The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old March 18, 2001, 06:37 PM   #1
Chaingun

I have the older model that relies on the single screw mount, but it seems very unstable. Now I'm ready to get a real mount that includes the clip guide mount. I was at Fulton Armory http://www.fulton-armory.com/ and they have the two:
1) A.R.M.S. M14 Scope Mount, with optional Throw Lever Base (add on rail)
2) McCann Scope Mount quoted as a "Third Generation" Scope Mount for the M14/M1A.

Which one is best or is there another?
Old March 19, 2001, 07:26 AM   #2
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

Chaingun, I'd ask Fulton which they thought was the best and why. I haven't used either so I can't comment on them. George
Old March 19, 2001, 02:18 PM   #3
Chaingun

Fulton had some articles posted at the site discussing mounts. I'm now considering the Armscorp mount. It might be a 4th generation mount.
Old March 19, 2001, 08:47 PM   #4
HankL

This is one question where the search feature can get you a full time job! Try "scope mounts" in The Art of The Rifle forum. Here is one of many http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...threadid=57869 This one is fairly current as well.
I was going to post this an hour ago but had too much fun reading the old stuff! Even ran across the show me your's thread that was killing the bandwidth! Many a good suggeston on substitutes or superiors to the Brookfield can be found on this board.
Best Regards

Old March 1, 2009, 09:49 PM   #5
ssilicon

I just got one of these but have not put it on yet. Any opinions? It does seem to connect that the stripper clip area.

See:

http://www.promagindustries.com/accessories.asp

And look for part PM081.
Old March 3, 2009, 12:58 AM   #6
roklok

The ARMS 18 is an awesome mount, especially if you like low profile mounts. With it, you can mount a scope as low as possible over the receiver. However, some M1As have ejection issues with the newer model ARMS 18 with the full rail. Mine was one of them. To solve this problem, I got my trusty dremel and cut the unneeded middle section of rail out. This allows more room for ejecting brass to clear action, as well as allowing more room into action for cleaning and maintenance. The Origional ARMS 18 did not have a full rail, and in my opinion was a superior design. I would still recommend the ARMS 18, but keep in mind that because of the low profile design it could cause ejection issues unless modified. Or you could keep your eyes open for an older model without full rail.

That Pro-mag mount is an imported copy of the ARMS 18
Old March 3, 2009, 10:49 AM   #7
ssilicon

Thank you very much for that info. Sounds like I have got myself a great mount then, so long as I don't have ejection issues. If I do have issues with that I can try grinding away.

While I have your attention though and since you and the others here are such good sources of info. I was checking out my mount last night. Not to permanently install it yet, but just to see how it fit up and such. I noticed that the bolt supplied that goes into the side of the receiver was not allowing me to turn in very far by hand. Is that normal? Obviously it would be tightened (and torqued to spec) with a wrench but is it normal to not go in very far if turning by hand?
Old March 4, 2009, 11:11 PM   #8
roklok

SSILICON, sorry it took so long for a reply, my internet was down. I cant really speak for the Pro-mag mount, other than it being a copy of the ARMS 18. I would be a little cautious, with the screw. Try turning it gently with a wrench, but if it seems to hang up dont over do it. It would be a shame to booger up the threads in the receiver with an out of spec screw. My ARMS 18 screw went in easily until the mount was tight. If you do decide to modify the mount like I did, it just takes three cuts with a cutoff wheel. One at each end of rail, leaving room for your rings, and one in center where rail is connected to the side.
Old March 5, 2009, 09:33 AM   #9
ssilicon

Rok thanks. Yeah I share your concern of the receiver. That is why I limited myself to hand tightening for now. I will try to contact the mount maker to see what they say. Also, does anyone know the actual spec of the threads so I could drop by the hardware store and buy a "reference" bolt and try it (by hand again of course).
Old March 5, 2009, 06:11 PM   #10
ssilicon

Called the mount maker today (Pro Mag). They said they had a few reports of bolt problems. They are sending me out a couple at no charge. Will post back when I get them and check it out.
Old March 5, 2009, 06:54 PM   #11
roklok

I looked at the ProMag part numbers again. I believe the mount you have, PM081, is a SADLAK style mount. PM081A is the copy of ARMS 18. Sorry for any confusion. If you have PM081, I doubt you will have any ejection problems as it has more clearance.
Old February 16, 2011, 07:30 AM   #12
AARguy

M1A 4th Generation Mount

I used a Third Gen mount for awhile. It jams fairly easily as it blocks the ejection od an expended round. The new Fourth Generation is much better. Be aware that prices vary. I have seen as high as $262 and as low as $124. Visit http://usarmorment.com/springfield-m...nt-p-1651.html