The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old January 15, 2009, 07:55 PM   #26
Smokey 92

I'm with Pahoo. My skillet is seasoned, my rifle is also, as are the cylinders in my motorcycle. Guess I believe in Santa too.

Dang right I do, he brought me a new muzzleloader this past Dec25th.
Old January 17, 2009, 01:47 PM   #27
madcratebuilder

Quote:
Quote:
What happens when you clean the bore? Where does the seasoning go?
Same as the pan, it stays. However if it isn't well seasoned or if you brush too hard, you wash it off. Now, run out to the kitchen or your neighbor's kitchen and take a second look. Y'all have a great day !!!
pahoo, are you saying that a 'seasoned' barrel has a coating of material on the surface of the lands and grooves?
A 'seasoned' frying pan has a layer of burned on animal fats adhering to the surface of the cast iron that is easily removed by vigorous cleaning.
I prefer to keep my barrels well cleaned and protected with a thin layer of mineral oil(Ballistol). All that 'seasoning' in my barrel after a days shooting gets scrubbed out.
Obviously a new barrel well 'shoot in' as any microscopic burrs or high spots wear in. It well 'season' in respect to going through numerous heating and cooling cycles. But I'm having a hard time with the burned on coating of oil/animal fats.
Old January 17, 2009, 07:36 PM   #28
Pahoo

madcratebuilder,
What I am saying, is what I said in reply #6. I also stated that if not done properly, you can have a real fouling mess or what you call a layer of animal fat. There are two ways that a barrel can get seasoned; I use an initial seasoning process and the second is during your normal shooting periods. Your normal cleaning after shooting, will not totally remove a good seasoning but should remove the fouling you are alluding to. You mention a vigorous cleaning and not sure what that means to you. However, as stated, a normal day's cleaning will not remove a good seasoning. I too use Ballistol and other product to clean and protect my barrel but that addresses other concerns. Currently I season with Bore Butter but use to use bacon grease. I maintain the seasoning in my frying pans with beef and pig tallow or when I frye bacon or hamburgers. My wife washes this pan afterwards "vigorously" and it still keeps it's seasoning.

Be Safe !!!!
Old January 17, 2009, 07:58 PM   #29
jhenry

Why in the name of all that is sacred and good and fine under the canopy of heaven, would anybody even have a stainless barrel on a muzzleloading weapon.