The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old May 22, 2014, 12:20 AM   #1
Colorado Redneck

Cutting and rechambering a savage barrel

Can Savage barrels be cut off and rechambered to reset freebore? I can see that the lands are pretty much gone for maybe 3/4 of an inch from the throat. I have done the bit about pushing a bullet into the lands and that indicates there has been some erosion. The thing still shoots prairie dogs, but groups are getting bigger. So the thought occurred to me that maybe I could get some extended life from this barrel by having a smith cut and rechamber to the same caliber. It is 22-250 in a 12 Varmint stainless barrel.

Any advice or experience is great!
Old May 22, 2014, 10:30 AM   #2
hoghunting

Yes your barrel can be cut, shoulder set back, threaded and rechambered, but it might cost as much as buying a new barrel. There are many companies selling barrels for Savages.
Old May 22, 2014, 08:34 PM   #3
Colorado Redneck

Thanks, hoghunting. I thought the same thing. Then got to thinking it over and wondered about using the old barrel, but before taking it to a gunsmith wanted to know if it is even possible. Thanks again!
Old May 23, 2014, 06:55 PM   #4
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Get a new barrel in .22-250AI and go for 5,000fps.
Old May 23, 2014, 09:52 PM   #5
Colorado Redneck

Maybe make it a project gun. Shilen barrel, Boyd's stock (like the on you have) and then get after the prairie rats. It still shoots pretty good, so I have a while to consider. Then there are the other two guns that are slowly taking the place of that Savage.

Not really interested in 22-250 AI. The loads for the last 3-4 years for this gun have been more like hot loaded 223, so maybe the barrel life could be extended. 40 gr. Sierras at 3800 fps. when I could gettem. Now it is 50 gr. V-Max at 3600 fps.
Old May 24, 2014, 10:01 AM   #6
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

How far away are you shooting these critters? I love the .22-250 but there are rounds with better barrel life and low recoil, or some combination of less noise and recoil with similar or better life... 6BR, 20BR, .204Ruger (love the .204, love, love, love) etc, etc....
Old May 29, 2014, 09:01 PM   #7
Colorado Redneck

Brian-Up to 400+ yards. Don't hit a high percentage at the longer ranges, but if I hold my mouth just right and dope the breeze (luck) it is more fun to try those "reach out and touch something" shots. There is already a .204 Ruger that goes every time. And a 222 Rem. But that old 22-250 has my confidence (After a loooong drawn out learning curve on my part.) So keeping one of those in the safe is very appealing. The other day I lucked into a few acres of previously unshot over prairie dogs and the pups were well up and out of the hole. Over a 40 minute span I was changing rifles about every 12 shots, and they were getting pretty warm--darned uncomfortable to touch the barrels. 3 guns in the rotation was looking a bit thin for a few minutes there. Dang that's fun!
Old May 29, 2014, 09:43 PM   #8
std7mag

Could always do a 220 Swift.

Just a thought....
Old May 30, 2014, 08:02 AM   #9
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Well, .22-250 is a fantastic varmint cartridge. 35gr Nosler and Win748 would be you're friend. A flatter and less drifting bullet combination you will not find. We don't even bother figuring anything out to about 375. Just a hold a few inches high and a few into the wind.
Old June 9, 2014, 04:14 PM   #10
MDM

You probably are going to have a hard time setting the shoulder back on a Savage because they have none. The threaded shank is usually gonna be about 1.6" or so. Not to much past that and the barrel starts to taper so it makes it difficult to cut the whole chamber off and thread a new shank and get the thread engagement you need. Some aftermarket bull prefits have enough meat behind the shank to do a full set back, but for a factory barrel it will be tough to do.