The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old December 20, 2007, 11:13 AM   #1
reap

Penetration?

This is NOT to start a caliber war but to search out opinions. This was a local incident early this week where an auxillary police officer fired his pistol twice in defense... read the article and towards the end is the description of where both bullets ended up. I have been unable to find what caliber was being used but it sure makes a point about having enough gun.

"Creve Coeur - Seated in his truck at the Northwoods Mall parking lot Monday night, Chad R. Hjortshoj thought he heard what sounded like a scream. After opening his door, the muffled noise became clearer - a woman's voice yelling for help."

Entire story at:

http://www.pjstar.com/stories/122007...8P6HAF.029.php

Last edited by Mike Irwin; December 4, 2012 at 06:40 PM.
Old December 20, 2007, 11:26 AM   #2
Tom2

I don't know, from the sound of it he was off duty, maybe he was carrying some kind of pocket pistol as an off duty piece? Maybe a Raven .25?
Old December 20, 2007, 12:32 PM   #3
tacticalmedic

What about it being UNLOADED I have never known an officer to have his off duty weapon unloaded when he was out in public.
Old December 20, 2007, 02:50 PM   #4
reap

unloaded...

Well, on that item, We live in Illinios and he is an auxillary police officer. I don't know if he is allowed to keep a loaded weapon with him only being auxillary.
Old December 20, 2007, 04:19 PM   #5
DMK

No telling what caliber he had. Bullets of all calibers do funny things when they hit glass. Even rifle bullets can have a hard time with glass deflecting them and redirecting their energy.

That said, I think penetration is the most important quality in a defensive handgun round (aside from accuracy). Expansion and bullet diameter are a very good things, but only if they do not compromise penetration. That's one reason I will not use HPs in any caliber under 9mm or .38 Special +P.
Old December 20, 2007, 04:20 PM   #6
DMK

Quote:
What about it being UNLOADED I have never known an officer to have his off duty weapon unloaded when he was out in public.
He had it locked in the glovebox while he was shopping. Maybe he took the ammo with him inside so as not to leave a loaded weapon unattended.
Old December 4, 2012, 04:56 PM   #7
pbgunrunner

I can tell you....

The gun was a kel tec 3at and i was shooting winchester silvertips. Definately ended up being the wrong choice as the soft lead bullets totaly came apart in the windshield and were more or less stopped by the side glass and a heavy leather coat. As far as having the gun unloaded, it was that way because illinios doesnt have cc and aux officers cant cary off duty. Im a sworn officer now and i carry a kahr k9 w federal hst bonded bullets. I realize this is an old post, but i just came across it, thought you might wanna know! - chad
Ps- thanks to good work by a peoria pd officer working off duty at the bus station, the bad guy was caught within the hour and is nowdoing 60 years.
Old December 4, 2012, 06:27 PM   #8
2damnold4this

I'm glad everything turned out ok. Thanks for the information you provided.
Old December 4, 2012, 06:42 PM   #9
Mike Irwin
Staff

I'll take this time to remind everyone that TFL has a Copyrighted Materials Policy, which we STRICTLY enforce.

If you want to discuss an article that has been published elsewhere, read the policy before you post the article.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old December 4, 2012, 06:45 PM   #10
Mike Irwin
Staff

Wait a second...

This is from 2007... The link doesn't work anymore because the article is gone.

Even so, I'm sorry, but the full account of the incident can't remain on our pages.

Glad everything worked out OK for you.

Old December 5, 2012, 03:49 PM   #11
Tactical Jackalope

That really confused the heck out of me.

So Chad actually commented up there?

Yeah, well...glad all is well.

Just in case anyone wants to know.

http://qconline.com/archives/qco/pri....php?id=367289
Old December 5, 2012, 04:13 PM   #12
nate45

Policeman standing in front of the vehicle blocking the escape route, holding up his badge and pistol, orders him to stop and surrender. Carjacker puts it in forward gear, yep he deserved to be shot for assaulting a police officer with a deadly weapon.
Old December 5, 2012, 09:02 PM   #13
chris in va

It's my understanding the group responsible for suing 'copyright' infringers is no longer able to do so. Got notified of this by a mod on another board.
Old December 5, 2012, 10:01 PM   #14
Mike Irwin
Staff

"It's my understanding the group responsible for suing 'copyright' infringers is no longer able to do so. Got notified of this by a mod on another board."

Correct. But we're not changing our policy. Copying in entire stories is not good practice, and it exposes TFL, and its parent organization, to unnecessary risk in the long term.