The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Closed Thread

Old January 4, 2014, 07:08 PM   #1
4runnerman

100 people

Mods- Close this if needed, It's not a zombie thread so to say.
Was watching Myth Busters again- Zombie attack.

Story is, You with muliple pistols and rifles being attack by 100 people walking at zombie pace. Guy was armed with multiple pistols and over 200 rounds. He still was not able to get away due to the fact of so many coming from all directions.
Question is ( being Myth Buster guy cold not shoot if his life depended on it )
Would it be possable to survive?. Could one shoot fast enough to get away?.
None of the attackers are armed in any way. Just wondering in real life if one could shoot that fast and reload. Silly-Yes,but??. Now we are not talking zombies here,but a real SHTF case.

Mods,Close if this is still a zommbie thread , as I have never posted such a silly thread before, curiosity is killing me.
Old January 4, 2014, 07:49 PM   #2
Jo6pak

handguns only?

Zombie thread? Maybe.
But if the mods will indulge us to discuss it from a different angle, I think we can get some interesting discussion going.

So the basic question is. Could a shooter, under stress, consistently hit small targets with enough regularity to prevent being overrun.

360 degrees to defend. Let's say 8" targets that are bobbing and moving closer. With a pistol? Under stress?

Sounds simple on paper, but I don't think I could do it. I've done some drills with balloons on sticks at ranges from 10-50 yards under a time constraint...it didn't go as well as I thought. And 100 targets means at the very least 10 mag changes for me (if I shoot perfectly.)

Given a long gun, the odds improve exponentially
Old January 4, 2014, 08:02 PM   #3
NoSecondBest

I shot competition for ten years that required shooting multiple steel plates at 20 and 25 yards. I was fortunate to see the very best handgun shooters on this planet shooting these events. The answer to your question is NO, it can't be done. The best of the best shot the event where there was 24 plates and I've never seen anyone finish it in under 25-30 seconds. I'm talking about the best of the best....anywhere. It looks good on TV and in the movies but in reality it's not going to happen. Mythbusters isn't going to do it and not one is. It is fun to shoot plates for speed though!
Old January 4, 2014, 08:21 PM   #4
TheDoubleDeuce

You make the case just this isn't a zombie thread, but a real SHTF thread. I'm pretty sure SHTF threads are also against the rules. Just my .02 - but as for the question, it depends. Are you Bob Munden or Helen Keller? It's obviously possible, but if it is possible for YOU depends on your own skill. He didn't have much time and there were a lot of people on the show. I'd say realistically most of us would perish a horrific death.
Old January 4, 2014, 08:32 PM   #5
Nickel Plated

Well a few questions must be answered first, sorry I didn't see the episode so don't know the particulars.

Are headshots necessary? Since this isn't supposed to be a zombie thread, I will assume no.

Is there room to maneuver or are you pretty much cornered?

How far away are the assailants if you can't run away?

I'd say if you're cornered, and they start only a couple hundred feet away you're screwed unless they are tightly packed.

If you got room to move it's like shooting fish in a barrel. Move in within 20-ish feet, empty the mag into the crowd, back-away to reload. Rinse, repeat.
Old January 4, 2014, 08:49 PM   #6
4runnerman

Being this is no zombie thread, No-head shots are not needed. Just wound and move. My point is- Could one shoot and move in straight line forward and just take targets in front of you. Targets started at 25 feet away,but in real case one would shoot asap.

To keep this on track, could it be done?. Say you had 2- 9MM,double stack mags. That would be-what 36 shots?.
Old January 4, 2014, 09:00 PM   #7
NoSecondBest

Bob Mundion was a great shooter. However, he wan't a world class plate shooter doing multiple and fast reloads with a semi automatic. He was a fast draw trick shot. There are top shooters out there that specialize in shooting plates for speed and can reload faster than you could believe. Unless you've been there and actually saw these people shoot you don't really have any understanding of what's possible.
Old January 4, 2014, 09:44 PM   #8
44 AMP
Staff

Them problem is a combination of shooting skill, reloading speed, target speed, and in the end, raw numbers.

If you are menaced by 100 of the old style undead who shuffle, stagger and generally move at a speed a slow two year old could outrun, then, maybe.

If you are talking about anything that moves with close to normal human speed, then you will die.

You could say a pack of wolves in place of zombies, end result, if you stand your ground and shoot them down, they WILL overwhelm you.

Gunning and RUNNING, quite possibly a different story.

Basic combat doctrine, mobility will overcome any static defense, eventually.

I generally enjoy Mythbusters, I like the attempts they come up with to prove or disprove things. However I do often disagree with their conclusions. I have seen them claim to have busted myths (based on the tests) that they didn not bust, because their test, while fun, was NOT an accurate recreation of the situation the myth covers. Claiming a "myth" is busted because you can't do it is a pretty weak claim in my book.

One classic they "busted" was "sniper shooting other sniper through his scope". They made several tries, couldn't do it (at 100yds) and claimed it busted. Carlos Hathcock did it in Vietnam, and brought back the rifle to prove it. Sure, it was a fluke (in the sense that Hathcock wasn't deliberately trying to shoot through the other guys scope) but it is proof that impossibly rare isn't the same as impossible.
Old January 4, 2014, 10:38 PM   #9
4runnerman

44amp- I saw that one too. I laughed at it all the way through. One does have to take the show with a grain of salt for sure. What really got me going on this one was ( I believe the show-Platoon ) At one point ( don't know the actor ) told Micheal Fox- Sometimes you just have to get real mad. Then he goes off running through enemy territory. He was able to take a lot of them out as he was running and they never were able to shoot him down. People can do amazing things when the adrealine rush hits.
Old January 5, 2014, 10:49 AM   #10
g.willikers

Didn't Audie Murphy do something like that?
After being wounded in the hip, he hopped up on a disabled enemy tank and used the gun to stop an advancing troop of enemy soldiers from running over his squad.
Old January 5, 2014, 11:25 AM   #11
Nickel Plated

Quote:
Didn't Audie Murphy do something like that?
After being wounded in the hip, he hopped up on a disabled enemy tank and used the gun to stop an advancing troop of enemy soldiers from running over his squad.
Not to downplay the man's performance but mowing down 100 attackers is made much easier when you have a .50BMG machinegun at your disposal as opposed to a pistol.
Old January 5, 2014, 11:27 AM   #12
MarkCO

Quote:
being attack by 100 people walking at zombie pace. Guy was armed with multiple pistols and over 200 rounds. He still was not able to get away due to the fact of so many coming from all directions.
Plate rack at 10 yards...about 3 seconds with a draw, so really 1.5 seconds for 6 plates is about 1/4 second splits. 6 Metric targets, 1 shot per at 5 yards, I run at 1.2 seconds with mostly As. Those are pretty standard for any A class or better USPSA shooter or an M class IDPA shooter. Reloads are about 1.2 seconds. I am 23 rounds on my M&P mags, so I need at least 4 reloads.

To shoot 115 rounds (giving 15 misses which is way over my normal) at man sized targets with 4 reloads, I would need a total of about 30 seconds. Sure it can be done in theory. You give me my match AR, I'll be cutting about 12 seconds off that time.
Old January 5, 2014, 11:40 AM   #13
Glenn E. Meyer

I think they redid the sniper scope shoot out and found it 'could' happen. They responded to the feedback and thus the replication.
Old January 5, 2014, 11:52 AM   #14
buck460XVR

I believe there are about 10 video games out there with the exact scenario as posted in the OP. My son can do it, I can't. The secret is, because of the slow deliberate pace of the zombies, one needs to continuously move themselves and shoot. Standing in one place, even behind cover, will soon mean you'll be over-run.
Old January 5, 2014, 12:01 PM   #15
Jo6pak

I don't think there can be a lot of comparison between the given scenario and things like USPSA or IDPA shooting.

1. the targets in competition shooting are static, and the shooter has time to see and even practice the layout of the course before hand.

2. The targets are not moving towards you, there is no need to instantly decide which is the next most imminent threat. If fact, most of the sequencing is determined beforehand.

3. The targets are not in a 360 radius.

I am not at all downplaying the skill that it takes to shoot competitively. And IDPA shooters will have a huge step up when in comes to reloads, muscle memory and shooting under stress.
But then again, throwing footballs through tires is a lot different than playing quarterback in a game.
Old January 5, 2014, 07:17 PM   #16
357 Python

You could survive if you learn one thing. Shoot and move, shoot and move don't stand still for them to walk right up on you.
Old January 6, 2014, 12:41 AM   #17
Buzzcook

At what distance does the shooter start shooting?
What is the time the targets take to move that distance?
How many targets can the shooter hit in the time?

It's not higher math.
Old January 6, 2014, 01:05 AM   #18
BuckRub

You don't need to shoot them all. Just have you life right with The Lord and shoot as many as you can. If you do get killed just have a smile on your face and alot of empty brass laying around you.
Old January 6, 2014, 09:45 AM   #19
Skans

You're going to have to reload sometime, even if you are using belted machine guns. Odds aren't good enough for me to bet on.
Old January 6, 2014, 11:40 AM   #20
Glenn E. Meyer

You can kiss your sister, deploy a grappling hook and swing to safety (Mythbusters just did that in their Star Wars special).

I think this thread has run its course. You will die.

Closed