The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old June 25, 2011, 12:59 PM   #1
NicverAZ

Love my STI GP6 / K100

Just bought one yesterday, shot two boxes through it, never been so happy after buying a firearm.

Sad that there are not that many accessories and add-ons, except for what's at Dawson's, but this thing shoots fine out of the box.

Grouped in a 2" radius at 7' (except for the first round, completely out of whack). Pushed the target to 50' and still put most in the center mass of the silhouette, I'd say 80%, the others were still in the torso and arms.

Hey, I consider myself an average shot, but with box ammo (Mag Tech), this is much much better than I ever shot with anything I ever shot (and I've shot lots of guns, including Kimber 1911s, Glocks, 686s).

The only thing more accurate in my arsenal has to be my Buckmark with a red dot.

So where's the love for this pistol? I can't believe the word is not spreading any faster than that.

Last edited by NicverAZ; June 25, 2011 at 04:34 PM.
Old June 25, 2011, 02:41 PM   #2
Sgt Pepper

It's hard to love a pistol that I cannot see....
Old June 25, 2011, 03:29 PM   #3
JohnKSa
Staff

I've been meaning to get one for awhile. So far availability seems to be the only hiccup...
Old June 30, 2011, 09:55 PM   #4
NicverAZ

This is my second range report, with photos this time.

At 21 feet, still getting used to the sights:

At 50 feet, my second one was bullseye, after that I sort of lost concentration for a few squeezes, and then ended by emptying the other magazine in the same area.

Here is the beast:

Sorry, I only have a crappy little camera. I have ordered red fiber optic front sight from Dawson, for a first upgrade. I will let you know how this goes.

My second upgrade will be rear sight and hopefully a GP6C-style mag release.

Taking down is very easy, reassembling is a bit of a challenge until you figure out how to present the barrel. I will post a video on how to do that on Youtube, because the STI video sort of sucks.

Last edited by NicverAZ; June 30, 2011 at 10:07 PM.
Old July 1, 2011, 09:37 AM   #5
Sgt Pepper

Pretty cool. Thanks for the pics.
Old July 1, 2011, 10:14 AM   #6
Caz83

not sure if u read my other post but the extended mag release can be pressed and engaged by a hard surface or table just by laying it on either side since the mag release is ambi so just be aware.

Nice pics BTW.
Old July 1, 2011, 11:42 AM   #7
NicverAZ

Yes, Caz I read it, but I don't see it as an issue for me.

I intend to use this as a competition pistol and of course home defense but I am not a proponent of sleeping with guns / keeping a gun on a side table or drawer. Not kids friendly and sleep shooting does happen.

This pistol is either in its box or holstered.
Old July 1, 2011, 01:05 PM   #8
Caz83

For competition, its excellent. Extremely easy to access.

I envy u cause i've been wanting to try out any of them for some time now.

Don't mean to thread jack but does any one know if parts/ barrels can be bought and shipped from Grand Power?

One of the biggest reasons I haven't bought one yet is simply due to lack of accessories and different calibers.
Old July 1, 2011, 02:45 PM   #9
NicverAZ

Well, I have been looking for an upgraded mag release and so far the only place I can order it from is shootersconnectionstore.com, but after a few emails exchanged over the subject, it seems that STI ran out of the parts and that they need to be ordered from the manufacturer in Slovakia. It does not seem to be possible to order from the manufacturer directly, but I may give it a try on Monday, see what they say

This is a good and a bad thing. Bad that STI does not have enough of these parts. Good that many folks out there own a GP6, shoot it and are looking to upgrade it.

The tiny mag release on the standard model is a bit of an issue.

As far as other accessories (magazines, holsters, sights) Dawson and the site cited about carry them.

I have a holster, one 20-round magazine and one front sight coming my way, I should be able to test them tomorrow.

I'll post some photos.

Edit: Dawnson has the mag release:

http://www.dawsonprecision.com/Produ...D18-1279552357

I am going to place another order

Last edited by NicverAZ; July 2, 2011 at 01:07 AM.
Old August 6, 2011, 04:05 PM   #10
NicverAZ

A little update.

I just passed 20 boxes, that's 1000 rounds and besides the incident the first time I tried to shoot it straight out of the box (actually it was a demo model which was played with by 100 prospects and left to dry), I have had zero issues.

I have been very generous on the amount of oil, but to a point where it's ridiculous, and have decided to shoot it with the minimum amount of maintenance, by that I mean cleaning the barrel with the brush that comes with the gun, cleaning the port and breech with gun cleaner, and a drop of oil to the side of the slide, racked 3 times and put back in the box.

I rarely fill the magazines to the top, only 15 in the 17-round magazines and 17 in the 20-round magazine, maximum.

The other thing I wanted to mention is that, even with cheap ammo (Winchester White Box and Wally Federal), this thing is still very accurate.

I am going to start loading 9mm (I only loaded 38 and 357 so far) when I get the dies, and will start experimenting with different loads. I will post what works best, IMHO, for this pistol.

One very last thing: I absolutely hate the fiber optic front sight I bought from Dawson. Not that the product is of poor quality, it is just not as readable as the OEM sight.

I am going to downgrade and keep this pistol bone stock, as a good example that, yup, it's possible to buy a great competition ready pistol.

No, I have not competed with it yet, I am still building my habits with it: right hand, left hand, point and shoot, shoot from hoslter, controlled pairs... Lots of fun!

<- that's what I really look like after shooting.
Old August 6, 2011, 09:39 PM   #11
JohnKSa
Staff

Thanks for the update.

As far as the maintenance goes, I might be inclined to put a dab of grease on the barrel flat that bears against the slide stop to unlock the barrel from the slide.
Old August 7, 2011, 02:53 AM   #12
NicverAZ

John, what type of grease do you recommend?
Old August 7, 2011, 04:01 AM   #13
JohnKSa
Staff

Mostly what I use is a grease I make myself by mixing very fine molybdenum disulfide powder with BreakFree CLP. The moly makes a great dry lubricant for steel-to-steel contact and mixing it with a little oil makes it easier to apply and keeps it in place.

A light lithium grease would also work well--I use that on occasion. I've also had good luck with Wilson Ultimalube grease but I like it more for the applicator than any other reason. I don't think it really makes all that much difference what kind you use as long as you don't overdo it and as long as you don't use a really thick or heavy grease.