The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old September 14, 2016, 04:56 PM   #1
Scottkc

Now qualified for a Darwin Award

All,

I have a Liberty Centurion safe that is 7-8 years old. I believe that it is the CN24 model...anyhow, the electronic solenoid started taking a few times before allowing me to engage the handle and open the door. Instead of lubing the mechanism, I thought, "Wow, let's just order a new solenoid." Took inside firewall of safe off, removed the solenoid to get S&G part number, and looked for part online. Well...that was several weeks ago and I got distracted and reminded myself to NOT turn the handle and lock the safe.

Yep, it's locked. No solenoid on the inside and probably no hope. Called Liberty to see if there may be something possible, since the inside door panel was removed as well as the solenoid 'block'. The very nice service rep explained that since the handle will not turn at all...the re-locker has been activated.

Looking for a solution. I can call a locksmith, but it is possible to remove keypad and manipulate the levers inside with the solenoid 'block removed? Is it possible to use a welding rod to manipulate the relocker? Or is there even a hole large enough to do this. I am assuming that there is a hole that is only small enough for the wiring to reach the solenoid.

I did remove keypad battery and looked up into the keypad and saw a screw. Is it possible to remove keypad from outside? At this point I will obviously be replacing the electronics to a dial, but not sure which direction to go.

--ugh
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20160913_181546.jpg (43.8 KB, 125 views)
File Type: jpg 20160913_181556.jpg (44.3 KB, 120 views)
Old September 16, 2016, 01:12 PM   #2
houser52

I have a smaller safe with a S&G electronic lock and have been locked out twice. Had to call a locksmith and the only way to get inside was for him to drill two holes into the side as to get to the locking mechanism.

I got tired of being locked out so I installed a S&G dial lock. No more electronics for me.

Here's the way mine is made inside. Notice that removing the keypad and drilling through the front will accomplish nothing.

GOA Member

Last edited by houser52; September 16, 2016 at 01:43 PM.
Old September 17, 2016, 12:27 PM   #3
rightside

DOOOH!!
Old September 20, 2016, 01:14 AM   #4
Theohazard

Man, from the thread title I though it would be way worse. After all, in order to get a Darwin Award you have to die doing something dumb.
Old September 20, 2016, 04:47 AM   #5
Old Bill Dibble

Or get your manly bits knocked off.

Safes are fairly easy for a competent lock smith to break in to.
Old October 2, 2016, 08:24 AM   #6
b.deb

Cheap bore scope and some mad coat hanger skills.
Old October 2, 2016, 09:15 AM   #7
g.willikers

Just wrap the safe with lots of chains and padlocks.
Old School method.
Old October 2, 2016, 10:07 AM   #8
TheGunGeek

I have multiple high security safes at work, and a fair amount of experience. The gun safes are really not high security, and a locksmith shouldn't have any issue gaining access, however they will have to drill into the safe door. The benefit of electronic locks is ease of use and quick access. The downside is they can fail sometimes without warning. I've never had a manual combination lock fail without warning, or one I couldn't open afterwards with methodical number off-sets.

Depending on what you have, Plan B could be break into it yourself and upgrade.
Old October 2, 2016, 06:43 PM   #9
taylorce1

My cheapo gun safe has an electronic keypad and if that fails it has a key back up. All I have to do is remove the keypad to let to the keyhole.
Old October 2, 2016, 09:40 PM   #10
johnwilliamson062

Quote:
My cheapo gun safe has an electronic keypad and if that fails it has a key back up. All I have to do is remove the keypad to let to the keyhole.
I hope you understand every professional burglar knows this also and most key locks can be forced quickly or picked in just a few moments more. Most safes use a better key than house key, but they also aren't usually extremely secure keys/locks.
Old October 3, 2016, 11:50 AM   #11
taylorce1

Quote:
I hope you understand every professional burglar knows this also and most key locks can be forced quickly or picked in just a few moments more. Most safes use a better key than house key, but they also aren't usually extremely secure keys/locks.
Just like I understand there isn't a single "gun safe" out there that can keep a determined burglar out. It's is just there to keep the lazy burglars, young kids, and honest people out.
Old October 3, 2016, 12:00 PM   #12
Lohman446

When I was buying my safe I had picked out the one I wanted (I picked a mechanical lock for just this type of issue) and the saleman must have been told to make sure you always get customers to upgrade. As he was going through his spiel I told him there was a plasma cutter in the barn and asked him if any of these would hold up to it. He let me buy the safe I had wanted
Old October 3, 2016, 12:05 PM   #13
FrankenMauser

You need a safe company.

Call Liberty to see if they have any further recommendations.
If not, find some one to do the dirty deed.
Old October 3, 2016, 08:29 PM   #14
johnwilliamson062

Quote:
Just like I understand there isn't a single "gun safe" out there that can keep a determined burglar out. It's is just there to keep the lazy burglars, young kids, and honest people out.
True, but the little extra security may deter an un-determined burglar or leave signs to let you know right away there was an issue.