The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 13, 2008, 09:58 AM   #26
Yoosta B. Blue

I finally ran across that press that can either be mounted or handheld. It's comforting to know that I'm not "losing it" after all.

Yoosta B. Blue
Old February 13, 2008, 10:05 AM   #27
rezmedic54

Lee Loader

I am new to reloading myself and after doing the same reading and talking to friends that reload I went with the Lee Load master. It turns out that it isn't as hard as I thought. I can take my time and still turn out a couple hundred rounds an hour. I'm very happy with the Lee and would recommend it to anyone starting out.
CCW Instrutor
NRA Certified Instructor
Gunsmith
Maricopa ,Az.

http:www.maricopashooting.com
Old February 13, 2008, 10:12 AM   #28
Walipala

Hey that's a neat press Yoosta. One thing you could do with it is bolt it to a small block of aluminum, maybe 1" x 4" x 5". Then you could still use it as a hand press OR clamp the block in a 5" bench vice (mounted to a sturdy bench) where it will work nicely as a mounted press.

Currently I've got my SS press bolted to a block of aluminum. I clamp it in a vice when I want to reload, then it gets put away in a cabinet when I am done.

EDIT=============

I just looked at that Lyman press a little further. One possible problem with using it as a hand press is that you'd have to pull the two handles apart to push the ram up. That might be a little more awkward than pushing the handles together, as with the Lee. I guess you'd have to try it, and see which muscles you'd rather develop.
Old February 13, 2008, 10:18 AM   #29
grymster2007

The Lyman Acculine looks like a nice press, but I would guess it's a bit heavy for use as a hand press... especially with it bolted to two pounds of aluminum. You would likely only use it in mounted mode.

Having Lee Hand and Turret presses gives lot's of flexibility and will be easy on your wallet also.
Old February 13, 2008, 03:54 PM   #30
Yoosta B. Blue

Just now sent in an Internet order for the Hand Press and related accessories. Even got a Single Stage press thrown in with the Richard Lee manual, so I'll be able to do some of my reloading tasks in the house, finishing them up out there on my loading bench. I'll report back and let you know what level my "fun meter" reaches after I'm all set up.

Yoosta B. Blue
Old February 13, 2008, 05:14 PM   #31
Yoosta B. Blue

A note to 73-Captain

Thanks, 73-Captain, for your concerns in what I'm getting into regarding the acquisition of some reloading equipment.

I'm not sure who you are referencing when you state -- "I'm not going to argue with KNOW-NOTHING, OPINIONATED, SELF-PROCLAIMED internet experts or with spoiled children over "who's toys are better" but I did want to respond to your post."

Since you are reading the responses in this thread, I'd like to cordially ask that you stop sending me private messages. Conversely, if you'd like to offer insights/suggestions/experiences as to what constitutes a wise choice of equipment in your estimation, geared towards helping any inquisitive readers who may happen by in quest of such help, then by all means, let 'er rip! Thanks!

Yoosta B. Blue
Old February 13, 2008, 08:36 PM   #32
rwilson452

go get um Yoosta!
Old February 13, 2008, 09:21 PM   #33
Walipala

I bet you'll be really happy with that setup. And it didn't dent your wallet too much...

That'll happen when you go to buy bullets and brass
Old February 13, 2008, 10:10 PM   #34
Buzzcook

This kit from Lee is a good start.
http://www.leeprecision.com/html/catalog/anivers.html
It's probably under $100 at midway or cabelas.

I use a Lee single stage. It works fine.
Old February 17, 2008, 07:30 PM   #35
zebulonsmith

Recently, I cleaned out a gunshop of some misc. reloading equipment and a Lee Loader came with it. Just for giggles, I gave it a try. I can't see loading more than maybe 10 rounds in an hour with this thing. You can grab the Lee anniversary kit for about $100. That will include everything but dies. I've been happy with it for a long time now. I load 9mm, 40, 45acp, 38, 357, 30-30, 222, and 30-06 with it and have no complaints other than that I'd like to get things done a little faster.
Old March 29, 2008, 03:41 AM   #36
Yoosta B. Blue

As an update to this thread, I'm *really* enjoying reloading! I went with an inexpensive approach in getting a kit from Lee that has both a single stage press, and a hand press. Thus far I have loaded 400 rounds of .38, 200 rounds of .357, and 50 .45 ACP. These have all shot well for me and I am really excited to learn how to handload these calibers.

One change that I've made as far as the Lee stuff is concerned. Though the Lee Safety Scale is touted as being extremely accurate, I find it to be very hard to read. So I traded some powder to a friend and obtained an RCBS 5-0-5 scale. It is light-years ahead of the Lee in my estimation, and super easy to read at a glance. I'm happy!

YBB
Old March 31, 2008, 09:10 AM   #37
ryalred

I have used the Lee Loader and produced some very accurate rounds, however, I have had several primer discharges driving them home with the metal rod and hammer method. (Maybe it was something I was doing incorrectly, but a primer discharge is a little disconcerting.) I changed to a single stage press and have never had a primer discharge. If I were going to continue to load with the Lee Loader I'd purchase a Lee Auto Prime for priming. It is done by hand and you'd still have the "hand on" experience but much less chance of a primer discharge. I'll also add--once I went to press reloading, I never regretted leaving the Lee Loader and would never consider going back to it.
Old March 31, 2008, 09:38 AM   #38
DEDON45

I too, would skip the Lee Loader... I tried it years ago, and hammering on that thing resizing rifle brass was a major pain... as was the often and unsettling discharge of primers whilst attempting to seat them. If you are just starting out, get a single stage Press (practically any of the ones sold out there will work, some better than others) or a turret press. If you are comfortable with the concept, get a progressive. The Lee Loaders may be useful in a survival situation, etc. but that's the only reason I'd have one.
Old April 1, 2008, 07:12 PM   #39
W. C. Quantrill

Well, I started out on a classic Lee Loader in 1958. I never did have a primer discharge. Some years later, I bought a used RCBS Rockchucker, that I still use. Later on I bought a Dillon 550.

Also in the middle of things I picked up a Lyman 310. You need to look at that. It is a hand setup that uses dies. Think of a big pair of pliers. Kick back in the Lazyboy and watch TV and load. Lay out on the dog town and load. Whaddya think that they made dies for, before the Rock Chucker?

If you plan on loading hundreds of rounds a week, then one of the fancy setups is fine. If you just want to shoot a hundred rounds a year, check out the 310. If you want to upgrade, your dies will fit in other presses. You dont have to be an elitist gun snob to have a good time.
Old April 2, 2008, 05:50 AM   #40
ShootingNut

If It's A Lee

Sassy Sue at Kempf's will make sure you get started with everything you need. Fair prices, good people to deal with.
http://www.kempfgunshop.com/products.../KempfKit.html