The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old October 5, 2008, 08:36 PM   #1
murphjup

Beretta White Onyx???

Anyone have one? I am considering the purchase of 12/28 for some sporting clays and some quail hunting...

Thoughts, coments would be appreciated...

Thank you in advance....

Old October 6, 2008, 06:58 AM   #2
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

I've had mine for just under two years. It's the sporter with 32" barrels, but the action and so on are identical.

It's a death ray when I do my part. About 9K rounds so far.

Rarely, the inertia trigger fails to reset for the second barrel when using my super light 7/8 oz reloads.

I did replace the Geltek pads with a Sims Limbsaver. It was a prefit that fits perfectly and works much better.

Otherwise, the WO is nigh perfect. While steady on the swing, it's still nimble enough for dove.

HTH....
Old October 6, 2008, 01:01 PM   #3
BigJimP

good, serviceable guns - if it fits you - it'll be a good gun for you. The primary issue on all shotguns is fit - so they hit where you look. If it has a mid rib bead - make sure beads are stacked like figure 8 - but you'll need to take it to a pattern board to really know if point of impact is where you're looking - but if its off - it can be adjusted with comb pads, etc.
Old October 6, 2008, 11:06 PM   #4
scotts_4x

I've had mine for going on 2 years and I love it, it's a 20 ga white onyx. fit me the best out of the other guns I looked at and I really like the looks/weight of the gun. I had to adjust the pitch of the pad as it was recoiling up my shoulder into my face but other than that it fits really well. mine weighs in at a flat 6lbs so it carries really nice in the field, plus is not too bad on the skeet feild with 7/8 oz load of #8s.

-Scott
Old November 1, 2008, 08:25 PM   #5
Energy Recruitment

TheFiringLine Forums > The Hide

I carry my Makarov with Hornady XTPs that I hand-loaded. 9mm Mak/9X18, with the right JHP design, is a dependable expander. As for penatration, it could be better, but compared to other small caliber rounds (.25 ACP, .32 ACP, and .380 ACP) it is pretty darn good. Remember, a 3 inch deep wound is fatal (assuming you hit a vital spot)mhen I'm out in the woods I carry FMJs instead. I figure I might run into some kinda four legged critter and extra penatration might be more important than expansion.