The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 26, 2008, 01:03 PM   #26
essexcounty

For the past fifteen years Redding has been getting my dollars. No buyer's remorse........Essex
Old March 26, 2008, 01:36 PM   #27
The Lovemaster

I've been using RCBS dies for years and years. Recently I began using Lee dies and thoroughly enjoy the lock rings they have. My opinion is that both companies make a fine die.

Like many of us, my bench is a hodgepodge of green, orange, and red equipment, and it all works good enough for me.
Old March 26, 2008, 07:29 PM   #28
totalloser

Gascheck- The lead shot under a steel setscrew; That's probably why you like em! That's a slick way to do it. My stuff has just a brass set screw, and it GRINDS against the threads as you spin it into place. I think I'll find myself some shot that fits in there! When mine grind, they get damaged by the threads, so sometimes they really aren't tight when they feel like they are. So when I remove them and reinsert them I can't be REALLY sure they are OK.

Of course there is also the quality of my memory When I am putting them back in, I prefer to trust my eyes, not my memory. Once they are tight in the press, they all seem to work fine.

Those Lee decap setups really don't break pins tho. REALLY nice.
Old March 26, 2008, 07:40 PM   #29
CPTMurdoc30

For me it is Good = RCBS Better = Hornady Best = Redding or Forester.
Old March 26, 2008, 10:22 PM   #30
BigJakeJ1s

OK, fair enough. Let me relate the problems I've had with Lee lock rings.

I tighten them as they were intended, according to the directions (finger tight, not wrench tight). If I accidentally grab ANYTHING on the die except the lock ring itself to install/remove the die, or even adjust the seating screw, the lock ring can and will move on the die, destroying the setup.

With the die off the press, there is no way to tell whether the Lee lock ring has moved since the last time it was used. With clamp style lock rings (Hornady, Forster), I tighten the clamp screw and the lock ring will not move unless I loosen the clamp screw, no matter what. If I am playing with a die or setup, and do not leave it set up for my standard load, I leave the clamp loose, so I will know the next time I use it that it has to be set up with my dummy round again. If the lock ring is tight, I know it has not moved, and it is good to go for my standard load.

If you use a removable tool head or turret plate, and your dies stay in that all the time, the Lee lock rings will probably work just fine (the dillon lock rings don't have an o-ring, set screw, clamp screw or anything to hold them in place, except that they are tightened down against the tool head, and they work just fine for that purpose)

Andy
Old April 3, 2008, 08:58 AM   #31
ldv444

Dies

For rifle....Forester or Redding.

Handgun....Redding or Dillion (if your using a progressive).
Old April 3, 2008, 01:25 PM   #32
DaveInGA

I don't buy brands of dies or any reloading equipment by better, best or worst. I buy my equipment and especially my dies by application.

I'm a pretty good shot and haven't found one brand that truly outshines the other brands. I have found some brands that work better for a particular application and generally tend to mix and match dies to get the type of reloading results I want.

For me, this is the best of all worlds, with no sacrifice of anything.

Dave