The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old January 20, 2013, 01:14 PM   #1
Shain626

Gas tube removal tips?

I'm new here and in the process of replacing the front sight on my Bushmaster carbine with a railed gas block. I already made one mistake during the removal of the flash suppressor and I don't want to make anymore if I can help it. I have driven out the pin holding the gas tube to the sight block and the pins that secure the block to the barrel. However, I have been unsuccessful at removing the gas tube from the block. I'm sure that you guys have some tips that will help me out.
Thanks in advance.
Old January 20, 2013, 01:55 PM   #2
44 AMP
Staff

With M16A1s in the Army in the 1970s, we drove out the pin, and then lightly gripped the tube with a set of parallel jaw pliers, and tapped on the pliers with a small hammer until the tube crept back out, and free.

The tube is not paper thin, and you won't crush it, unless you are a real gorilla. But if you work at it, you can screw it up.

Also, good idea to make sure the tube isn't carbon frozen in place. Not likely, but could happen. A good penetrating solvent and some time to work can remove this concern.

Good Luck!
Old January 20, 2013, 02:01 PM   #3
Shain626

I guess I should have mentioned that this weapon has only eaten 150 rounds so far.
Old January 20, 2013, 08:11 PM   #4
Marquezj16

I am assuming that you have removed the gas block from the barrel and the gas tube came along with it. If that's the case, then spray a little penetrating lube where the gas tube goes into the gas block. Then get a good grip on the gas tube and slowly tap the block off. Should not take much force. I use a little brass hammer but you could probably use a screwdriver handle.
Old January 20, 2013, 08:21 PM   #5
Mobuck

Brownells sells a tool designed to remove the gas tube from the block w/o damage.
Old January 22, 2013, 09:36 AM   #6
Rottweiler

The tool Mobuck is speaking of is worth its weight in gold. I have removed gas tubes that have had many thousands of rounds through them that took some serious pulling and never damaged a gas tube while using it.
Old January 25, 2013, 08:29 PM   #7
Shain626

Thanks to all of you. I put some oil on it and let it soak for awhile. It pulled out with just a little tapping with my 8 oz mallet.
Old February 6, 2013, 10:34 PM   #8
AR15barrels

I use the Brownells tool in my shop as I tear down amd rebuild uppers every week.
However, one trick you can do to break the tube free is to clamp the whole tube in a bench vise with the upper upside down and then tap on the rear of the upper with a mallet or a short piece of 2x4 if you don't have a soft faced mallet.
A vise will hold the tube much better than a pair of pliers or vise grips.

Once the tube is moving, it will come out easily.