The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 24, 2012, 09:20 PM   #26
Unclenick
Staff

Please don't double post. It wastes board bandwidth and splits up the answers for those trying to follow it. I'll merge this with your other thread on the same topic.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old September 24, 2012, 09:45 PM   #27
Vance

Lee case trimmers do work. Tney are simple,but like anything else( any other brand of trimmer), you have to use it properly. If you try to tighten the case holder while the case bottom isn't resting on the holder flat and square, you won't get it tight enough. I've done a few thousand .223 with my lee trimmer. I've noticed I have more trouble when I have been trimming for a long period and get tired. When that happens, just stop and come back to it later.
Old September 27, 2012, 11:20 AM   #28
jproaster

I'm seriously considering the RCBS pro Trimmer 2 along with 3 way Cutter in 223 since I'd like to load a few hundred/ month. Midway has a sale and rebate on rcbs stuff. Still, that's between $250 and $300. Ouch.

Ok. An hour ago a friend dropped off a Lyman universal trimmer, which is probably about 10 or more years old. There are no extra parts; I assume it will trim one caliber just looking at it. It looks rough but it works.

Thoughts?

John

Last edited by jproaster; September 27, 2012 at 03:12 PM. Reason: Product brought to my attention.
Old September 29, 2012, 02:47 AM   #29
thump_rrr

I use the Dillon Rt-1200 in my Hornady LnL AP Progressive with case feeder.
I tried using the RCBS Lube Die but switched to using the Dillon spray lube. I spray roughly 200 cases at a time while they are laid out on a cookie sheet.
1500/hr is easy to achieve.
Old September 29, 2012, 04:15 AM   #30
1stmar

I have a Lyman universal trimmer, IMO takes to long to make adjustments from cartridge to cartridge. If you only trim one size case it's ok. I wouldn't want to do a lot wo a power adapter.
Old October 1, 2012, 09:01 PM   #31
Unclenick
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by jproaster
I'm seriously considering the RCBS pro Trimmer 2 along with 3 way Cutter in 223 since I'd like to load a few hundred/ month. Midway has a sale and rebate on rcbs stuff. Still, that's between $250 and $300. Ouch.

Ok. An hour ago a friend dropped off a Lyman universal trimmer, which is probably about 10 or more years old. There are no extra parts; I assume it will trim one caliber just looking at it. It looks rough but it works.

Thoughts?

John
My thought is that you can buy a Gracey trimmer for that kind of money ($300), and for not quite half again more ($440), a Giraud. These guys have been at it a lot longer than RCBS has from the standpoint of refinement, and they both register off the shoulder instead of the case head, which makes more geometric sense for rimless rifle cases. The distance from the shoulder, which the cartridge headspaces on, to the end of the neck is what actually matters to the extension of the neck and bullet ogive into chamber, not from the case head to the case mouth.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old October 2, 2012, 12:30 AM   #32
DASHZNT

I use a makeshift lathe with a drill motor i used in the past for pool cue repairs... It works amazingly with the WFT Trimmer by Little Crow Gunworks, Its $70 shipped, that little tool is scarily accurate!!! After that I use a Hornady handheld deburrer/chamferer and the swage the primer pockets of the crimled military brass with the Dillon Super Swage 600. Typically, the WFT claims to deburr the shell, but I still like the finish the hornady tool puts on it, so I add the addional step to the process. It sounds like alot of work but it flows very well, I like to trim 100 pieces and then switch to deburr/chamfer and then to swage, this keeps my thumb and index finger from developing blisters from the trimming. I can complete 1000 rounds in around 5-6 hours, maybe less but i choose to just always have brass ready for each stage of the preparation phase and after a few weeks or so, I have several tbousand rounds ready for reloading through my Dillon 550B which I can make around 500 rounds per hour without rushing the process.

I hope this helps and if there is anything else you think i might be able to help you with, dont hesitate to ask eithrr here or via PM... Thank You.

DASHZNT
Old October 2, 2012, 10:51 AM   #33
rebs

I added a small O ring to my Lee case holder for trimming and it keeps the holder from loosening up. I also had bought the Lee case holder for the zip trimmer and put it in a coedless drill and it works well also, its a toss up as to which works better since they both work well for me now.