The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old May 22, 2007, 08:11 AM   #1
SundownRider

Anyone do this?

I have been looking for a way to have an accessible handgun on the first floor of my house without running the risk of my children (two beautiful boys, 3+5) discovering the weapon. I was thinking of the "hide in plain sight" method, and thought cutting out a section of a large enough book would be appropriate. We have bookshelves in the office which reach to the ceiling, and I would be able to place the book high enough to be out of reach of my children, but quickly accessible by me in need.

Anyone try this with any success?
" Of every One-Hundred men, Ten shouldn't even be there, Eighty are nothing but targets, Nine are real fighters... We are lucky to have them...They make the battle. Ah, but the One, One of them is a Warrior... and He will bring the others back."
- Heraclitus (circa 500 BC)
Old May 22, 2007, 08:33 AM   #2
tydephan

I dunno man. What if they found it by accident?
Old May 22, 2007, 08:41 AM   #3
kcshooter

NO. Bad idea. I'm a father too and every gun in my house is locked tight other than the one on my hip. If you want a gun within reach, carry it on you.
Old May 22, 2007, 08:44 AM   #4
44 Deerslayer

+1 on finding it by "accident". When I was a kid I found everything I wasn't supposed to find. When I had kids growing up I always kept guns and ammo under lock and key and the only key was on my keychain. Don't take a chance.

Now that the kids are grown, I only lock up my home defense gun when the grandkids visit.
Old May 22, 2007, 08:50 AM   #5
SundownRider

Thanks for the responses. In hindsight, I would hate to forget its there, and be reminded when my oldest, who loves to read, is searching for new material and finds a book that really can't be judged by its cover.
" Of every One-Hundred men, Ten shouldn't even be there, Eighty are nothing but targets, Nine are real fighters... We are lucky to have them...They make the battle. Ah, but the One, One of them is a Warrior... and He will bring the others back."
- Heraclitus (circa 500 BC)
Old May 22, 2007, 08:59 AM   #6
Glenn E. Meyer

Combo lock box is what we did. You can put it on a shelf of the book case.
Old May 22, 2007, 09:01 AM   #7
Johannes_Paulsen

How about a small pistol safe bolted down at the back of a kitchen cabinet, like under the sink? That way, even if they find it, they won't be able to open it or take it anywhere.

EDIT: I have one of those Stack-on brand $40.00 safes from Gander Mountain -- they have a numeric keypad combination and come with mounting holes and screws on the bottom. Wouldn't stop a really determined thief, but enough to keep the pistol out of the hands of little ones.

Last edited by Johannes_Paulsen; May 22, 2007 at 10:21 AM.
Old May 22, 2007, 09:23 AM   #8
allenomics

Do it and one kid playing with what he thinks is a "toy" might kill the other and you'll probably go to jail. The surviving child might be harmed psychologically for his entire lifetime; you too. Just the act of having a firearm accessible to a child is a federal crime.
Old May 22, 2007, 10:14 AM   #9
john in jax

Your firearms can be safely locked away, but gotten to quickly and easily in any number of electrontic/digital handgun safes which can be bolted inconspicuously into a closet or cabinet.

A friend of mine has handguns stashed in a few areas of his house in Stack-On electronic safes he bought for +/-$50 each at Dick's Sporting goods.

WalMart and Harbor Freight each carry a variety of electronic safes.

Go to ebay and search "handgun safe". Check out the safes in the office section of your nearest Walmart. Visit your local sporting goods superstore. There are MANY options that will allow you quick access to your firearm, while keeping it securely locked away from your kid(s) and their friends.
Old May 22, 2007, 03:54 PM   #10
Bruxley

NOTHING that presents even a POSSIBILITY of a dead child by your firearm is an option.
If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.
Old May 22, 2007, 06:16 PM   #11
ohioleadslinger

Biometric

I believe I saw a Biometric handgun safe. Lay your finger on it and it opens after reading your prints. Up to 50 authorized people. Bolts down too I believe.

http://www.nationwidesafes.com/1205.htm

Godbless.....
Life Member NRA , OFCC Member
Old May 22, 2007, 06:56 PM   #12
doncameron

+1 on "keeping them locked except the one on your hip! "
Old May 22, 2007, 07:34 PM   #13
sparkysteve

I'd never take a chance on hiding and gun. Kids get everywhere. I have a one month old and am planning to get a electronic handgun safe to bolt to the floor under my bed before he's old enough to get into my dresser drawer. Like others suggested you could put one anywhere. A closet, cabinet, etc.

Dont tread on me.
Old May 22, 2007, 08:19 PM   #14
Magdaddy

stick it one of those fake clocks. Kids don't care what time it is, how many times have you ever seen a little one take aclock off the wall ?
Old May 22, 2007, 09:13 PM   #15
BillCA

+1 on the fake clocks as a possibility.

Sportsmansguide.com has run these on sales several times. Either a clock or a picture frame that conceals a handgun behind it. This can be mounted high enough that youngsters can't access it.

It does require secure mounting (screws, not hangers) and you might consider adding a small latch that is activated from the top. Place something in front of it that doesn't allow a child to climb up and/or stand on something to access it (e.g. a large vase w/dried flowers). This works best when the gun can be kept there and the kids aren't allowed to see it except when it's needed.

A friend of mine keeps his in a steel file cabinet in his study/office where the kids aren't allowed to go (unless he's there) and the cabinet is locked up when he's out of the office.

The simplest method I've seen cost less than $20. A friend bought about 12" of 5/16" vinyl-coated aircraft cable, a pair of ferrules, one 3/8" x 1/2" bolt, two 3/8" x 1.5" washers, a 3/8" lock-nut, and a padlock with a vinyl-coated shackle. Fold each end of the cable back to form a loop, a small loop for the bolt and a larger 1.5" loop for the padlock. Crimp the ferrules to the cable to secure the cable loops. In a selected location (he used a dresser drawer with a solid wood bottom) use the bolt to secure the cable to a fixed object with a washer under the bolt head and locknut. To operate, slide the larger loop through the trigger guard of the unloaded gun and secure with a padded padlock too large to be pulled through the trigger guard.

Certainly this can be ripped out of the drawer by a strong adult, but it prevents the kids from playing with it.
Old May 22, 2007, 10:03 PM   #16
Bruxley

Quote:
The simplest method I've seen cost less than $20. A friend bought about 12" of 5/16" vinyl-coated aircraft cable, a pair of ferrules, one 3/8" x 1/2" bolt, two 3/8" x 1.5" washers, a 3/8" lock-nut, and a padlock with a vinyl-coated shackle. Fold each end of the cable back to form a loop, a small loop for the bolt and a larger 1.5" loop for the padlock. Crimp the ferrules to the cable to secure the cable loops. In a selected location (he used a dresser drawer with a solid wood bottom) use the bolt to secure the cable to a fixed object with a washer under the bolt head and locknut. To operate, slide the larger loop through the trigger guard of the unloaded gun and secure with a padded padlock too large to be pulled through the trigger guard.

Certainly this can be ripped out of the drawer by a strong adult, but it prevents the kids from playing with it.
But the slide and trigger can still be used right. Trying to keep it from being FIRED not relocated should be the primary goal. I see this working better if you removed the mag, locked the slide back, then ran the cable up through the mag well and out through the breach.

Plus, an kid with a screwdriver or a crescent wrench won''t even need a key either way.
If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.
Old May 22, 2007, 11:05 PM   #17
Sturmgewehre

+1 to the small gun safe like this one:

Old May 23, 2007, 01:25 AM   #18
Axion

Growing up I always new where my dad kept each of his guns and the ammo. Luckily I was smart enough not to ever do anything dumb with them but the point is, like others have said, kids will find what you hide.
Old May 23, 2007, 06:50 AM   #19
SteelCore

Here's another vote for a lockbox or small safe that can be rapidly opened.
Old May 23, 2007, 09:18 AM   #20
revance

+1 on not trying to hide it.
+2 on getting a pistol safe.

If you hide it and make it a big mystery, your child will eventually get curious and bad things will happen. Even trying to hide a lockbox is a bad idea IMHO. Take the curiosity out of it as soon as they are old enough. Teach them gun safety, respect, and how to tell the difference between a real gun and a fake gun. Make sure they know what they show on TV isn't real.

In addition, get a combination pistol safe with a tamper indicator on it. Don't hide it, let them know where it is and what it is. Tell them never to touch it (part of the above education) and let them know that the tamper indicator WILL taddle if they do.

Kids are smarter than people give them credit for. If you put the fear of God in them and they know they can't cover their tracks, they're not going to touch it.

I remember hearing about a study where they put a gun (either a very realistic fake or cleared real one) placed randomly in a room with a bunch of very young children (maybe kindergarten?). They had two groups, one group was children who's parents had guns in the house and the others didn't. The gun owning group had a significantly lower number of children who actually touched the gun, they got an adult. The ones who didn't played with it. Again, I didn't actually SEE this study, I just heard about it. If anyone can cite it, I would be really appreciative. Assuming it actually happened, it shows that educating your children goes a LONG way.
Old May 23, 2007, 09:45 AM   #21
Groundhog

I was gonna say just be sure to label the book "Homework Ideas for Bored Children" and you'd probably have great success!

OK, just kidding...

+1 for the safes
+1 for kids knowing where they are and having gun safety lessons at the earliest possible age.

"Remember, a valid point never overrules a family tradition." - Me
Old May 23, 2007, 10:58 AM   #22
Bender711

You could try introducing them to biology or maybe some physics, then hide it in a large text book. If they are anything like my class they will never want to look in that book.

But the lock box idea might be a tad safer.
Old May 23, 2007, 11:43 AM   #23
gvf

Dangerous

Children like to explore hidden places, open places, any places. They're like kittens.

I would estimate if the chance of you or your family being attacked is so great you can justify the possibility of them finding and using an unlocked weapon. If the neigborhood is that bad, maybe consider a move if it is possible (I know sometimes it isn't). But it made me queasy just reading your well-intentioned idea. Maybe an alternative would be better.
Best
Old May 23, 2007, 01:43 PM   #24
skywalkrNCSU

when i was a little kid my dad told me if i ever played with his guns or anything of the sort he would beat me within an inch of my life. needless to say i never tested him on that one. i would go for one of those small safes if it was me.
Old May 23, 2007, 03:52 PM   #25
markj

When I was growing up Dad kept a shotgun by the door (we lived way out of town) we kids knew not to even look hard at it. I now have a young son in the house (I was planning on retirement and this happened ) so now I am teaching him the same things I taught my daughter 12 years ago. He will be fine as she was with guns in the house. I do keep them in a safe now tho due to her having boyfriends I dont know if I can trust to leave em out. Times are way different now than then.