The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old December 4, 2006, 11:18 PM   #26
Doug.38PR

Quote:
Going outside is a good way to get killed. In addition, you are walking into unknown situation. Let me give you an example I have heard before:

You hear screaming, possibly gunshots from outside. You walk out, and see a dead kid, his wounded mother, and another kid lying on the ground screaming. The from behind a wall steps a man with a rifle.

Do you shoot him?
Right I understand your point. I agree. That's why I say be careful. Look before you leap. But I don't think that necessarily means that going outside is a bad move. For one thing, most people know their neighborhoods, they know what is outside and around their houses, they know where all the hiding spots are and dark spots and they know their neighbors. Look out the door before you rush out. Check corners as you go out the door making sure you are ready for anyone ready to grab or stab you and get into your house. Recognize your neighbors if they are the ones outside. If you see someone wielding a gun, get back in or at least to cover and assess what is going on. Be aware that the police might already be on their way.
Old December 5, 2006, 08:37 AM   #27
OuTcAsT

Quote:
Be aware that the police might already be on their way.
AND you might consider what will happen if they are already there...They don't always come screaming up with strobes ablazin' and park in front of the house. You do the math, crime committed + Doug lurking around corners with a weapon= Bad ju ju.

Does not morality imply the last clear chance? - WildAlaska -
Old December 5, 2006, 02:36 PM   #28
skeeter1

This might be another consideration:

My car came with a "dongle" for locking/unlocking the doors. It also has a "panic button" for setting off the horn and lights. If I were a BG, I'd get out of there in a hurry. A real alarm system is probably better, but the panic button is better than nothing. Oh, and I keep a loaded firearm in the bedroom, but it would take a lot for me take it outside.
Old December 5, 2006, 08:19 PM   #29
King_chin0

Skeeter is definately right on this. About a year ago, my car was broken into, my alarm went off, I looked out the window and saw the two BG get into an older car and sped off. I called the police and inform them of the situation. Went outside with the shotgun in hand just in case they double back to examine my veichle, and saw that my window was broken but the tint held all the pieces together. I went back in the house after a few minutes and waited for the police while I was watching my car through the windows on my front door, and didn't leave the house until the police arrived. It took them around 20 minutes to get there, but over all the police was very helpful. Never arrested anyone though.
Old December 6, 2006, 12:55 AM   #30
Daves-got-guns

something i forgot to mention, i had a friend a few years back, who was dating my couson. They went out to the everet mall one day in her dads 92 chevy quarter ton, rite before christmas. They had presents and Kevin went outside to have a smoke or a chew, i ferget. So he saw somebody was messing with the truck and confronted them and they said it was there truck and locked the keys in it. He said hell no buddy or something vulgar, and that it was his g/fs truck. So the guy he was talking to nailed him across the face with a tire iron or something hefty, and socked him in the mouth witch leveled him and took off running. Whats really sad about these guys is that you could have broken into that truck in less then 3 seconds by sliding the back window open with your hands. Also now couson won't goto everett without me tagging along, and im also a whole hell of alot bigger then ex b-f.
Old December 6, 2006, 02:00 AM   #31
King_chin0

I don't know if size matters when you get hit in the face with a tire iron, I know I'm a pretty big guy, not tall at 5'8-5'9 250lbs, but if someone hits me in the face with a tire iron, I don't think I could've done too much, its different getting hit with a solid object then a fist. I was jumped by six guys, they gave it to me pretty good, but they could never knoch me out, kicked me in the face, punched me, and never once I lost conciousness.
Old December 6, 2006, 09:50 AM   #32
AR15FAN

I believe you should stay in your house with your weapon and call the Police. That is the best way to protect yourself and family from an unknown enemy or enemies that may be armed, hidden, and have a tactical advantage on you. Remember, "fools rush in where wise men fear to tread". My experience from boards is that alot will post with bravado, but react to a real situation in a far different manner.
Old December 6, 2006, 07:04 PM   #33
Daves-got-guns

yeah it busted his face up pretty good. I'd rather take a blow to the face then my couson, they cant have their way with me very well, well maybe if they just got out of prison who knows.
Old December 6, 2006, 07:43 PM   #34
claude783

This is one of those situations where your not going to win. If you confront the "gremlin" and get hurt, "oh, well", however, if you confront said gremlin and "he" gets hurt, suddenly the "gremlin" will have rights, and you will be made to pay.

I guess that's why I don't buy new cars, let them add another dent or two to the old "clunker". As for my driveway, I have a CCTV with VCR hooked up. So at least, I can take their photo, do a little editing with the computer, and pass out fliers in the neighborhood.

Nothing like having 5,000 people out there with broken windows, stolen property looking for said gremlin...To bad they don't make a superglue gun in which you could "freeze" up the gremlin as he is half way in the window. Just have the police come, take the door with gremlin off the car and haul to the police station...kinda like those rat traps which "glue" the little critter's down!
Old December 6, 2006, 10:13 PM   #35
King_chin0

I think I have said this numerous times. Yes, every dollar you own has blood, sweat and tears in them. Your property is hard earned, and we would hate to see some punk try to take it away from us. Property is replaceable, but a life is not. We can careless if the BG gets hurt in the process (It depends how he got hurt, the judicial system can come back and bit you in the a$$), but lets not be a victim or let our family be a victim, and think clearly and rationally, the police are there for a reason. Although many occasions, by the time the police get there, your car or the property the BG is trying to rob us of is long gone. My friends car was broken into about three weeks ago, radio was stolen out of it, thats all. Guy slim jimmed it. The bad part is, the radio doesn't even work. My friend only said one thing, "I'm sick of these MFs out here trying to steal [color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color] from me. I earned every dollar in my pocket, all I do is work and come home." I really feel that it is sad to know there are people out there that doesn't care about anyone else and have no remorse in taking what belongs to someone else. If they have no remorse in taking what belongs to you, they will have no remorse of hurting you either, so that is one thing to keep in mind.

Tactics and Training is an art of thinking rationally, and planning out every step and seeing every possibility and outcome, and to pick the path where it is most beneficial to us, and our safety.