The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 20, 2009, 07:59 AM   #1
AR FUN

New to the art

I realize that my question is probably like opening "Pandora's Box", but here it goes. I wanted to get some good opinions on getting started reloading. I noticed the market was going crazy a few months back and stockpiled primers, brass, and powders. I have never owned my own reloading equipment but do have some exposure to it, through a friend of mine. I will need to reload .223, 7MM Rem Mag, 45-70, 270, .308 Win, .243 Win, .300 Weatherby Mag., 7MM-08, .444 Marlin, 40 S&W, and 45 ACP. I know that is a laundry list, but that is what I am looking at. I am wondering what equipment to buy. Is it better to piece mill the equipment or buy one of the kitted packages sold by many of the main players in the business? I would like a progressive press if it does indeed speed the process along. Once that I make the leap I will stick with it, so I want something decent that will last instead of a unit to see if I will enjoy it. I do have a little money put back for the investment but would like to invest it wisely. I have looked at RCBS, Lyman, Redding, Hornady, Lee, and Dillon, and just don't know enough about them to make a decision. Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks
Greg
Old May 20, 2009, 08:13 AM   #2
Dustin0

IF you have nothing for reloading right now. You might want to get a turret press kit. It will have scales and what not. I would say a turret or the progressive becuase the turret can do muti cal. alot easier than the progressive. I have great luck with a LEE 3 hole turret press for 45 acp I can load about 100 rounds in an hour.
Old May 20, 2009, 08:20 AM   #3
Sevens

When I look at your "laundry list" I see two handgun rounds and the rest are bottle neck rifle rounds. For the most part, you won't get the advantage of a progressive with rifle rounds (there are exceptions) so I would highly recommend you start off with a durable single stage or a turret press and get rolling on the basics of producing safe & quality ammo, and once you've confidently done that (could be two weeks, could be 4 months, could be longer) then spend the big dollars on a progressive setup that better addresses your .40 and .45.

Of course, if you don't literally shoot many hundreds of rounds per month, you can live happily the rest of your days without a progressive press. I'm twenty years in with more than a dozen calibers and still single stage.

As for the kits, depends on which way you go. The RCBS kit seems to have very good items included, so if RCBS is the way you are leaning, it may be the right choice. For my buck, Lee offers the most value but I'm not a huge fan of their kit and would rather piece it together by parts.

Getting supplies and stocking up was a very insightful move on your part... unfortunately, these things go in stages. First, guns were slim, then they caught up. Then, ammo was scarce, and it may or may not be catching up. Now, primer and powders are tough to find, and we aren't sure if we've hit bottom yet. What's next? Yep... reloading tools. Some die sets in wildly popular calibers are proving to be as hard to find as primers. .223, .380 dies? Good luck! So, you might have done a fine job preparing... or maybe not!

I think that if I were in your position, I'd look long and hard at the Lee Classic Turret as the press to get started. For a great place to comparison shop, read descriptions, get pictures and read user reviews, www.midwayusa.com is hard to beat. Their prices are competitive, not always the lowest, but there's a dozen reasons why I recommend them and I will continue to do so. I say you use Midway to help you piece together some equipment.

Come back to this thread with more specific questions on this subject!
Old May 20, 2009, 01:41 PM   #4
Shoney

AR FUN

You really havent given any information about your shooting habits as far a numbers go. What press would do better for your "needs" will depend on the numbers of rounds you shoot per week/month/year. The one absolute fact about reloading is "once you start reloading, your round count will go up".

Please let the collective forum know how many rounds you currently shoot per ???.

You list 11 different cartridges you shoot. Of these 4-5 will use the same shell holder, depending on the brand and configuration of your press. The initial inverstment in only dies and shell plates for progressive presses will be quite a costly investment.

Although there is no reason a beginner cannot start with a progressive, there are many reasons to start the learning curve on a singlestage or turret press.

IMHO the Lee Classic Turret 4 hole is the better bang for the buck at
https://kempfgunshop.com//index.php?...hk=1&Itemid=41

Good Shooting!
I pledge allegiance to the Flag - - -, and to the Republic for which it stands….Our Forefathers were brilliant for giving us a Republic, not a democracy! Do you know the difference??? and WHY?http://www.wallbuilders.com/LIBissue...les.asp?id=111
Old May 20, 2009, 02:29 PM   #5
AR FUN

I definitely did not offer you guys enough information. I really appreciate the input. I can give you an estimate on the number of rounds fired annually. I have a 200 yard range on my place and we normally have a shoot, once a month. During a years time I will normally go through approx. 2500 .223s, 250 45-70, a couple hundred on the 7MMs, 270, 243, 300s. Approx 500 on the handgun rounds each. I also failed to mention before that I will also be reloading .38 Special, 9MM, .357Mag, and 44 Mag and 30-06 and 30/30. I did some research on the turret presses and like the way that they operate, with the ability to change out turrets with out swapping dies each time. I am not a super heavy shooter and the above numbers are estimates. I do have to up and comers, a 14 and 15 year old that can hammer a pretty good dent in inventories. I guess to cut this short the heaviest consumption is the .223. I have several AR-15s and keep them pretty busy. I really appreciate the help. One more question and send this novel. After the press, what other equipment does a fellow need, such as what type of dies, and other equipment necessary to the job right and safley. I have been researching and studying on this subject and trying to learn as much as I can.

Thanks Again

Greg
Old May 20, 2009, 07:03 PM   #6
Shoney

AR FUN

At the top of the reloading page you will find
For the New Reloader: Equipment Basics -- READ THIS FIRST
It will point you in the right direction.
I pledge allegiance to the Flag - - -, and to the Republic for which it stands….Our Forefathers were brilliant for giving us a Republic, not a democracy! Do you know the difference??? and WHY?http://www.wallbuilders.com/LIBissue...les.asp?id=111