The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old May 27, 2009, 04:18 PM   #1
iamdug

FFL...

Does anyone know if I need an FFL to refurbish and sell old guns? Or is it some kind of tax/license/no fees for historical restoration like on antique cars? I bought an older gun from '35 and the...
Old May 27, 2009, 04:30 PM   #2
Hkmp5sd

Well......the book answer would be yes, you need an FFL because you are buying, performing the services of a gunsmith and then selling the firearm for profit.

However, if you are only doing one or two a year, restoring as a hobby, and not making money from the sale (other than to recover your costs), probably not.

You should write to ATF and get a written statement. Don't listen to us online lawyers. We are worth everything you paid for our advice.

NRA Life Member
Old May 27, 2009, 09:10 PM   #3
James K
Member In Memoriam

Just my $.02, but it also matters what you mean by "refurbish." If you mean just cleaning off the cosmoline and dirt or maybe replacing a part, I doubt you need a license. But if you alter the rifles, or "sporterize" them, then Hkmp5sd is correct, you will need a manufacturers license, since you are making "new" guns.

Of course there is also the question of where you get the rifles and how you sell them. Buying and selling guns, even for minimal profit, requires a dealer's license; doing it without the license or doing on a C&R license would be illegal.

Jim
Old May 28, 2009, 07:27 PM   #4
iamdug

Damn...

Well, both liscenses are out since Im only 16 just thought i'd try to make a frigin buck doin somthin i love but NO...I better not start.
Old May 28, 2009, 08:17 PM   #5
Doyle

How about this - find the biggest independent gun dealer near you (not one of the big chain stores) and tell the owner that you have a long-term interest in the gun business. If he won't hire you outright, ask if he will let you do the cleaning on his trade in guns and get paid per gun. Keep your price low enough to get his interest. If you prove to him that you can be an asset, you are more likely to get a real job with him.
Old May 29, 2009, 03:03 PM   #6
Hkmp5sd

Quote:
Well, both liscenses are out since Im only 16
Just out of curiousity, even without the licenses, how were you planning on acquiring the firearms to begin with?

NRA Life Member