The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old January 6, 2014, 05:54 PM   #1
ClydeFrog

ATF form 6/ammuntion manufacturer license link & process...

A few friends & I are researching starting a small business making & selling small lots of training/marksmanship ammunition.
We are looking at the markets/vendors/industry & legal issues etc.
Can any TFL member here post a link to the "form 6", the ATF form for a ammunition manufacturer license.
Would all the business partners/principals need the ATF license? Or just one application with all the business owners listed on it?
Also, how long would the entire process take? I'd think it might take a few months but not years(I hope! ).
Any details about fees or overall costs to be licensed would be a big help too.

I have a informal contact with a local ATF field office SA but I wanted to check online too.

PM me if you want to keep your remarks private.

Thanks
ClydeFrog
Old January 6, 2014, 06:10 PM   #2
Tom Servo
Staff

I think you mean Type 6. The application is here [pdf].
Old January 7, 2014, 09:34 AM   #3
MtnCreek

Consider getting an 07. Lots more options, but it will come with additional responsibilities.

You need a local (county or city) business license and obtaining one will be dependent on zoning (if applicable). If zoning is a problem, talk to your planning dept about a variance (if needed, this could take a few months). ATFE will contact your county/city to confirm prior to issuing the FFL.

The forms (you need to call ATF to obtain the FFL package) states the time frame for issuance. I think it's 90 days, but don't hold me to that. IME, they may take a little longer than the stated time.

A manufacturing application also requires some environmental paperwork. Don't make it harder than it is. IME, it's fine to make some questions as 'Not Applicable'. Get a copy of the plat for the business premises; you'll need it to make a map showing shop location and property boundaries, streams, lakes, .... Be honest. It would be tempting to say you're recycling this or that.... but it's not required.

I think anyone responsible for firearms has to be listed. I don't remember how that works. I do know they are several places for multiple responsible persons.

How good of friends are you? How important is your friendship? No need to answer, but you may want to ask yourself (and discuss w/ your friends). IMHO, clear, written rules, responsibilities and a way to dissolve one or all memberships is a good idea. This should be part of the LLC or Inc. If you're going to use any privately owned assets (shop, truck, ...), lease them to the business. Also, you need a good GL policy. The questions and paperwork that your insurance company will want will make the FFL process look tame.

Good luck and I'll be looking for my case of ammo. 9mm 147gr Gold Dots will do fine.

Edit: Look up ITAR. I won't say whether it applies to your business. I've discussed this with atf agents and some say yes and some say no. I believe I know the answer, but I'll let you dig into that.

Last edited by MtnCreek; January 7, 2014 at 09:39 AM.
Old January 7, 2014, 10:27 AM   #4
ClydeFrog

Post 03....

Thanks for the detailed post. I do have a few basic questions.
What is ISAR? I never heard that term & Im not sure how to research it.
I assume GL means general liability.
I guess we would need to get a small business loan, rent a office/business location(that meets the zoning/environmental requirements), become incorporated or set up a LLc, file the ATF applications/packets, get the equipment, material, etc.
Our short term goal is to buy a Dillon system & start practicing with 9x19mm brass.

Clyde
PS; Id also ask what the benefits are for applying for or obtaining the type 07 ATF FFL.
Old January 7, 2014, 10:35 AM   #5
MtnCreek

Quote:
What is ISAR? I never heard that term & Im not sure how to research it.
http://www.pmddtc.state.gov/regulations_laws/itar.html

Quote:
I assume GL means general liability.
Yes.
Quote:
I guess we would need to get a small business loan, rent a office/business location(that meets the zoning/environmental requirements), become incorporated or set up a LLc, file the ATF applications/packets, get the equipment, material, etc.
Will the business service the loan and leave enough to be divvied up between you and your partners? Debt is a bad place to start.

The business needs to be formed before the FFL application is filled out. The business should be licensed, not you as an individual.

Quote:
Id also ask what the benefits are for applying for or obtaining the type 07 ATF FFL.
You get to play with firearms too.
Old January 7, 2014, 01:32 PM   #6
ClydeFrog

ITAR, public contracts...

The ITAR thing is interesting but we do not plan to export any ammunition overseas or do any contract/business overseas.
Once licensed, we'd start with flea markets, gun shows, etc. Then expand into web sales, catalog etc. The business plan is for small arms ammunition(target & training type) to be part of the business. We'd also sell/market gear, clothing, equipment, accessories etc related to the gun/military/public safety market.
Old January 8, 2014, 09:41 AM   #7
Armorer-at-Law

Quote:
The ITAR thing is interesting but we do not plan to export any ammunition overseas or do any contract/business overseas.
It doesn't matter. ITAR registration is required if you manufacture or export firearms or ammunition. There are some very narrow exceptions, but if you are making military calibers (9mm, 7.62, 5.56), it is unlikely to be exempt.