The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old April 16, 2001, 05:58 PM   #1
Alex Johnson

I recently acquired an old HD Military model pistol. The gun is in excellent mechanical condition, but the blueing is very worn. I plan on giving it a facelift with a rust blue finish and new wood grips, but first I need to figure out how to take it down. A newer High Standard I have has a button in front of the trigger guard for dissassembly, but all this one has is a screw which I figure is for adjusting the trigger, though I could be wrong on that, any information would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old April 17, 2001, 07:48 AM   #2
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

Alex, on the older High Standards the barrels were held in by a pin. You should see it above and in front of the triggerguard if memory serves. I don't have anything in print on this but I believe the rest of the disassembly is pretty much the same as your newer model. George
Old April 17, 2001, 09:29 PM   #3
James K
Member In Memoriam

Does that pistol have a button on top of the slide back toward the rear sight?

If so, the barrel is pinned in and not intended to be removed for normal disassembly. You might want to do so for bluing, but removing the barrel is not the way to disassemble the gun for cleaning.

To disassemble, remove the magazine and make sure the chamber is unloaded. To remove the slide, pull it all the way to the rear and push on that button, holding it down while moving the slide forward. You can feel that the spring tension is off the slide. Push the slide all the way forward and push down on the button on the right of the frame opposite the safety. Hold it down all the way, and pull the slide to the rear and off.

Jim
Old April 18, 2001, 02:15 PM   #4
Alex Johnson

Hi Jim, the button on the top of the frame is there alright. I pushed it down like you said and it did take the tension off the slide. The problem I have now is that there is not button on the right side of the frame. All I have right now is a screw (that appears to be captured). The screw does look like it has seen a lot of use. The previous owner had really messed up the slot and scratched up the area around it which is one reason I want to refinish it, but for the life of me I can't seem to make the slide come off the frame. I wonder if the screw is even supposed to be there or if it is just a replacement for the button you talk about. If it is, I can't seem to make it depress. I admit, I'm lost on this one. I could just start taking parts off the gun, but I never have liked doing that when I don't know how the thing goes back together. Anyway, if you have any insights into this I would definitely appreciate them. Thanks for your help.

George, I see the pin and the barrel will most likely come off when I can get the slide removed. Thanks for the information.
Old April 18, 2001, 03:25 PM   #5
Alex Johnson

New development, got frusterated with the above mentioned screw and was turning it and it fell out. It definitely looks like somebody was playing games with this part of the gun, screw is about 3/8" long and the end has been ground to a rough square shape. Looks like the job is suddenly more than just a refinish, but also a repair of somebody's mistake as well. Any idea's where I could find a schematic of the Military HD, I don't think that the Gun Parts catelog has it.
Old April 19, 2001, 10:56 AM   #6
Alex Johnson

Well I found out exactly what's wrong with my High Standard. I found one like it at a local gun shop and mine is missing the take down lever on the right side of the frame. I looked in Numerich and found out that they had a duplicate so I guess I'll order that. Hope their not too difficult to fit. Thanks for all the information, it was appreciated.

Alex Johnson
NRA, Life Member
Old April 19, 2001, 10:57 PM   #7
BBBBill

IIRC, I've seen a few parts for these on Auction Arms, GunBroker, or Ebay lately. You might look there also.
Old April 21, 2001, 11:38 AM   #8
Alex Johnson

Well I managed to take everything off the pistol except the slide. Pins were removed, where possible, and all screws taken out. I looked at the problem area and came to the conclusion that the takedown lever wouldn't be able to be put in without taking the gun down completely. Which brings me to a somewhat drastic last resort. I can't remove the slide stop lug and hence the slide without removing the spring. I would appear my only option would be to drill out the pin holding the spring retaining part. I can't drive this pin through the bottom of the slide since it runs into the frame. But, it should allow me to remove the spring and than hopefully the slide lock lug will come out easier. Any comments on this course of action? Of course taking it down has been and will continue to be a pain in the butt, but it won't compare to the heartache of putting it all back together i'm sure.
Old April 22, 2001, 06:38 PM   #9
James K
Member In Memoriam

Before you get too drastic, it sounds like the square stud on the right side of the receiver is the remains where the takedown lever is broken off.

With the recoil spring captive (using the button on the slide so the slide can move freely with no spring tension), move the slide forward all the way. Then grasp that stud with pliers and try twisting it clockwise as far as it will go against its spring. It should go about 90 degrees. Then, while holding the stud in that position, pull the slide back off the frame. When (if) you get the slide off, let go the stud and you will see the recoil block come back up. That is what has to move down out of the way to let the slide come off.

Jim
Old April 22, 2001, 08:59 PM   #10
Alex Johnson

I probably described it badly, there is no stud. I think whoever had the pistol before me had lost the takedown lever and figured some way of getting it back together. I have studied this thing for hours now, and it has me stumped. On top of that I can't seem to find a diagram of the slide lock inside, all the gunparts show is a side view which helps very little. I know that if I can take the spring tension off of the lock I can remove the slide, but the only way I see of doing this is to get the spring out. Drastic, yes, but I don't have a project to work on and I figure this one will work out too, just wish it was a bit easier. Thanks for the response.