The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old March 20, 2009, 04:47 PM   #1
JpSnareGuy

Burris/Badger ring height

I have just bought a DPMS LR-308 it is a flattop and was thinking about putting a Super Sniper with a 42mm diameter obj. lens on it and am not sure what height rings to use. I would like to use Burris Xtreme or Badger rings. I would think a medium ring would be ok. I could go with a high ring and adjust my cheek height a little with the Magpul PRS, but I would like to go as low as I could. I feels more natural/comfortable to me. I am going to be shooting >250 yds. If anyone has any imput it would be greatly appreceated. I asked SWFA, the only seller of the SS, what they recommended and they could/would not recomend anything to me. Also I am not in the US right now so I can go and compare rings;height and so on. I would like to have whatever rings I choose shipped home by the time I get there so I can "build the rifle" Giselle,PRS, SS/rings, and so on.

Last edited by JpSnareGuy; March 20, 2009 at 04:54 PM.
Old March 26, 2009, 11:43 AM   #2
ForneyRider

I use the tall Burris Zee quick-detach rings on the 4.5-14x42 Fullfield II on DPMS AR.

But, I am looking at a forward rail. A PRS stock is on the horizon which will affect what size rings I need.

Some target shooters like the tallest rings avail.

You may want to get with a gunsmith or someone that has a lot of extra rings and mock it up to get a feel.

The quick detach are nice, since I like to shoot with the YHM sights from time to time.
Old March 26, 2009, 08:02 PM   #3
sourdough44

I have the Burris XTR rings on 2 ARs. I like them & all is well. I know it's a little different(higher) than we're used to with bolt rifles but high is the norm. You also have to get at the charging handle. I have the extra high, or whatever is highest, the last 3 is 183 on the product number. Natchez had a pretty good price on them a while ago.