The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old December 25, 2012, 06:27 PM   #1
Nathan

CCW a cap & ball?

If things continue as they are going, would you CCW a cap & ball revolver?

The reloads are crap, but I can hit pretty well with my 1858 Army. You definately need to make hits! A bug would be important.
Old December 25, 2012, 06:37 PM   #2
Hawg

If I had no other choice I would and would be confident in it.
Old December 25, 2012, 07:00 PM   #3
Old Grump
Member in memoriam

CCW is out of the question but I wouldn't really have to shoot anything more than once.

Good intentions will always be pleaded for any assumption of power. The Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern will, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.
--Daniel Webster--
Old December 25, 2012, 07:26 PM   #4
Beagle333

And....if you were to miss....you've created your own smokescreen for a nice getaway!
Old December 25, 2012, 07:30 PM   #5
Old Grump
Member in memoriam

Quote:
And....if you were to miss....you've created your own smokescreen for a nice getaway!
Watcha talkin bout Willis?

Actually if I missed I could fire 3 more times and have enough time to reload one of the guns as long as it wasn't to windy.

Miss????
Good intentions will always be pleaded for any assumption of power. The Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern will, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.
--Daniel Webster--
Old December 25, 2012, 07:31 PM   #6
mete

In the old days military revolvers were often sold and carried with a spare cylinder for quick reloads.Civil War was the time when cavalry sabers where obsolete. They carried as much as six revolver instead !
Of course today some carry a "NY reload" ,that is an extra revolver .
Old December 25, 2012, 07:34 PM   #7
Old Grump
Member in memoriam

That's why I paired up, I'm to old to be swinging sabers, cutlasses and rapiers anymore. Them days are 30 years behind me.
--Daniel Webster--
Old December 25, 2012, 07:36 PM   #8
Beagle333

Quote:
Of course today some carry a "NY reload" ,that is an extra revolver .
That's the first time I've ever hear that. Neat.
Old December 25, 2012, 08:33 PM   #9
Hawg

Quote:
In the old days military revolvers were often sold and carried with a spare cylinder for quick reloads.
Umm, no, they weren't. Military revolvers were sold in the crate with a few screwdrivers and one spare nipple for every revolver.
Old December 27, 2012, 10:09 PM   #10
Shotgun693

I have carried my Colt SAA or a clone on occasion. They have a nice reassuring heft that a little gun lacks.
Old December 28, 2012, 12:57 PM   #11
Noz

They would work for CCW but there are so many better choices out there.
Old December 28, 2012, 01:48 PM   #12
Vireye

I'd be concerned about it, not because I doubt the weapon or your capabilities with it, but because of the potential issues.

I believe it was as long as a year ago, but a man was shot and killed with a cap and ball revolved in the northeast (I want to say michigan or the like...I'll try to find the article!).

The media got ahold of the fact that they don't need to be registered, and it caused a stink for a short while.

Obviously it died down and disappeared, but with the current state of things, I'd be worried that if you were ever seen with it, or, God forbid, forced to use it, it would open the floodgates for more regulations regarding our beloved black powder firearms.
Old December 28, 2012, 06:16 PM   #13
Old Grump
Member in memoriam

Quote:
Obviously it died down and disappeared, but with the current state of things, I'd be worried that if you were ever seen with it, or, God forbid, forced to use it, it would open the floodgates for more regulations regarding our beloved black powder firearms.
Are you saying if it was all you had and you needed to shoot to defend yourself you would not shoot in order to keep the reputation of black powder guns unsullied?

Remember all the wars we were in before the French developed smokeless powder, remember Wild Bill Hickock and his little 36 caliber. I think it's pretty well established that cap and ball revolvers are deadly.
--Daniel Webster--
Old December 28, 2012, 06:18 PM   #14
4V50 Gary
Staff

Old Grump - those are nice holsters you have for your Walkers.
Old December 28, 2012, 07:36 PM   #15
woodnbow

A lady rancher in the area used a .44 revolver to kill her ex. She was charged but aquitted in his death. One round ball center mass was all it took.
Old December 31, 2012, 11:04 AM   #16
brazosdave

If it was all I had available, I've always felt that any gun is better than no gun. Most of my b.p revolvers, with the exception of the .31, are a bit bulky to try and carry around concealed though. that's why I usually just stick my derringer in my pocket, even my 9mm and my .357 are a bit bulky.
Old December 31, 2012, 12:44 PM   #17
RevGeo

I pack my .36 Navy around with me when I'm fishing or hiking. I usually shoot it once a week or so just to keep fresh loads in it. I'd carry it concealed if I wanted to pack a gun in social situations. For a long time it was my only handgun and I never felt under-gunned with it. With a cylinder full of FFF its close enough to a .38Sp for me.
Old January 1, 2013, 12:47 PM   #18
bedbugbilly

Just curious . . . for you guys that are going to carry one CCW - and carry it "concealed" so it doesn't "print" . . . . how are you going to do it? Ankle holster, on the belt, shoulder or just tuck it in the back int he waistline? I make holsters as a hobby . . . this opens up a whole new market . . . I think the first in my line of CCW holsters will be a nice form fitted ankle holster for a Walker.
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old January 1, 2013, 01:28 PM   #19
BirchOrr

Quote:
I think the first in my line of CCW holsters will be a nice form fitted ankle holster for a Walker.
LOL!!!

Now that'd make a feller walk with a gimp now wouldn't it.

B
Black Powder: Not because it is easy, but because it is hard, because that goal will serve to organize and measure the best of our energies and skills, because that challenge is one that we are willing to accept, one we are unwilling to postpone, and one which we intend to win...
Old January 1, 2013, 01:38 PM   #20
Beagle333

it ain't perfect.... but you can do it..

Me an IdahoMike did at-one-time toy with the idea of carrying a 1860 up as high as possible (to be hidden under a jacket or maybe a flannel overshirt) and still be "drawable".

http://thefiringline.com/forums/show...ight=high+ride
Old January 1, 2013, 02:23 PM   #21
IDAHOMIKE

Beagle,
I still use that leather from time to time. I don't use the 1860 as much anymore. Now instead of walking out the back door to unload for fresh charges, I have to drive out to the shootin' pit.
To the original question, I have and will continue to use a Cap n ball as a carry piece. Not a regular one, but one none the less. In fact Ive got a snub 1860 that I have 100% faith in and am in the process of building a pancake holster for it.
Old January 1, 2013, 07:21 PM   #22
robhof

robhof

I used to open carry my stainless ROA in Miami when boating or night fishing. Got bothered by the marine patrol, but the law is they're not pistols and I got away with warnings that I was looking for trouble, and I always replied that I was aiming to end trouble. This was in the mid 80's and I was stationed at Homestead AFB. Went night fishing with some buddies one evening and some thugs were harassing all the fishermen til they got to me and I pulled back my jacket to show my cowboy rig, they ran and several fishermen started clapping, that was the 1st time I wore it, didn't leave home without it after that.
Old January 1, 2013, 09:03 PM   #23
Delmar

Concealed carry, no! Open carry, you bet!
Old January 2, 2013, 08:36 PM   #24
WildBill45

Trust me, a pair of Colts or even one will still kill as well as they did back in the day. We are no more bullet proof than back then!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mkGYu235vgE

Tons of fun nonetheless...

"If Ands and Buts were Candy and Nuts, everyday would be like Christmas"
Old January 3, 2013, 09:52 PM   #25
prm

Been shooting Colt 2nd Generations since the early 80s. During that time I have carried these from time to time and probably will again. My favorite is the Pocket Police. I'm very meticulous in both cleaning and loading and have had very few problems with reliability. They shoot a little high from point of aim, but with practice they are plenty accurate enough to take an occasional rabbit. It is very safe to say, the history of these gun have proven their effectiveness.

Are there better choices - absolutely. But, they do work.

The pre-ban elephant ivory grips were my upgrade.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Pocket Colts.jpg (173.0 KB, 58 views)