The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old January 16, 2009, 05:19 PM   #1
msille

CVA Black Powder Double Barrel 12 ga.

I am looking at buying one. Anyone know how to find an old instruction manual for them? Online? It is an older model, looks like it shoots # 11 caps. has a duck on the side. The guy doesnt have any info on it, year or anything. I took the wedge out to check the barrels for rust. On the end of both barrels is flat head screws, not sure if these come out? Should I wood think to clean it. Any info will be appreciated. Will try and upload a photo if I can figure out how to do that....
Old January 16, 2009, 06:12 PM   #2
jaguarxk120

CVA has the owners manual online for you. It's listed under warrenty manuals, the model you are looking at is a trapper model. The manual is dated 1983, himmmm 26 yaers ago. One thing the manual states "black powder" I would follow what they recomend and not try to use any of the high energy replica powders, pyrodex,777, or anything else. Just plain ole black powder, worked well 100 years ago and works well now.
Old January 16, 2009, 07:47 PM   #3
mykeal

777 will work quite nicely in that gun. Mine was built in 1983 and won a relay in one of our club's first sporting clays matches last year:

Old January 16, 2009, 09:19 PM   #4
B.L.E.

Typically, a good starting point for ML shotguns is to use the same measure to measure both the powder and shot. (a square load) If you have a shot dipper that measures 1+1/8 or 1+1/4 ounces of shot, use that same dipper to measure your FFg powder. I think that results in about 80 grains of powder for a 1+1/8 ounce load. A lot of shotgunners can't even tell you their load in grains because they measure in "ounces" from a Lee plastic shot dipper.
This can be adjusted up and down for your particular gun. FFg is what is customary for shotguns but some use FFFg. I have a 12 gauge trap gun that smashes clay birds with 70 grains FFFg and 1+1/8 ounce of #8 shot and two nitro cards for the wad column, no cushion wad, but other guns like different loads.

I use mostly GOEX, sometimes Schutzen black powder and don't much care for the fake black powders but if you must use 777, I guess it'll work.
Old January 17, 2009, 07:56 AM   #5
mykeal

I should mention that, while 777 will work in your shotgun, the same 15% reduction rule applies to obtaining an equivalent black powder load. If you load powder based on matching your shot load by weight make sure you know the correct conversion from black powder to the type you are using.

Using real bp will take all that converting out of the picture, and it's more fun to shoot anyway. I use 777 in the shotgun when the bp magazine gets a bit low, but perfer to use bp if I can.
Old January 17, 2009, 08:45 AM   #6
msille

Along with those answers, anyone know the value of this gun. Not in mint condition, needs some cleaning. Probably blue the barrels, it needs it. Might refinish the stock a darker color and the metals could use some shining. I took the nipples out and you can still blow air through them, just cant figure out how to get those screws out of the end??

Trying to upload a photo, anyone help me on how to? I pick the photo and hit upload and it goes to an internet explorer blank....

Last edited by msille; January 17, 2009 at 09:33 AM.