The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old August 26, 2008, 06:40 AM   #1
Magnum Wheel Man

cleaning up the threads ???

so lock tight is good stuff right... so I'm doing some changing around in my Contender stuff, & most all of the sights, bases, etc. have been lock tighted...

... after the screw removal, what do you use to clean up the thead area ??? for example, I removed a front sight last night, & wanted to insert some small "fill screws" ( headless screws to fill the holes ), & there was enough residual lock tight gunk on the threads& in the hole, that I could not get the screws to screw in flush... also on an old Lobo scope base, there was ( I assume ) lock tight added under the base between the base & the barrel... I guess I want to remove the residual stuff before adding a new / better base for the new scope, yet I don't want to damage the blueing ??? what's a guy to use ???

... also, there must be special taps available that are flat on the end, for threading those blind holes in barrels ??? all of mine are regular self cleaning, & so are pointed... I should pick up a set for cleaning up holes before reinstalling new hardware...

thanks for any advice...
Old August 26, 2008, 07:25 AM   #2
JasonG

The taps you want are called bottoming taps. For a machinist they are common. Try a "tool and die" supplier in your area or McMaster-Carr.
Old August 26, 2008, 09:01 AM   #3
Slopemeno

Probably A 6-48. Try Brownells.

You can make your own "bottoming tap" pretty easily if you can't find one. Cut a 6-48 tap with a cut-off wheel about 1/3rd up it's length, and there you go. Try to cut/quench/cut/quench if possible. I recycled a number of broken off taps this way, and theyre pretty handy.
Old August 26, 2008, 01:00 PM   #4
Scorch

You won't find taps for gun screws at a machinist supply store. Go to Brownells.

I always use alcohol on a Q-Tip to clean out screw holes, and alchohl on a rifle patch for cleaning acrews.