The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old September 6, 2012, 11:21 AM   #26
farmerboy

agree that the only reason for this thread is a way to get people aguing on witch is better. Both, tell your friend to get which ever he chooses just like all of us on here. Dont try and start this thread for laughs. This one needs to be closed for that reason.
Old September 7, 2012, 08:15 PM   #27
Dashunde

Quote:
Plastic or metal
Quote:
With that in mind why would anyone buy a Glock?
This guy managed to slip in TWO versus subjects. Sneaky Sneaky.

Ah, what does it matter, who really cares? Were not wasting ink and paper.. just time, which is part of the internet deal, might even be its real reason for being.

We conversate a whole lot faster than the industry and products change... got to have something to talk about in the meantime.
Old September 8, 2012, 06:02 PM   #28
BoogieMan

No sneaking just wondering the reel opinion. I think plastic guns are reliable and have very good uses such as carry. I dont think that they are as well suited for a range gun. Just my opinion, but I wanted to see if it held water.

Anyway took my buddy to all of the LGS's. He was able to fire a Glock alongside my Kimber yesterday. Today he was able to fire a 92FS. He loved it and bought it. Unfortunately its raining now. Tomorrow we are going to go shoot the new out of that gun. I think the LGS owner sold him when he told him the round count on the rental gun 92FS that he shot. Somewhere around 50k.
Your tactics suck"
- Unknown
Old September 8, 2012, 06:09 PM   #29
farmerboy

Plastic vs metal? How about Glock vs XD? It's whatever you like!
Old September 8, 2012, 06:25 PM   #30
RBid

For a range only gun?

My priorities for that are 1) trigger, 2) ergonomics.

9mm 1911 or Walther PPQ.
Old September 9, 2012, 08:48 AM   #31
Dashunde

Quote:
I think plastic guns are reliable and have very good uses such as carry. I dont think that they are as well suited for a range gun. Just my opinion, but I wanted to see if it held water.
I'd agree with the first part of that - they're good for carry and make for good "tools".
The second part doesnt really hold water, they also make good range guns, there are many examples (torture tests, etc) of very high mileage Glocks and HK's, among others. Plus all of the competition polys that have eaten many many thousands of rounds.
They just dont have that all-metal feel of forever.

Metal or plastic - it doesnt really matter much, they'll all usually out-last their owners.
But no, I woudnt consider plastics to be heirloom guns or those passed down through several generations.
Old September 9, 2012, 09:06 AM   #32
wpsdlrg

Both types have advantages and disadvantages to the end user. Metal frames - more weight (less felt recoil), possibly more durability (not proved), more damage resistant (again, not proved), etc. Plastic frames - lighter (CC advantage), lower cost generally, better weather resistance, better resistance to sweat while carrying, etc.

I think it more important to be concerned about the overall quality and soundness of the pistol in question, rather than focusing on the grip frame material. I like both - but if absolutely put to it in a hypothetical preference - I'd pick metal. However, I would NOT choose a gun (over another) JUST because of the frame material.

For CC, I must say that I DO like the weather and sweat resistance of a polymer framed gun. That means a good bit to me - more than I thought it would.
Old September 9, 2012, 11:25 AM   #33
Sevens

Seems like of all the buddies in my circle of gun guy friends, only one other is kind of like me in that we both like to buy handguns because we LOVE handguns. Everyone else, or so it seems, buys handguns with the idea that if they own it, it's going to get worked in to a carry rotation in some manner if it is at all possible in any way.

Me? I have two polymer handguns. My EDC is a Glock 29 and I carry it always, any & everywhere that I'm legally able to wear a handgun. It's on me now, and if I'm dressed and out of bed, it's most likely IWB.

I have one other polymer, it's a crime-bill era Ruger P-95. I bought it because it was priced at $229 and it's what goes with me when I'm headed somewhere that I may not legally carry and the gun is forced to be left in the car where it might get stolen.

Every other handgun I own is made of aluminum, an alloy, or of steel. I have no desire to ever buy another polymer anything. Never say never of course, and when a fantastic deal presents itself, I have no problem snagging something that I might flip later, but I have no desire for any more polymer handguns. I hope that I never have to replce my G29, or buy another Glock for any reason.

It works for me, quite well actually, but I don't want more of them.
Old September 11, 2012, 02:53 AM   #34
Morgo

If he is not on a budget I'd be looking at plenty of others. 1911's are great for the range, so are some of the Sig models, CZ and many others.
Old September 12, 2012, 09:53 AM   #35
iblong

I like both for carry I'll take plastic or aloy for range or hd I'd rather have steel
hammer fired full size all day long.Sig,Cz,1911's.