The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old May 10, 2013, 02:00 PM   #26
James K
Member In Memoriam

As others have noted, almost any screw with the right threads will work, but a Philips head would look a bit odd. If you want it to look right, try Dixie Gun Works (www.dixiegunworks.com). They have those screws for both Colt originals and repros.

Jim
Old May 10, 2013, 02:31 PM   #27
straightcut

Why didn't I think of that?

Thanks for that suggestion! I just looked and DGW has an excellent selection, including screw kits (all screws needed for a particular make & model). They don't appear to have stainless screws for Uberti's, but I can probably dress mine with a file and be ok.

I was looking everywhere on-line, but didn't think of them!
Old May 10, 2013, 06:39 PM   #28
Dixie Gunsmithing
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Thanks for the abundance of responses. I'm looking for replacement screws so I match the original narrow slot and head as well as just the thread. Will these vendors have the narrow slot screw heads? I don't want this to look like I just screwed in something that "fit".

No, these would be industry standard size at the hardware. If it is a special gun screw, manufactured by the gun company, sometimes the head and slot will be different. About anyone making Colt replicas will have the same screw.