The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old September 21, 2008, 09:44 PM   #1
AA080

Red Flags when inspecting a potential purchase?

Hello,

I was wondering when you are inspecting a semi in person, or on the web, what are some red flags for you?

Today I was inspecting an older Walther PPK, and the rear sight was about as far over to the right as it can get. I know there can be a few user related reasons that the sights are that far over, but it made me wary...

Thanks
Old September 21, 2008, 09:56 PM   #2
B.N.Real

If it looks like it was used as a baseball in a parking garage I'd pass on it.

I have to laugh when I see gun sellers on the internet selling guns that MIGHT have a war lineage and they look like total hell and they write"Might have seen some war action."

No, it might have seen some throw it in a box and forget about it action for like thirty years.

Any gun that is excessively loose side to side,
has bent parts on it,
is incompete,
has a just terribly done new blueing job on it,
has scrub marks on the bottom of the grip
or the end of the barrel
or the top of the sights,
cycles like it has sand in it or rust in the gun itself
I pass on it.

I see way too many great quality used guns to accept someone elses problem especially with a bs line that "It's a classic."

Yea,a classic pain in the rear if you buy it.

Now if someone were to sell me a box of colt 1903 or 1908 parts,enough to make some complete guns for say $100,I would'nt pass on it.
Old September 21, 2008, 09:57 PM   #3
madmag

Quote:
and the rear sight was about as far over to the right as it can get.
If the gun seems to function well otherwise, then sights being off is probably due to the shooters eyes or personal sighting problems. People that are not aware of their dominant eye can shoot off quite a bit. Especially if they are using one eye open rather than both eyes open.

Now I will cover myself and say there is no guarantee unless you shoot the pistol yourself. Also, as the other poster said above, I am assuming that the pistol is not in junk condition....then all bets are off.
Old September 21, 2008, 10:01 PM   #4
JohnKSa
Staff

My PPK shoots pretty far to the left as you stretch the range. At reasonable pocket pistol ranges it's not enough to worry about. I may drift the sight over one day just for the heck of it...

A few things to look for:

Check the gun to see if it's as tight, overall, as it should be.

Look at it to see if it shows signs of being neglected (not enough lubricant, built up fouling, cleaning rod damage to the muzzle, etc.)

Look at the breechface to see how much it's been shot. Over many rounds, the brass cartridge head will polish a circle onto the breechface.

Check it for function (to the extent that is possible/reasonable).
Old September 21, 2008, 10:14 PM   #5
alloy

price could be a clue i think since there are alot of them around used, i recently bought my second(ppk/s) and went around to about 5 stores, till i found what i believe was the best used out of maybe 10 or 12. like new 1995 SS interarms in box for 450 after i talked to the guy a while and he knocked off 80 bux. magazines showed no wear, slide was tight, decocker lever was smooth but crisp. face of the hammer didnt have any smooth areas from excessive use. tons of wear marks on the trigger guard side from disassembly or drop marks anywhere?

in these stores if one is marked 350 i probobly wouldnt inquire about it...look around and compare it to the new one beside it. have them break it down and look inside. im no expert...but you can tell the difference .
Old September 23, 2008, 11:27 AM   #6
cbm1948

Caveat Emptor

My classic no go are the screw heads. If they are "boogered up" I usually pass, unless the deal is too good to resist. If the persons using the screw driver did not know enough to use the proper tool, they most likely did not know enough to open the gun in the 1st place, so there could be hidden damage or cheap replacement parts. Just my Caveat emptor.

Clint

Last edited by cbm1948; September 23, 2008 at 12:42 PM. Reason: sp
Old September 23, 2008, 12:10 PM   #7
AA080

Good one Clint!