The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Lock and Load: Live Fire Exercises

Old January 3, 2012, 01:24 AM   #51
Justice06RR

I always dryfire my semiauto's and my AR15's for trigger/shooting practice (after clearing them of course). Never have any issues. like they say, practice makes perfect..
Old January 4, 2012, 12:28 AM   #52
Kimbertron

I dry fire alot... cheap way to get a smooth trigger on my sp101 lol.
Old January 28, 2012, 01:42 PM   #53
doofus47

I use snap caps in both my handguns and rimfire rifles

When I work from home, I sit at the kitchen table and play a game where I try to "shoot" as quickly as possible all the knobs on a couple cabinet doors from across the room.
Old January 28, 2012, 03:57 PM   #54
Clifford L. Hughes

jcvibby:

Serious dry firing develops grip, trigger finger placement, sight alignment and trigger release. When I was shooting on several Marine Corps rifle and pistol teams I dry fired this way for about thirty minuets a day: some times longer

I placed a kitchen chair with its back facing me about ten feet form a blank white wall with no target. The chair simulates the firing line bench. With the pistol resting on the back of the chair I got my grip, placed my finger on the trigger, focused my eyes on the front sight and raised the pistol. Next I aligned the sights on the wall and released the trigger. Any disturbance of my sight alignment from my trigger release was apperant.

Semper Fi.

Gunnery sergeant
Clifford L. Hughes
USMC Retired
Old January 29, 2012, 11:52 AM   #55
8MM Mauser

I dry fire my rifle and pistol at a target at a target taped up in my basement, to develop trigger control and help build the muscles that hold the gun up for offhand shooting.

Most of my dry firing is offhand, though I do sometimes lay the rifle across my workbench and fire five to ten times. I mostly don't see the point in "training" to shoot off a bench other than just getting into and maintaining a good position.

With my HD shotgun I will step into one of the rooms in my house (when I am home alone) and dry fire at five different targets as fast as I can. I try to mentally imagine the targets before I enter the room. Sometimes I set them up on purpose. It at least feels like great practice for acquiring a super quick sight picture and squeezing the trigger.
Old January 29, 2012, 02:08 PM   #56
Cycrops

I have been dry-firing for about an hour a week using snap caps. The DA pull in my Beretta is very heavy but I want to see if I can learn to fire it accurately (my first range session with the gun saw my DA shots way off target). I expect dry firing will be good for getting to know the trigger as well as building strength for my grip and trigger finger.

I've been doing this in the living room, but despite being paranoid about safety and making sure not to have any live rounds in the same room with me, I think I'm going to move my dry fire operations to the basement where I can aim at a concrete wall and be sure no family members come walking by.

This thread also gave me the idea of taping up targets that match those I use at the range to help me acquire my front site faster (picking a random point on the fireplace mantle doesn't seem to work well for that).
Old January 31, 2012, 03:22 AM   #57
Neven

I practice with dry firing and so does the agency I work for. Any new scenario is always ran while dry firing and then done live. For work I use a Glock 22 and when at home for fun my single action Rugers. Never had any issues.
Old January 31, 2012, 05:54 AM   #58
bejay

have always dry fired but maybe not excessivly and never have had any problems from doing it so far.
Old February 10, 2012, 05:56 PM   #59
TheWanderingRed

Per advice I've received here actually, I dry fire my Ruger at least three times a week. Mostly working on sight picture, and smooth trigger pull, also strengthening my arms.
Working my way up to deployment drills etc. In the mean time its much cheaper than feeding this thing.
Old February 25, 2012, 03:25 PM   #60
gunsgongcrazy

I do it regularly with all. As far as the rimfires go, I never used to dry fire but I did some trigger work recently on my Marlin 917 and had to test my work. I put an empty shell in the chamber for this when I was testing/tuning.
Old February 25, 2012, 10:57 PM   #61
straightShot

I practice regularly. Drawing and firing quickly with accuracy are tantamount to winning.

One thing that I always do is to unload and put my ammo in another room prior to dry firing in a designated dry fire area. After reloading in the other room, I tell myself three times that my gun is loaded.
Old February 26, 2012, 05:12 AM   #62
nbrown

at recruit training, we had "Grass Week" which is an entire week of snapping in, dry firing. we did it all day, i couldnt even tell you how many times i dry fired my M16A4. I had always heard dry firing was bad but i wouldn't think twice about it now.
Old February 26, 2012, 05:28 AM   #63
Pond, James Pond

I had always thought that dry-firing was a no-no.

However, it was activelyt promoted as a means of improving my trigger action on my G19, the manual said it is perfectly OK with my Redhawk, and I asked on here about the rimfire Ruger MkIII and, again, the response was it is not a problem....

So..., yes I do: probably half a dozen times a week on the .44 and .22 and 20 times or so on the Glock
Old February 26, 2012, 08:44 PM   #64
JohnKSa
Staff

Quote:
I had always thought that dry-firing was a no-no.
Good point. It can definitely cause problems on some guns, but those guns will usually note that fact in the manual.

Most modern centerfires can tolerate dryfiring.
Old February 28, 2012, 05:09 PM   #65
Unclenick
Staff

Yes. Some guns are vulnerable and some are not. Check the manual. If you don't have or can't get hold of one, use a snap cap. That's what they're made for.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old February 29, 2012, 07:25 AM   #66
deadasslast2004

dry fire the glock several times a week

i have doen it for decades and see nothing wrong with the practice.
Old February 29, 2012, 07:26 AM   #67
checkmyswag

Yes...w snap caps.
Old March 1, 2012, 08:41 AM   #68
tobnpr

Haven't done much (with handguns) since there's no way to gauge your success without a laser. I did (and my sons, as well) dry fire rifles when we first started in the sport.

I gotta get one of those laser targets that you can set up in your family room. You fire at the target, then fire at another spot on it and it lights up your hits. Cool as hell...
Old March 4, 2012, 06:04 PM   #69
CarbineWilliams

I got some of the .45 colt A-Zoom snap caps to check the conversion cylinder I got for a BP cylinder and for dry-fire practice. They have high quality aluminum bodies and tough but rubbery plastic in the primer. It leaves a great impression of where the firing pin hits and they're perfect for checking where the pin(s) are striking... and provides a similar amount of resistance that a real primer would. They were less than $10 w/shipping for the pack of six.

I'd recommend them for any weapon, even if you weren't worried about damage from dry firing on an empty chamber... for instance you may be doing some work on your weapon and need to check the cycling/action and make sure the primers were being hit hard enough and in the right place.
Old August 14, 2012, 07:00 PM   #70
plexinico

I like to mix snap caps and live ammo at the range. That is the beauty of dry firing (not knowing if it goes bang or not)
Its easy to dry fire at home without moving, its harder at the range!
Old September 20, 2012, 11:36 PM   #71
Danxyz53

I got a Laserlyte 9 mm laser cartiridge and have been doing 200-500 dry fires a day for 2 weeks. It has helped my laser accuracy, getting a consistent grip and trigger squeeze. I'l find out if it helps at the range this weekend.
Old October 2, 2012, 06:12 PM   #72
Internetlad

when I was looking at rimfire rugers for the first time, the sales clerk was expressing his thoughts on the matter about how "ruger really gets how important dry firing is"

And to be honest it is a huge part of it. Helps you understand a lot about a firearm's "attitude" when you're first getting to know it, and i've seen people who note that it's important for training as well.
Old October 2, 2012, 09:09 PM   #73
Gerry

A person doesn't have to actually pull the trigger during dry fire all the time. Just picking up the gun and aligning the sights is a good exercise. If you can't do that naturally and automatically wherever you're looking, pulling the trigger is (almost) just a distraction.
Old October 2, 2012, 09:15 PM   #74
4runnerman

I shoot every weekend so i never feel the need to.,,,But the way i shoot my pistol i should probebly dry fire all day. I suck with a pistol. I can keep a 6 inch group at 25 feet with it and i figure thats good enough.
Old October 3, 2012, 08:19 AM   #75
Belve

i dry fire all my firearms and havent had any issues in doing so. I dont do it often but every now and then i dont think will hurt anything