The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Lock and Load: Live Fire Exercises

Old October 5, 2013, 03:13 PM   #51
Webleymkv

Pumpkins are fun to shoot (not to mention you now have a use for that rotting Jack O' Lantern after Halloween).

Where I work, we used to get several cases of tool catalogs every year. Since one was more than enough, I'd take the spares to use as targets. You'd really be surprised what will and won't go through a case of catalogs (they will stop a .44 Magnum, but not a .41 Magnum).

I've also done a fair amount of shooting at used oil filters in the junk pile on my Grandfather's farm.

Finally, a couple of my great uncles used to put rat poison in their corn crib certain times of the year. They would then open the doors and, when the rats came staggering out use them for target practice with their .22's.
Old October 6, 2013, 07:28 AM   #52
jclayto

It was a total pain to clean up but as an IT guy destroying this old Dell was therapeutic. I felt like Michael Bolton using a baseball bat on the old printer in Office Space ~ 340 rounds of 9mm from an Uzi smg.

Old November 18, 2013, 09:54 PM   #53
boondocker385

Tile left covers...I bug a couple of guys in the trades for them....car windshields too if they only have a small crack.
Old November 20, 2013, 01:50 PM   #54
Tucker 1371

An old Jeep Grand Cherokee the Floyd County Sherrifs Dept left out at the range. Had fun shooting the mirrors off with my then-new M1A.
OEF 2011 Sangin, Afg. Molon Labe
Old November 22, 2013, 09:53 PM   #55
JohnMoses

Well, yeah, CARS! I rented time on a MG42 at Knob Creek once. It was on the infantry tripod, so the pattern was pretty tight. The owner said that most people were targeting the wheel on the car that was set on a large wire spool.
I replied 'you Kentucky boys don't know s**t about shooting cars. That car still has it's windshield and rearview mirror intact'. 100 rounds (10 seconds) later, I fixed that.
And 2lbs of tannerite, set on the backrest of an 87 Toyota pickup, will blow the windows out and unpeel the welded seams.
Old December 7, 2013, 12:33 PM   #56
STEINER

I can tell you what not to use as a target.
Just a kid and had a 22 rifle. Went to the dumps to shoot up anything and everything.
Shot an old wore out tire and almost took the bullet flying back at me.
It wizzed by my head. I was only ten feet from the tire.
Dumb, but learned real quick to shoot at stuff that will allow the bullet to
penetrate.
Old December 7, 2013, 12:49 PM   #57
Garycw

Unusual Targets

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEINER View Post
I can tell you what not to use as a target.
Just a kid and had a 22 rifle. Went to the dumps to shoot up anything and everything.
Shot an old wore out tire and almost took the bullet flying back at me.
It wizzed by my head. I was only ten feet from the tire.
Dumb, but learned real quick to shoot at stuff that will allow the bullet to
penetrate.
Thanks for sharing that. It may help someone from shooting there eye out this Christmas
I can see where the dump would make a excellent target range though if upwind.
We used to have alot of fun shooting rats & bats on a cattle & grain farm. They would line up for is just after sunset and just before sunrise.
In the daytime someone would go in barn and give the silo top a slight crank to make the pigeons fly out for skeet practice. It was good for 6 or 7 cranks with 3 or 4 birds flying out each time.
Old December 7, 2013, 05:54 PM   #58
tahunua001

well when I was younger my older brother and I both worked at the same grocery store. we got in an entire pallet of crumpled cans of tomato soup and couldn't do anything with. so my brother and I took a couple boxes to the local range and blasted away for a few hours... whoever used the range next must have thought they wandered into a crime scene because the next time we went out there they had a sign that said "no soup".
Old December 9, 2013, 01:43 PM   #59
Garycw

Unusual Targets

Ha ha "NO SOUP FOR YOU"!!!
Old December 9, 2013, 10:07 PM   #60
CWin

Cans of cheap foam shaving cream make a nice white explosion!!!
I heard a story of some guys that went out and caught a prairie dog and spray painted its back red, then let it go back home down in its tunnels. A couple days later they go back to the field, set up a couple hundred yards away in the beds of their trucks and had a large sum of money laying by for the guy that can locate and drop the painted prairie dog....

Last edited by CWin; December 9, 2013 at 10:13 PM.
Old December 13, 2013, 08:19 PM   #61
psychopuppy1

had saved up a bunch of cans of ether(sp?)! Either full and not working, or empty ( which they never are!) Started a bonfire, and set the cans on a log in front of the fire! At about dark thirty, they make a great flash when you hit one with a 22!!!
Old December 14, 2013, 08:42 PM   #62
james7652

I have been looking at many different postings, from this site and other forums, to find home-made shoot and see self-healing targets, for me to use while shooting my SR22. You know…the ones that once hit, reveals a bright color for you to see where the bullet hit and on the backside, the exit hole seals up and is not noticeable, so that later, you can use that side also. I saw one, in which a kneeling pad, usually smaller than 8”X15”, and costing around $6, was used. But, I found a much larger pad, for just a couple dollars more. I found a 12”X24”X1” closed cell foam pad at austinkayak.com, for $7.99, and currently with free shipping. I have ordered 2 pieces. They also sell the 12”X24” in ½” and 2” thicknesses. I wasn’t sure if the ½” thick would self-heal, as well as the 1”, so that is why I chose the 1”.

I have purchased a 20 yard roll of yellow duct tape, for $3.71 and a flat black, can of spray paint for under a $1, from Walmart. I can have 2- 12”X24”targets, 4- 12”X12” targets or adhere them together, making 1-24”X24” large target. You can always cut them to any size you want, making many more targets. Then, take the yellow (or any bright color) duct tape and completely cover one side of the foam. Take the black paint and spray it over the duct tape. Then, you can use a paper plate, with cut out circles, squares, etc. to use as a stencil and use another color of spray paint, to put those designs on top of the black paint. Instead of using the stencil and paint, you can tear off pieces of the duct tape and stick it on wax paper and paint it a different color. Then peel off and stick it on top of the black paint, in any pattern you want. You can always paint any design you want, on top of the black paint, instead of using the stencil. When you shoot the target, the black paint will chip off, revealing the colored duct tape, where your bullet hit. The back of the foam will almost look untouched, as it self-heals, by sealing back up, as the bullet passes through. You can use the front of the target, as long as you like, or until it is just too shot up. Then, remove the duct tape and repeat the procedure on the backside, where you can have a brand-new shoot and see target! You can experiment and see how often you can repeat the process, until the target is non-useable. Depending on how many targets you make out of the pieces that you have and how many times you can re-do the target, you can save a lot of money.

I am looking forward to getting my foam and making my targets. I know that I am probably not telling you anything that you don’t already know, but you will be hard-pressed to find that closed cell foam at a better price. I am not sure how long the free shipping is going to last. I hope that this may have been helpful to you. Happy shooting!
Old December 15, 2013, 07:56 AM   #63
cryogenic419

Some of the various things I have shot over the years

Potatoes, tomatoes, ears of corn, pumpkins (the day after Halloween) cans of tomato sauce, oranges, apples, cans of pop, cans of Pam cooking spray, cans of expanding foam, shaving cream, bags of flour, milk jugs filled with water...both liquid and frozen, phone books, mini propane tanks, a 4 lb roast that was on clearance at the grocery store, eggs, a kids big wheel bike, an inflated car tire still on the rim, and a Ford Fiesta.

Some of the more fun/interesting ones out of all that were the expanding foam...hit it with a 12ga slug and all of a sudden there was just a huge cloud of that crap in the air and almost like slow motion it fell to the ground. Shaving cream was kind of the same way. The Pam was probably the coolest and messiest though. Hit it towards the bottom of the can with a rifle and like some crazy trick shot cowboy thing, the can flies like 20 feet in the air spinning and spraying out. Can hits the ground and theres this cloud in the air that won't dissipate, just slowly falling. The walk over to pick up the garbage was a nightmare, the grass was slippery as hell from all the nonstick spray.

While not a really unusual target, it is very cost effective. Paper plates and a can of spraypaint. I just use a piece of plexiglass with a 4 inch circle cut out of it, lay that over the paper plate and give the paint a spray...instant target center.
Old December 15, 2013, 01:29 PM   #64
Chad.C

Go to your local food pantry/bank whatever you want to call it and shoot all the expired canned food then when a 12 ga slug hits one of those cans you won't belive how far the food flies its also fun to shoot cans of spray paint

EDIT: Shoot the cans AFTER you take them home I didn't want any miscommunication lol
Old December 15, 2013, 07:21 PM   #65
skizzums

i also bring paper plates and a big crayon every time i go out shootingg, usually its saved for when we run out of more interesting stuff to shoot
Old December 25, 2013, 07:56 AM   #66
hodaka

aspirin and Tums
Old December 25, 2013, 06:33 PM   #67
mouser868

thumbtacks and staples
Old January 1, 2014, 03:24 PM   #68
tahunua001

empty 22 casings.
Old January 1, 2014, 03:37 PM   #69
kutz

Cheap soda cans, well shaken.
Old January 16, 2014, 11:48 AM   #70
Drew's Gun's

One of my old favs is the big 5gal water jugs full of dyed water or two liters full of dyed water the make on heck of a splatter when short with a 30.06 or .270
Old January 16, 2014, 10:03 PM   #71
baddarryl

We used to shoot rats at the city dump at night, but they have clamped down on that for sure!
Old January 22, 2014, 02:25 PM   #72
mrdaputer

I take several balloons put in a mixture of sawdust and chalk the stuff used in snapping lines. When i get to the outdoor range I put some air into them. Hang them up and shoot away. You can make your own self healing targets using the expandafoam in milk jugs, balloons etc. They work nice too and can take a lot of hits.
Old January 22, 2014, 03:30 PM   #73
MRYANJ99

With all the snow we got here, my kids and I made a bunch of snowmen in the backyard and went to town on them with BB guns. After they went inside, I broke out my shotgun loaded with birdshot and obliterated Frosty.
Old January 22, 2014, 06:31 PM   #74
Boatme98

When I lived in the woods, I'd buy cheap canned corn and tomato soup.
They make a great splat.
Old January 25, 2014, 12:17 PM   #75
Garycw

I think it'd be fun to shoot cheap butane lighters with 22lr tracers. Better yet the refill cans.