The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old June 18, 2011, 03:12 AM   #1
Sgt.Fathead

TX Bird Hunting Noob

Any members from Northeast Texas got a line on some good bird hunting and any interest in helping a total noob out. Relocating from NJ, I've died and gone to heaven regarding firearms and open spaces. One of the things I could never do back east was learn to hunt! I didn't know anyone that could teach me and self taught deer hunting turned out to be two seasons of freezing my tail off and getting nowhere.

So, if anyone cares to take pity on em and at the very least, steer me towards some sort of resource, I would greatly appreciate it. Love the flavor of quail, pheasant, chukkar, need to bag some birds.

Many thanks.
Old June 18, 2011, 09:17 AM   #2
rodwhaincamo

Do you shoot clay pigeons? That would be about the best practice you can get (leading the bird).
For me the most fun is dove hunting. Fast and furious. At times you cannot reload fast enough!
I might add that you should know the people you would hunt with. I went on a paid guided dove hunt to find the expected us to hunt nearly shoulder to shoulder and some of the guys had been drinking!
I ended up hunting cottontails in the trees and brush where the other hunters didn't want to be.
Quail are great fun as well, but much harder unless you have a good dog. My hunting buddy never lets me utilize his. Guess I need my own.
Hope this helps in some small way.
Old June 18, 2011, 10:27 AM   #3
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Gunstores and feed'n'seed farm supply stores commonly have fliers or business cards about hunting leases of all sorts.

It takes a while for a newcomer to get to know folks and get invites to hunts. So, do the claybird thing to sharpen the shooting eye, and look for a lease...
Old June 21, 2011, 01:37 AM   #4
Sgt.Fathead

I appreciate the input, I might have made a connection down in Denton. Thanks!