The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old July 3, 2008, 07:55 PM   #26
Playboypenguin

My back up is kind of the opposite of what most people consider a BUG.

Instead of being a smaller, easily concealed gun in case I lose my primary or run out of ammo it is a larger and higher capacity gun that I can hopefully get to if I find myself in a situation where my primary is inadequate for one reason or another.

It is a Springfield XD-45acp which I keep locked in my truck safe.

With one 10 round mag and another 13 round mag it gives my a good amount of ammo before reloading.

Old July 6, 2008, 11:28 AM   #27
thomp830

Back-up gun

If you are considering a back-up gun because of concerns you have with a failure- then you should carry a revolver as a back up. Something like an SP101 would be a good choice as revolvers are more dependable that semi-autos (as far as failure rate). If you pull the trigger and it goes "click" just pull it again and you get a fresh round. That's why so many Cops carry small revolvers off duty.
Old July 6, 2008, 07:05 PM   #28
Sigma 40 Blaster

I actually went with an M&P 9mm compact. I found a good used SP101 but by the time I got some cash and made it back the gun was gone, couldn't find anything else that caught my eye.

I posted this a month and a half ago when I was FRESH out of a defensive handgun class. I'm still doing a lot of the training (dry firing, drawing/reloading drills) but have yet to incorporate the back up gun carry.

I tried pocket carry (wallet holster) with this thing but it's too big, I think it would ride nicely in an ankle holster but I just haven't tried it out. Mostly because I've been wearing shorts (VERY HOT IN TEXAS) and haven't really had an opportunity to carry it in back up capacity.

Thanks to everyone for their serious advice, the funny guys should just learn to hit back instead of trying to entertain us with their wit that NO ONE has ever seen or thought of before.
Old July 6, 2008, 07:08 PM   #29
HowardCohodas

My BUG: LCP on weak side in front pants pocket in DeSantis Super Fly holster without flap.
Old July 6, 2008, 07:16 PM   #30
Stiofan

Around town I carry my primary in either weak side front pocket or strong side rear pocket. Seecamp .32 or Beretta .22lr, don't like other types of carry personally. If I need something bigger for hiking I'll open carry my GP100.
Old July 6, 2008, 08:06 PM   #31
velocette

Seecamp LWS in the back pocket.