The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old May 28, 2007, 09:20 PM   #51
Mortech

I wear a Bladetech IWB kydex holster with my M&P40 all year round with a short sleeve Dickie workshirt untuck and unbutton as a cover garment . Only a few days a year does it ever get really cold enough that I used a heavy coat over it all or hot enough that I can't wear this outfit then I just go with my S&W 3913 under an untucked tshirt .
S&W M&P40
Old May 28, 2007, 11:18 PM   #52
Slideman

I've been a fanny pack guy since I began making my own to get wallet and gear out of my pockets. I liked mine better than store-bought when they first came out. Now that I added a Glock 32 to my regular freight, I buy one with a pocket for it too.

I doubt many non-law-enforcement types think I'm packing a firearm and probably over half of them don't either ... I don't much care anyway. Some guys tell me I would be too slow on the draw ... one second VS two seconds might be significant, but I'm armed and the complainers usually have to call a "time out" so they can go home and get their gun out of their safe.

I have an IWB, but rarely use it. I'm reading all this stuff here and may be trying some of it this summer.
Old May 29, 2007, 07:49 AM   #53
John28226

Dress Around What you Carry

We have two seasons here - warm and hot! When I decided that living in the 8th most dangerous city in the country meant I had to be prepared - I changed my wardrobe somewhat.

Spent the money for some really quality belts - now have five (5) in assorted colors including one from Beltman with the taper at the front for Sunday dress; tried a bunch of holsters - settled on several which I use as suitable for what I carry - most are IWB which I like at about 4:30 position. Like my Milt Sparks Watch Six and my Crossbreed for my revolver - the Tucker Texas Heritage for my Glock.

Went on a diet and lost some weight - now all of my pants fit when I carry - a few are actually a little loose but I can live with that. Went to Steve & Berry's University Sportsware (a national chain) and to Goody's (smaller chain) and bought some print shirts with square bottoms - designed to be worn "untucked". Bought a few extra large sweatshirts for those cooler nights. Both stores are "discount type" with pretty cheap prices.

I check every clothing item carefully for suitability - length for the shirts and lightweight jackets. pants for beltloop size to accomodate the 1.5 inch belt. Even bought a vest - be careful here some are cut way too short to cover even IWB.

If you change your wardrobe and wear suitable "carry clothing" even when you go places where you can't carry - pretty soon people who know you will become accustomed to seeing you dress that way and think nothing of it. Everyone else thinks nothing of it anyway.

Hope this helps,

John
Charlotte, NC (AKA Mayberry)
Old May 29, 2007, 02:59 PM   #54
Stevie-Ray

KelTec P32 in an Uncle Mikes pocket holster. Always. Better than not carrying when tank-tops and shorts are the norm, and BUG when warmer dress allows the primaries.

Also, when vacationing, I have a leather fanny pack that has a built-in holster, perfect for my G26.
Old May 29, 2007, 03:01 PM   #55
dyoun06

Holster Shirt V-Neck

Holster Shirt V-Neck

http://www.511tactical.com/index.asp...3&number=40021

Works great and is comfortable.
Old May 29, 2007, 03:14 PM   #56
V-fib

Smartcarry if all I'm wearing is a pair of shorts or swimsuit. Otherwise Fist ultra thin Kydex k-8 IWB. My carry is a S&W 642.
Old May 29, 2007, 03:24 PM   #57
bisley7

Pocket Carry

Summertime brings out my Colt Mustang PocketLite and either in the front pocket of my Wrangler relaxed fit jeans, or in a IWB with a untucked shirt. Sometimes with a KelTec 32 with the carrying clip on the waistband or the cargo pocket of my shorts.
Old May 29, 2007, 04:11 PM   #58
W Turner

Alloy framed j frame when I am going the lightest I possibly can.

Usually I have my Fatboy Jumbo on me with a full size pistol of one flavor or another.

I got this bag for my birthday and never really feel self conscious about carrying it. My philosophy is pretty simple. I am 30 years old, been married for 10 years, got two kids under age 3. "Cool" or any semblance thereof went out the window a while back. Effective is my new priority.

I can usually conceal a gov't. model with an oversized t shirt. Works for me.

W
Old May 29, 2007, 04:14 PM   #59
Trisha

I waited a decade before taking the leap and buying my firse IWB kydex from Gunner's Alley:

http://www.gunnersalley.com/c=bwqyMH...oduct/GCODEIWB

I bought the Commander size, and am delighted and no little astonished with the fit and comfort. This one holster covers two of the primary CCW choices Kathryn and I make, depenent on situation and attire - but with anything that can take a good belt and a good untucked tee from Land's End or a polo and we're good to go without a concern.

The folks at Gunner's Alley seem to be on top of their customer service, wholeheartedly recommended!

Later this summer I'm planning on a G36 and a KL Null inverted shoulder rig to wear with dressier clothes!

Trisha

"The blessing lies not in living, merely, but in living well!"