The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old June 24, 2007, 11:50 PM   #1
Pepe

Buying my first HD shooty?

OK, I had a .22 bolt action rifle as a kid but that's all the experience I have. Now I want to buy a shotgun and I decided on the Rem 870 because it appears it's everyone's favorite and unlike the Mossberg, it allows you to install a mag extension.

But here's what I want to know:

- Any drawbacks to getting a folding stock? Are they sturdy enough?

- If I buy a non-Magnum 3 inch chambered gun will I be able to convert it to a magnum by merely changing the barrel

- What are the pros and cons of a pistol grip foreign?

Thanx for your help!

Cheers,
Pepe

Last edited by Pepe; June 25, 2007 at 05:44 PM.
Old June 25, 2007, 03:08 AM   #2
bcarver

stock choice

I would not start shooting with anything other than a standard stock.
folding stocks with pistol grips and pistol grip shoulder stocks recoil differently than a standard stock.
With a standard stock you will be able to aim swing and recover better than with any other stock.
Once you get to feeling like you are shooting like a pro and things become instinctive you can try a different stock.

A 2.75" can be converted to shoot 3" but it takes more than changing the barrel. "Wilson Combat'' does a conversion. I'm guessing that they open up the ejection port.
Old June 25, 2007, 06:20 AM   #3
timothy75

Folding stocks are mostly for storage issues and will take a second to deploy plus are not as comfortable. I consider that a dissadvantage. Most if not all 870's accept 3'' shells and 2 3/4 as is. I see no reason to use a 3 1/2 in self defense at all. Pistol gripped forends will add bulkiness and serve no purpose that I'm aware of. I'd recomend a plain 18'' barrel with 6 shot magazine matte finished bead sight version for HD. Good luck
Old June 25, 2007, 10:51 AM   #4
Slopemeno

Go with the standard wood stock. The "youth" versions are great, plus you can find them used pretty often. The rule of thumb with folding stocks is "They'll be open when you need them to be closed, and closed when you need them to be open". The KISS principle really applies here. Remember this is a tool that you will be using under pressure, probably in low light, with your attention on a threat.

For ammo, the extra power of 3" is unnecessary. Go with the reduced recoil buckshot thats available these days. It groups tighter, and has less flash and blast. If you want a 3" gun, buy one up front. In order to convert an 870the barrel needs to be a 3" and the ejector in the receiver needs to be altered. Wilson offers this, BTW. To be real honest, I've never fired a 3" shell except in a hunting situation. 2 3/4" works fine for HD.

An extension is never a bad idea. I have an 18" 870 with the barrel-length extension and its a handy size for moving around the house.

I'd also suggest you find a local bowling-pin match and try shooting some stages with your new gun. Using it under some match stress helps acclimate you to the gun.
Old June 25, 2007, 11:18 AM   #5
FS2K

Hey Pepe.

Well first off, if you may as well get an 870 that can chamber 3" mags right off the bat. No sense in getting one that can only chamber 2 3/4" loads if you ever think you may want to try 3" mags. A 3" mag can shoot 2 3/4" shells all day long, a 2 3/4" can't shoot 3" mags at all.

As for the folding stock, well they look cool and all but unless you plan on doing allot of practice shooting from the hip, they don't really serve any practical purpose. If you want to swap your stock I highly recommend KNOXX industries stock. More than just hype, these stocks DO eliminate recoil to the max. and because they are retractable they are almost as good as a folder as far as storage goes.
Old June 25, 2007, 12:04 PM   #6
RedneckFur

A 3" shell is going to have some still recoil. I woudlnt want to shoot it from a plastic or wire folding stock. I wouldnt even attempt it with a pistol grip.

I think you'd do fine with a short barrled remington or mossberg pump, or, if youre inclined to try one out, one of the "coach guns" Double barreled guns with 18-20 inch barrels, and considerably shorter overall than your average pump or auto.
Old June 25, 2007, 01:26 PM   #7
frankxd

Quote:
Rem 870 because it appears it's everyone's favorite and unlike the Mossberg, it allows you to install a mag extension.
Isn't this backwards? I thought that Remington put dimples on the magazine to keep from adding an extention. I believe that the Maverick is the only Mossy that won't accept an extention.
Old June 25, 2007, 04:38 PM   #8
Pepe

I read somewhere, don't remember where exactly, that all Mossberg's can't be extended while Remington's shotguns have a dimple which is easy to remove .... but I could be wrong, lots of false info on the net. I am not speaking from experience, just from what I read.
Old June 25, 2007, 04:43 PM   #9
Pepe

message erased

Last edited by Pepe; June 25, 2007 at 05:43 PM.
Old June 25, 2007, 05:42 PM   #10
Pepe

Well, I made up my mind. I am getting an 870 Rem Express with 18 inch barrel, ATI 7 shot mag extension and a Knoxx SpecOps stock

Last question: The ATI mag extension looks to be made of cheap plastic, are there better mag extensions out there? Something made of aluminum or steel maybe?
Old June 25, 2007, 05:56 PM   #11
Slopemeno

Remington extensions are out there. Google is your friend.
Old June 25, 2007, 08:01 PM   #12
RevolverLover

Quote:
Well, I made up my mind. I am getting an 870 Rem Express with 18 inch barrel, ATI 7 shot mag extension and a Knoxx SpecOps stock
Why get the ATI magazine extension if the Remington 870 HD Express shotgun you linked already comes from the factory with one?

"One test = 1,000 expert opinions." -Art Eatman
Old June 25, 2007, 09:26 PM   #13
FS2K

Yes, there are dimples in the mag tubes of most of the new 870's

Which could easily be dealt with by simply drilling them out (instead of filing or hammering flat) however models like the "Marine" 870 already has a mag ext. and no restrictive 'dimples'
Old June 25, 2007, 09:43 PM   #14
KALIFORNIST

+1 the link you have has the proper quality extention allready.
Old June 25, 2007, 11:13 PM   #15
banditt007

instead of going by what everyone else likes why dont you handle an 870 and a 500 and see what fits YOU and what YOU like. dont get caught up in all the add on b.s. you havent even shot a shotgun yet. you need to find out what you like and dont like and go from there. not start out with 'cool' 'tactical' stuff that you THINK you need. grab a basic one of each shotgun and put at least 1k shells through it before you start modding it. thats my frank $0.02
Old June 26, 2007, 08:01 AM   #16
frankxd

I've been researching a shotgun purchase myself. Both Remington and Mossy shotguns both come in so many different configurations, you are better off just ordering what you want, instead of buying a new one and modding. Now if you get a great deal on a used one that is not the configuartion that you want, it might be cheaper to mod it.