The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old August 13, 2013, 04:21 AM   #1
NWCP

The Savage B Mag 17WSM

I was able to pick up the new Savage B Mag 17WSM (Winchester Super Magnum rimfire) and 500 rounds of 25 grain ballistic tip ammo. After running 200 rounds of the 25 grain ammo down the pipe all I can say is wow! It is one flat shooting long range rimfire cartridge and even though it is inexpensive the B Mag is an accurate 6 pound rifle. Maybe 7 pounds with the Mueller 4.5-14x40 scope mounted.

The whole rig is an inexpensive light weight accurate and reliable predator rifle that is good out to 250-300 yards. The 25 grain round travels at 2600fps while their 20 grain ballistic tip travels at 3000fps. The ballistics are comparable to the .22 hornet, only the drop is less with the 17WSM. The WSM gives up some energy out at 250 yards to the .22 Hornet, but still shoots flatter.

While I still rely on my AR15 in 6.8SPCII as my primary coyote killer I will be taking raccoon and coyote with the WSM. Whereas a box of 50 17WSM runs $16.99, or about .33 cents a shot my trusty 6.8 is a buck a round. If you're a varmint, or predator hunter and a fan of rimfire rifles, but have been limited to the 17HMR (which I still own and really enjoy) for distance shooting, the 17WSM is going to blow you away and anything that's unfortunate enough to get caught in your crosshairs.

If you have the chance to shoot the Savage in 17WSM do it. Being a fan of rimfire rifles and the 17 caliber cartridge it was a natural fit for my gun safe and hunting plans. On windless days my 17HMR is still a fun gun to shoot and the CZ452 with a Timney trigger is a nail driver, but the heavier 17WSM is less affected by the wind and has a much greater range and energy level. All in all Winchester has a hit on it's hands with the 17WSM. Now to find some time to take it hunting... and soon.
Old August 13, 2013, 08:07 AM   #2
g.willikers

Thanks for the review.
I have been thinking of getting a rifle for practice that is affordable to shoot.
This looks like a definite candidate.
Old August 13, 2013, 09:01 PM   #3
Opinated

Ammo is difficult to find- to say the least. Sellers on Gunbroker are gouging big time.
Old August 13, 2013, 09:13 PM   #4
Lucas McCain

How accurate is the rifle. I would really like to hear or see the groups it shoots. Give us a report please
Old August 14, 2013, 04:24 AM   #5
NWCP

At 50 yards it will shoot a ragged single hole. As the barrel heats up the group fits inside a quarter with no problem. I'll be shooting for accuracy hopefully this coming weekend at 100 yards. So far at 100 yards I've been plinking at wood chips on the range berm. Someone had left a shotgun shell on the berm and I walked it around until it flew off the berm onto the range. The rifle and the cartridge seem to work really well together.

I haven't been using a bench rest while breaking in the rifle. All of my shooting has been with a Harris bipod, or my field shooting stick. I really prefer to see how it performs with the tools I use while hunting, or plinking rather than a solid rest that I'd never have with me during normal use.

I am looking to shoot at p-dog shoot 'n' see targets on the 100 to get an idea of accuracy as the barrel heats up as it would during a day of varmint hunting. The reviews I've read boasted three shot groups within 1/2 MOA at 100 yards. From my experience so far if I do my part that seems reasonable with the 25 grain bullet. The reviews state the 25 grain is more accurate than the 20 grain. I have yet to find 20 grain ammo in my area so I won't be able to confirm that. If the range is open I'd like to see how it does at 200 yards as well. I'll keep you posted.

So far this new cartridge/rifle combination has been a lot of fun to shoot. I see no reason to think it won't catch on with serious rimfire hunters, or centerfire hunters that don't always need to be using their more expensive ammo to go after varmints, or predators within the limits of this system.
Old August 14, 2013, 04:31 AM   #6
NWCP

Quote:
Ammo is difficult to find- to say the least. Sellers on Gunbroker are gouging big time.
Opinionated is right on the money about that. It's disgusting what some of the sellers are asking for the 17WSM. You shouldn't be paying more than $16.99 per 50 rounds no matter where you're shopping. I seem to remember one clown asking $640 for a case of 500. I'm not a mathematician but that should be around $169.90 MSRP. He's asking $1.28 a round. What a joke.
Old August 14, 2013, 12:25 PM   #7
precision_shooter

Thanks for the review!

I'm still not sold on the 17WSM though. I would prefer a .204 and just roll my own. If I calculated correctly, should be able to reload .204 for $0.28/round which would make it $14 per box of 50... This is assuming you already had the brass. 22-250 may be another good option...

Just seems the 17WSM is a solution looking for a problem that's nowhere to be found. Maybe if I get to handle/shoot one it would change my mind. You can never have too many guns, right?
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson, 1776

Last edited by precision_shooter; August 14, 2013 at 12:32 PM.
Old August 15, 2013, 04:20 AM   #8
NWCP

I don't reload so the 17WSM works for me. I went with the .223 rather than the .204 for cost reasons. The rimfire rifles I own are for the pleasure of shooting them. The 17WSM actually fills a nice niche for someone that doesn't reload. I look forward to hunting with it. If you shoot one I think you'd enjoy it. Any lighter and the rifle could be tied to a kite string... almost. I also looked at the 17 Hornet. I still might get a CZ 527 in the 17 Hornet because as you so correctly stated, "you can never have too many guns".
Old August 15, 2013, 07:01 PM   #9
Grayson

.17 WSM

The .17WSM fills the need for us hog hunters that want to carry something on the refuge (rimfire only) that's a bit more accurate than the .22 mag.
Old August 16, 2013, 04:01 AM   #10
NWCP

The 17WSM is a lot more accurate than the .22 mag IMHO. Use the 25 grain ballistic tip.
Old August 16, 2013, 05:31 AM   #11
psycho nut

No pictures? What a travesty!! Interesting stuff though.
Old August 16, 2013, 11:55 AM   #12
Opinated

The independently owned gun shop that got my Savage .17 WSM rifle for me has not had any others of that caliber and stocks limited ammo. He is on the list with his suppliers to get some ammo for me at "regular" prices. Will not be stocking that caliber in his shop.
Another shop about 20 miles away placed ad yesterday in a local online paid classifieds site. This morning he had 3 boxes of the 20 grain and 4 boxes of the 25 grain with a limit of two boxes per customer per caliber. Priced about $4.00 per box above "regular" prices. Bought a box of each bullet weight. I did buy a couple of boxes of something else too. But 40 miles round trip plus the time makes ammo expensive. But that is the way it is.
Old August 20, 2013, 04:48 AM   #13
NWCP

Have you tried buying online? I scored 5 boxes from Cabellas online not long ago. While they don't have any now they will in the future. I also found some ammo at my local Big 5 of all places. Midway USA will be carrying it as well.
Old August 21, 2013, 09:32 PM   #14
delsol

Wanted a B-Mag but went a head and bought the Savage Axis in a 223 for plinking until the B-Mag has prove itself and has come more available. Still would like to buy one.
Old August 24, 2013, 06:48 PM   #15
Opinated

The gun dealer did get me two boxes of the 20 grain this week. Said it was all that his supplier had. Did charge me a couple of dollars more per box than the "list" price but much less than some sources. Pay the price or do without. He is looking for more for me. Have not yet had opportunity to fire the rifle.
What scope rings did you use on yours? Low cost versions for those rings appeals to me- leaves more money for ammo -- if I can find any.

Last edited by Opinated; August 25, 2013 at 08:15 AM.