The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old April 29, 2016, 12:41 PM   #1
Hawkeye_FH

Pawn Shop Sporterized Mauser

So I found a sporterized Mauser that I am considering picking up just for the action. I'm pretty sure it is a large ring, though I just glanced at if for a few seconds while on lunch. I was trying to do some research just to get a better feel of what it originally began life as.

In its current configuration it appears to have the front and rear sights removed, no handguard, original stepped barrel. The forend of the stock is cut down and reshaped but appears to be a military stock with a flat silver disc inlaid similar to a Persian 98/29. In front of that there looks to be about a 1/2" diameter plug in the stock. Something like a repair I guess, the wood in the plug looks different than the stock.

The action has ben drilled and tapped, and has rings and scope mounted. This could be covering any markers on the front ring, but I didn't notice any crest or anything poking out from under it. The left side of the receiver only had a 4 digit serial number followed by an "L3" where the "3" seemed to be subscript. The "L3" was stamped and not engraved but looked different than the serial number. The serial number and "L3" were also on the other parts in the same configuration. There were also a few small light proof marks on the barrel and action that I couldn't really make out.

I plan on stopping back in sometime this weekend to get a better look at it. If any of you all can point me in the right direction as to what it might be, or what to look for when I go back, it would be greatly appreciated.

Oh, and the pawn shop had zero information on the gun, not even what the gun is chambered in. The guy tried to tell me that it was probably chambered in "7.62x54" (his words). Lol!
Old April 29, 2016, 12:59 PM   #2
Blindstitch

Any pictures?

Maybe 1916 spanish mauser.
Old April 29, 2016, 02:30 PM   #3
Hawkeye_FH

Sorry, I didn't Have any time to get pictures. I will when I go back.

I don't think its a Spanish 1916. I've been looking around and a VZ24 seams pretty close with the side sling swivel being removed and replaced with a wooden plug.

Sorry, I don't have more info to go on.
Old April 29, 2016, 03:03 PM   #4
emcon5

Pretty hard to say from what you describe.

You can tell a lot from features on the bolt and action even without markings, but what you are asking is pretty much the equivalent of "I saw a Chevy for sale, can you tell me about it"

There are a couple of things to look for though, the shape of the bolt sleeve and particularly the cocking piece, the third lug on the bolt for a M98.

There is a pretty good photo reference here for the various action and bolt types:

http://www.hoosiergunworks.com/catal...reference.html

Scroll down to the bottom and look at the shape of the cocking piece and striker between the M91 Argentine, M93 Spanish, M96 Swede, and M98 (the M-1909 and 33/40 photos are M98 pattern bolts).

Another thing to look for is a vent hole in the side of the action, those are usually Spanish small ring 1893 actions.
Old April 29, 2016, 03:06 PM   #5
Hawkeye_FH

I think it might be a VZ24 from German occupation or something. Here are some pictures that are not mine but are representative of what I saw.

Wooden plug, but had a flat disc like a VZ24 not like a k98.

Serial number looked like this but no stamp where "VZ24" is and I couldn't make anything out on top where the CZ Brno stamp is because of the scope ring.
Old April 29, 2016, 03:11 PM   #6
Hawkeye_FH

Thanks emcon5! I'll check it out.

I know it's asking a lot. I know a little about Mausers, but I know there are some of you all that know a lot about them. I thought what I was seeing was odd and thought someone might have run across something similar before.
Old April 29, 2016, 03:59 PM   #7
Roughedge

My main hunting rifle is a 8mm Mauser that I customized. I got it in the late 60's so its one of the better ones and the barrel was good so I didn't change it out. It took some lathe time but I tapered the steps out and you cant tell it from a standard barrel. I've built 4 guns on Mauser actions and its a strong action for about any build.
Old April 29, 2016, 04:14 PM   #8
emcon5

The problem is with sporters, there is no telling what was done and by who. It could be a VZ24, if so that is a good thing, it is a M98 action and plenty strong.

The Czechs sold them all over the world, so there are a lot of them out there, a million or more, according to Ball's book.
Old April 29, 2016, 04:54 PM   #9
Hawkeye_FH

Thanks guys! That's a good point about anything could have been done to it. It does not appear to be a high quality mod, but if I can get it for a little less than what they are asking I think it would be worth it to hang onto just for the action. I think it had $150 on it.
Old April 29, 2016, 07:45 PM   #10
Mobuck

I'd make a hefty bet against it being a 7.62x54(R)
Old April 29, 2016, 08:00 PM   #11
James K
Member In Memoriam

It could well be a Czech VZ24; many of those made for Persia (Iran) were sold on the surplus market years ago; they are fine rifles and some of the best Model 98 actions ever made.

The plug in the stock fills the hole where the Persian contract VZ24 sling swivel was removed.

Jim
Old April 29, 2016, 11:05 PM   #12
oldscot3

There are no sling swivels on the sides of my Persian 29s' buttstocks. The rear swivel is located on the bottom. It could be a 29 but it could be any number of other mausers as well. More info is needed.
Old April 30, 2016, 12:11 PM   #13
James K
Member In Memoriam

The Model 98/29 rifle does not have side swivels because it was intended only as an infantry rifle. But the VZ 24 has both side and bottom swivels since it was intended as a combination short rifle for use by both infantry and cavalry. The latter carried the rifle slung across the back using the side sling swivels.

That plug in the pistol grip fills the hole left when the swivel in that location was removed.

Jim
Old May 1, 2016, 08:20 PM   #14
emcon5

So I am curious, did you go back and look?
Old May 2, 2016, 11:05 AM   #15
Hawkeye_FH

Sorry, I have been having a heck of a time with my allergies and sinuses this weekend. I did make it back, and yes it is a VZ24 in some form or fashion. I have heard that some of them were scrubbed of their manufacturing marks when being exported. That explains why I cannot see a crest on top of the action or on the left side, but I could just make out the "E" and Lion above the serial number followed by a number that follows the lion that looks like 33. They are very faded though, probably due to the scrubbing process.

The metal and finish look well enough to take a chance on this at the right price, but what worries me is the D&T work for the scope. They look strait, but its hard to tell with the rings on there, and I really am not sure of the quality of work either. The modifications do not appear to be professionally done, and that worries me.

My interest in this rifle would be to hold onto it for a while, probably cast the chamber and shoot as is, and eventually give it the treatment it deserves and make use the action as a donor for an heirloom quality piece. So, I guess My question is, if the D&T is not up to par, is it possible to correct it and how difficult would it be?
Old May 2, 2016, 11:18 AM   #16
Hawg

You can screw the screws into the holes with red Loctite, cut them off flush and polish the receiver and they will be all but invisible. I haven't had a Mauser action D&T in probably 20 years but back then it was 10 bucks a hole. It's probably 15-20 now. Take the rings off and you can look at the screw heads and tell if they're straight.
Old May 2, 2016, 12:41 PM   #17
James K
Member In Memoriam

I would not be too concerned about the scope base holes if the bases themselves look to be straight (I assume you aren't allowed to remove the bases) and filling them would not be necessary unless you wanted to restore the rifle to factory condition, which is not practical.

Unless the rifle has been rechambered, it is in standard 8mm Mauser, or 8x57JS.

Jim
Old May 13, 2016, 06:14 PM   #18
Prothe2nd

I recently bought a sporterized mauser. Ironically the pawn shop also had zero info on it and also said he assumed it was 7.62-54. Anyway I bought it, and did a lot of research on Mausers. I'm glad I spent the money.