The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old September 20, 2013, 09:44 AM   #1
Jimmy96a1

Beretta 96a1, 700 round review and cleaning tips!

Hello firingline, Just picked up my first handgun ever! My price range was up to 900$ and i wanted a handgun id be able to use as a begginer but also one that i could grow into. So when i was shopping a new shiny beretta 96a1 in 40 s&w caught my eye and for 699$ id be able to get bullets and a cleaning kit, score! This gun hs been holding up really well, ive run all kinds of ammo threw it jhp and fmj ive found the heavyer stuff works best for me the 180 grain. The only problems i ran into was like 3 fail to feed all the way into the chamber on the first 100 rounds,leaving the magazines full overnight eliminatex that problem. Im not a large person and i heard alot of talk how this gun is huge and hard to hold but it fits my hand real well one handed or two. I like the longer barel as i like shootin at stuff at around 50 feet the most. The trigger pull in DA and SA are both clean and break nice n crisp. I love the saftey/decocker as im very saftey contious, its easy to reach and manipulate with one hand same as the slide catch, its extremely easy to click the saftey off so in an emergency taking it off quick is easy. Its very easy to field strip and clean. The barrel is chrome lined making it very easy and quick to clean. Its a heavy full size gun and recoil isnt bad at all,snappy but still comfy to shoot. While cleaning a Q-tip cut at an angle works wonders gettin crap out from under the extractor, and when you have it all ready to be put back together while your putting the slide back on, do it quickly like your racking one into the chamber and itll go smooth without the hickups.This gun is very accurate, i can shoot hand sized groups at 50 feet and im a begginer. But i have gotten a ton better since round 1. I can hit water jugs when i set em up all over. Learning to shoot has been fun and easy and now i have a gun i will hopefully have for many years.Thanks for reading! Im always happy to hear about other begginers and beretta owners
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (89.0 KB, 33 views)

Last edited by Jimmy96a1; September 21, 2013 at 12:55 PM. Reason: Add pictures!
Old September 20, 2013, 09:55 AM   #2
shortwave

Congrats on your new pistola.

Glad you're having fun and...

Welcome to TFL.
Old September 20, 2013, 10:04 AM   #3
Jimmy96a1

Thanks for the welcome Shortwave! Ive been readin forums here forever and happy to finnaly join!
Old September 20, 2013, 01:54 PM   #4
shortwave

Glad to finally have you aboard.
Old September 20, 2013, 04:43 PM   #5
Mr_Jumper

Very fine choice for first handgun. Welcome and enjoy.
Old September 20, 2013, 04:53 PM   #6
Wreck-n-Crew

Welcome to TFL!

Also congratulations.

Love the 96 and 92 model Beretta's. Have had a place in my "wanted section" for some time now.

May have to lose some of the less desirable I currently have to make room, both physically and financially.

BTW we want Pics!....lol
Old September 20, 2013, 11:50 PM   #7
Jimmy96a1

Added pics to post from iPad. Well one lol wouldn't do three. Enjoy!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (239.8 KB, 70 views)

Last edited by Jimmy96a1; September 21, 2013 at 01:20 PM. Reason: More pics