The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old December 1, 2012, 04:00 PM   #1
baddarryl

Browning BPS 28 ga: price?

I found a Browing BPS locally for $900. It is a 28 ga, vent rib with fiber optic sight on front. Beautifully engraved stainless (i guess) receiver and mint condition. I thought the price was high until I found exactly zero 28's on gunbroker. Does this seem in line with these? Overall this shop is very fair in it's pricing other wise.
Old December 1, 2012, 07:49 PM   #2
SauerGrapes

First off, I'm sure it's probably nickel or silver nitride receiver.
Do some research and see what they go for new. It really depends on what a buyer is willing to pay. Keep in mind, it could be tough to sell if you decide it's not for you. We're talking small market for something like that.

Not surprised your not finding any used around. The 28ga is a "niche" gun usually found in O\U's some semi's and few pumps. I would imagine 28ga pumps are made in very limited quantities due to lack of demand.

I'm one of the few at our club that shoots 28ga other than the skeet shooters.

R.I.P.____Murphy
Old December 1, 2012, 10:58 PM   #3
olddrum1

A Picture would really be helpful. Have never seen a BPS with silver nitrate finish.
Old December 1, 2012, 11:04 PM   #4
olddrum1

Why not check Brownings web site to see what the MSRP is?
Remember, Google is your friend.
Old December 2, 2012, 11:03 AM   #5
baddarryl

The reason I asked is because I thought it to be used, but unsure right now. Gonna have to take a second look. I am not in the position to buy it, but was just curious. I would love to have a 28ga, but as others said, preferably in O/U.
Old December 2, 2012, 11:19 AM   #6
g.willikers

One reason for the lack of popularity of the 28 is the light 12 gauge loads that have proven effective for the clay bird games.
Another is the high cost of 28 ammo, for those who don't reload.
Old December 2, 2012, 11:37 AM   #7
BigJimP

BPS Hunter model ...is available new in a 28ga... and list is $ 700 ...probably selling new for around $ 600...

http://www.browning.com/products/cat...id=012&tid=211

silver nitrate receiver, engraved....I don't know what it could be...
(maybe someone mis-labled it ??)....but Browning does make quite a few guns, as special orders, that are not in the standard catalog as well. ( as an example, I have a pair of Browning Citori XS Skeet model O/U's .. one in 28ga and one in .410 that were both made by Browning on their XS Skeet 20ga receiver...but the 28ga and the .410 are not in the catalog. A dealer in my area, ordered 50 of each gague from Browning some years back in the day ...and a guy was talking at my club, that he had found one, and onone could tell him what they were - or who made them...)...

Last edited by BigJimP; December 2, 2012 at 11:46 AM.
Old December 3, 2012, 01:07 AM   #8
olddrum1

As I said before, Google is a great help. Checked around and found that this is in all probability a Ducks Unlimited gun. I do not know the quanity or who actually did the work on them. Spoke with a buddy in the business and was informed that the one he had seen was in the 900 to 1000$ range. It would be interesting to find out if this gun is a DU limited run.
Old December 3, 2012, 06:19 AM   #9
Virginian

Search GunBroker, GunsAmerica, etc. In any event, it is almost surely rollmarked, not engraved, and I think the price is way too high. A BPS is an excellent gun if you like the features, but it is no lightweight even in 28 gauge.
Old December 3, 2012, 02:03 PM   #10
BigJimP

In my area....Ducks Unlimited guns, Turkey Foundation guns...engraved, etc...are not typically worth more than the plain/unengraved editions are on the used market...in fact, sometimes they're worth way less than the original un-engraved editions...

commemorative guns can be a "cool" item ....and at a charity auction, I see them go for way more money than the un-engraved editions would have ...but then the money goes to the charity .../ and if the buyer, a few years later, wants to take it to a gun shop and sell it, they'll rarely get the kind of money they paid for it ...
Old December 3, 2012, 05:36 PM   #11
olddrum1

That figure in my above post was the asking and not the getting price. If I remember correctly, my 28 BPS was in the area of $525 to $550 new.
Old December 3, 2012, 06:37 PM   #12
BigJimP

That makes sense...