The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old January 12, 2009, 10:27 PM   #1
Chesster

USFA Rodeo grips

I am looking to replace the black grips on my Rodeos with some wood or staglike grips. What are the best for the money with the least amount of fitting required?
Vote 'Pro-Choice' on 2nd Amendment issues!!!
Old January 13, 2009, 01:50 PM   #2
Riot Earp

I have read that www.westernandwildlifewonders.com has grips that fit the USFA guns, with no (or minimal) fitting.
Old January 14, 2009, 11:31 AM   #3
CraigC

Unfortunately, there will be no off the shelf grips that will fit properly. Colt's and replicas are notorious for their variations and thus, most aftermarket grips are supplied oversized. I can highly recommend BarS for their TruIvory and fitting is free. All you have to send is your grip frame halves.

http://www.truivory.com
Old January 17, 2009, 07:23 PM   #4
Riot Earp

I ordered a set of Tru Ivory grips for my '75 Remington. The material was okay, but the grip contour was awful -- too thin at the top and too fat at the bottom. I couldn't hold the gun without my hand slipping up the grip. If you order from them, make sure you specify the thickness you want, at the top, middle, and bottom.
Old January 17, 2009, 08:38 PM   #5
Hawg

Sounds like they used the original dimensions.
Old January 17, 2009, 09:23 PM   #6
James K
Member In Memoriam

IMHO, the USFA grips are the only ones that actually are the same as the original first gen Colt grips. The new Colt grips are not the same.

Fitting grips is tough even with original guns and original grips. The reason is that both Colt and S&W (and I think USFA) fitted the grips to the unfinished frame, then polished them down together before sending the frame off to be final polished and blued. So no two grips are ever quite alike, even on successive serial number guns.

Jim
Old January 18, 2009, 12:00 AM   #7
CraigC

Quote:
Sounds like they used the original dimensions.
Sounds like it. They can be ordered just about any thickness. I order mine with only a slight taper towards the bottom, with flat bottoms.