The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old August 10, 1999, 11:56 AM   #1
deanf

Recommendations for a good/ecomomy turkey gun?

What about a load?

Is turkey hunting as hard as they make it out to be on the TV?

------------------
“The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals. ... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of.” -Alexander Addison, 1789
Old August 11, 1999, 08:47 AM   #2
fal308
Staff Alumnus

For an economical shotgun, go for a 3" pump from Mossberg, Winchester or Remington. Get a full or extra full choke barrel if you already own one of these shotguns.
As for loadings, many people around here use #4 turkey loads or Remington's Duplex loads.
I believe turkey hunting is as hard as it looks. Turkey have terrific sensory perception and can be very cagey. Though a good caller bringing them in makes it much easier.
Old August 15, 1999, 08:48 PM   #3
sLap

I turky hunt very cheap you can pick up a old bolt action Shotgun mine cost $50 there easy to clean up. Bad side is only 2 3/4 are on the cheap side. I also picked up camo burlap and a realtree longsleve tee from wallymart cut strips of the camo burlap and sew them to the tee and used left over burlap to cover the gun. With camo mesh gloves and head net and camo pants it all works well together. Turkys so far have been the hardest game I ever hunted but the most fun. Only wish they would let us use .22 rim for them here in NY. One outher hint practise your call my frist year all I could call in were about 800 crows and realy pissed off a whitetail. Anyone ever stand hunt turky ? Thinking of trying it this year close to a roosting spot.
Old August 22, 1999, 10:02 PM   #4
DOCSpanky

I use the MOSSBERG 500 with a 24" bbl and the XX-Full Turkey tube. $209.00 at the local gunshop. I really like WINCHESTER Supreme 3" with 1 3/4 oz. of #6. Turkeys are incredibal woodsmen, and I swear there is a new turkey call I am trying to master, its the sound one of those little bas___ds make everytime they get away!

------------------
DOCSpanky
Old August 26, 1999, 12:17 AM   #5
Big Bunny

I studied US turkey shooting tactics when designing my 28"bl M120 Winchester for long-range gunning. I opted for a red-dot scope(UK), turkey (compensated) choke and alloy mounts(Aimtech)with 3" homeload #5 of 13/4 oz. All the gear was available from Basspro and it was a winner and 45m shots on high crows was dramatic. Trouble is... the outfit is now scrap, as 1 year after I finished it and was really doing well too, really enjoying my creation....our Govn't banned all pump-action shotguns. Sad but true.

------------------
***Big Bunny***