The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old November 6, 2012, 08:08 PM   #1
Panfisher

AR-15 Cleaning Tools

Aside from the basic brushs, solvents etc. What are the "needed" tools to properly clean an AR-15. Thinking more along the lines of getting the carbon deposits out of those hard to reach tubes and recesses. Any of the carbon scraper/removers worth the cost or just old school bronze brushes, solvent and elbow grease.
Old November 6, 2012, 08:30 PM   #2
BobCat45

A bore guide. This is the one I use - https://www.possumhollowproducts.com/BORE_GUIDES.html - but there are others.

Some people buy long pipecleaner-like things to clean the gas tube, but I've never used one.

Clean the bore. Take the bolt out of the bolt carrier, take the extractor off, and soak the bolt in cleaning solvent. I use Ed's Red, it is cheap and effective, but most people aren't that cheap. Wipe dry and reassemble.

I use Lubriplate on the rings but most people are happy with their favorite gun oil.
Old November 6, 2012, 11:31 PM   #3
djcantr

PatchWorm for the bore. I use Q-tips and occasionally a nylon brush for the rest.
Old November 7, 2012, 06:31 AM   #4
Marquezj16

http://www.joeboboutfitters.com/OTIS...tis-fg-223.htm

Get this. All you need.
Old November 7, 2012, 10:12 AM   #5
madcratebuilder

I use one special cleaning tool, it makes short work of cleaning neglected BCG's.

Old November 7, 2012, 08:34 PM   #6
Dfariswheel

There are two major methods of cleaning carbon out of the AR: Mechanical and chemical.

Mechanical methods use a scraper tool. The pictured C.A.T. tool shown is one of the best, because unlike most tools, this one tool does it all.

The chemical method is to use a carbon removal chemical like Slip 2000 Carbon Killer.
All that's needed is to shake the jar thoroughly then soak the parts in it for 15 minutes. Finish by brushing the areas.
For some areas, you can wet patches and pack them in the carboned area.

DO NOT, EVER put anything in the gas tube. The tube is totally self-cleaning and putting anything in the tube is very much a NO-NO.
If you ever have any kind of trouble with the tube, you simply replace it.
The only tube cleaning that even might be needed is to wipe off the outside of the tube where it enters the receiver.
Old November 9, 2012, 10:52 AM   #7
chuckles

get an Otis kit and a dewey chamber rod with some AR15 chamber brushes, and a bolt cleaning tool like the CAT shown above. Some good lube, like Slip EWL, a solvent like Hoppes, and you are good. JMHO and as usual, YMMV
Old November 13, 2012, 08:52 PM   #8
ClydeFrog

Cool stuff & useful gadgets....

Leatherman marketed a cool multi-tool based on T&Es & feedback from US combat troops. Brownells; www.Brownells.com also puts out a AR rifle catalog for gunsmith parts/supplies. A Boresnake Viper would be useful.
As for CLPs, check out the top rated: Ballistol, LPX, Gunzilla & Weaponshield.

See these sites for details: www.natchezss.com www.galls.com www.uscav.com www.mpro7.com www.gunzilla.us www.actiongear.com www.policehq.com www.midwayusa.com www.weaponshield.com .

CF
Old November 14, 2012, 03:13 PM   #9
RadioFlyer8

I use an Otis kit and q tips. Nothing more than that.
Old November 14, 2012, 06:21 PM   #10
scsov509

Quote:
Aside from the basic brushs, solvents etc. What are the "needed" tools to properly clean an AR-15. Thinking more along the lines of getting the carbon deposits out of those hard to reach tubes and recesses. Any of the carbon scraper/removers worth the cost or just old school bronze brushes, solvent and elbow grease.
I don't think any of the special tools are necessary to properly maintain an AR. I use a good old fashioned rod, some patches, a toothbrush or cleaning brush, and rags. Treat the bore like you would any other rifle. Then spray down the BCG and chamber really well, let it soak or use the brush to scrub lightly, and then wipe down and re-lube. The only place I give much special attention on my AR's is the bolt and lugs, and any kind of cleaning brush or toothbrush works more than adequate for that. I agree with Pat Rogers who says, "If it takes you more than 10 minutes then you're doing it wrong."

There's another thread on the same subject going on now here. It's simply a myth that an AR needs to be immaculately clean to function reliably.
Old November 14, 2012, 07:58 PM   #11
Mrgunsngear

Quote:
I don't think any of the special tools are necessary to properly maintain an AR.
Agreed. Some help speed the process up but nothing outside of normal cleaning supplies are needed.

AR Cleaning & Lubricating Beginners Guide Link
Old November 16, 2012, 07:03 AM   #12
Lavallee1009

No special tools needed

Just use your favorite solvent on the carrier group and barrel and apply plenty of lubrication before reassembly.