The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old July 8, 2015, 12:55 PM   #1
Consort

Sig P229 grip question

I purchased a Sig P229 that came with the textured E2 (wrap around) grips. I don't really care for them and want to replace them with either the standard polymer or aluminum grips. The task requires more than just removing some screws. Has anyone tackled the job? The Sig site recommends taking it to a qualified gunsmith. Just wonderin'.
Old July 8, 2015, 01:01 PM   #2
TunnelRat

Sig P229 grip question

A gunsmith? Lord no. The wrap around is held on by tension and little tabs that sit in the frame. All you have to do is lift up on both sides and pull it off. That said, it's a lot of tension. SIG used to ship the E2 pistols with a special plastic "tool". It's a plastic pole maybe 8-10" long with a crosspiece (check your case). To use it lock the slide back, take out the magazine, and stick the tool up the magazine well. Then rotate the tool so that the crosspiece pushes out on the sides of the E2 grip. Then pull the grip off the back. For the replacement grips you will need grip screws but the bushings should still be in the frame. I'd like someone to confirm that though.

Last edited by TunnelRat; July 8, 2015 at 01:17 PM.
Old July 8, 2015, 02:10 PM   #3
buckhorn_cortez

Quote:
For the replacement grips you will need grip screws but the bushings should still be in the frame. I'd like someone to confirm that though.
On my P229 the bushings were in the frame under the E2 grips. I replaced the SIG factory grips with Hogue grips. Hogue offers grip screws separately for their grips.

From the Hogue website:

Quote:
ATTENTION P229 E2 Owners: Our Hogue P229 grips will fit the new P229 E2 frames; however, you will need to purchase the four required grip screws separately.
Old July 8, 2015, 02:30 PM   #4
Consort

I checked the case and there is no tool inside. I already ordered the replacement grips and a set of screws. It seems like the process is a lot more involved when you go from the standard grips to the E2's. Going in reverse will hopefully be simpler. Now I'll have to work on locating one of those grip tools. Thanks to all who weighed in.......
Old July 8, 2015, 02:34 PM   #5
TunnelRat

I used to have one lying around but I think I gave it away. I'm pretty sure if you called SIG they'd either send you one or charge a nominal amount.
Old July 8, 2015, 02:43 PM   #6
Worc

Quote:
A gunsmith? Lord no. The wrap around is held on by tension and little tabs that sit in the frame. All you have to do is lift up on both sides and pull it off. That said, it's a lot of tension. SIG used to ship the E2 pistols with a special plastic "tool". It's a plastic pole maybe 8-10" long with a crosspiece (check your case). To use it lock the slide back, take out the magazine, and stick the tool up the magazine well. Then rotate the tool so that the crosspiece pushes out on the sides of the E2 grip. Then pull the grip off the back. For the replacement grips you will need grip screws but the bushings should still be in the frame. I'd like someone to confirm that though.
spot on.
Another thing you can do is use a piece of wooden dowl or even a flat tip screw driver and push the grip off that way. There are holes in the mag well frame. That's where you push on the grip. You may or may not hear a snap noise as the retaining pegs pop out of the screw holes. All you need to do is pop the pegs and slide the grip back a little. then you can pull it of by hand from the back.
Old July 8, 2015, 03:53 PM   #7
buckhorn_cortez

You really don't need the SIG tool. If you look inside the magazine well, you will see cutouts in the grip frame. You can use any tool to push on the inside of the E2 grip to pop it off.
Old July 8, 2015, 04:06 PM   #8
TunnelRat

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckhorn_cortez View Post
You really don't need the SIG tool. If you look inside the magazine well, you will see cutouts in the grip frame. You can use any tool to push on the inside of the E2 grip to pop it off.

Of course. But it does make it much simpler. I'm of the habit of buying the cheap tools to save me aggravation.
Old July 8, 2015, 05:01 PM   #9
Consort

Just verifying that once the E2 grips have been removed i WILL NOT need to swap out the decocker or hammer strut.