the help pays. There are those who want help and those who don't.
Old January 24, 2013, 08:17 PM   #33
reloader28

Well, if someone wants or needs help, I've got 4 or 5 of us willing to come and try our darndest to help thin them out. We have a hunting tent to stay in and can camp out for 2 or 3 weeks in the winter when work is slow. Can very possibly stay longer, too. We dont want to come and shoot 2 pigs, but we dont want to bring 100 pigs home either so we need somewhere to take them or a gully to throw them in.
Its something to think about.
Old January 24, 2013, 08:25 PM   #34
Keg

Quote:
The last time we let someone hunt on our land a calf was shot and killed.... That person ruined the opportunity for everyone else pretty much.
I am sure that is one reason that big ranchers here don't even ask locals..along with liability issues.....

Quote:
+1 Keg. Nobody is begging for help and then demanding that the help pays. There are those who want help and those who don't.
I agree DNS....
Old January 25, 2013, 01:59 AM   #35
allaroundhunter

Quote:
I am sure that is one reason that big ranchers here don't even ask locals..along with liability issues.....
We aren't too far away from Freestone County. We are actually up in Hood County on the Brazos River.
Old January 25, 2013, 02:59 AM   #36
Keg

allaroundhunter....A fella shot a black calf(thought it was a pig)..on the lease across the county road from my river bottom lease....They charged him $1200....He actually got off light....
Old January 25, 2013, 02:06 PM   #37
allaroundhunter

That is pretty light..... We had a friend who had the same thing happen (hunter from another property killed his calf thinking it was a pig), and the guy ended up spending a couple nights in jail and having to pay close to $6,000 + legal fees...

We didn't press charges against the guy who shot our calf or make him pay anything for compensation. We just told him that he needed to leave and that he would not be coming back.