The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old November 19, 2012, 11:19 AM   #1
dayman

Are integrated forend lights worth the expense?

Alright, I think my last post was too general, so I"ll try to be more specific.

I plan on getting a Rem870 in the near future to serve primarily as a HD weapon.
I'm wondering if I should spring for a forend with an integrated light (surefire, EOtech), or just attach a light to either a railed forend or directly to the barrel/tube.

The integrated forends seem cool, but I've never actually used one, and I'm curious about whether they're enough better to warrant the extra $300 or so.

Last edited by dayman; November 19, 2012 at 11:26 AM.
Old November 19, 2012, 11:37 AM   #2
scottd913

i thought the same thing...so i don't have one!! i believe the one i was looking at for my Mossberg was 500 or so.
Old November 19, 2012, 12:03 PM   #3
mtuchris

Many weapon lights are not designed to handle the intense recoil of a pump 12g. Its actually usually the batteries that don't hold up after 50 or so rounds. The eotech forend has big oring style bumpers for the batteries to absorb the shock. That that kind of extra reliability is what you pay for.
Old November 19, 2012, 03:37 PM   #4
Fishbed77

Quote:
The eotech forend has big oring style bumpers for the batteries to absorb the shock. That that kind of extra reliability is what you pay for.
Those are some expensive O-rings!
Old November 19, 2012, 06:06 PM   #5
Lee Lapin

When they were the only game in town, they were worth it. Even though they were a pain in the support hand, since they used up so much room on the forearm they left little room, and tended to beat up the support hand in recoil too (at beat they beat up mine).

Now, with quality rail mounted weapon lights like Streamlight's TLR-1 available - no, I don't think they're worth it.

Attitude and skill will get you through times of no gear, better than gear will get you through times of no attitude and no skill.
Old November 19, 2012, 06:49 PM   #6
Mrgunsngear

They're not worth it to me. I have either Streamlights or Surefires on every one of my 870s---never had a light failure of any kind.
Old November 24, 2012, 02:09 PM   #7
Chainsawjames

^^^ I wouldn't want to be an intruder on that end. No thanks...
Old November 25, 2012, 01:56 AM   #8
MagnumWill

That's a strange little mount... Anyone know what it is? Is it a foregrip?
Old November 25, 2012, 02:03 AM   #9
TheKlawMan

plouffedaddy provides a lot of info on that stock and gun. I believe the forearm is made to accept a light mount.
Old November 25, 2012, 09:58 AM   #10
Mrgunsngear

Quote:
plouffedaddy provides a lot of info on that stock and gun. I believe the forearm is made to accept a light mount.
Thanks.

I did a quick product review of the stock/forend below. The magpul forend has their standard slots built into it so it accepts 1913 rails. I have mine set up with a KZ offset mount and Streamlight Polytac.

Stock/Forend Video Link
Old November 25, 2012, 11:06 AM   #11
Screwball

Quote:
Originally Posted by plouffedaddy View Post
The magpul forend has their standard slots built into it so it accepts 1913 rails. I have mine set up with a KZ offset mount and Streamlight Polytac.
That is a similar route that I went... extremely happy with it.

Old November 25, 2012, 11:26 AM   #12
kutz

Forestock light

Put a surefire stock light on my M590 A1 $350. Love it, works great,very ergo & has on /off or touch pad.
Old November 25, 2012, 11:38 AM   #13
ripnbst

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishbed77 View Post
Those are some expensive O-rings!
You aren't paying for the O-Ring. You are paying for ingenuity in the design that makes it superior to others.

That said, so long as you use a quality light like a stream light or similar you shouldn't experience issues.
Old November 27, 2012, 10:30 PM   #14
Axelwik

I put a Surefire on mine via a bracket connected to the extended magazine. The light is parallel to the barrel and turning it on and off is just a few inches from my fingers on the fore grip. So far so good.

I looked at some of the fore grip lights that protrude from the bottom and decided that if I have a sling attached it would block the light.
Old December 3, 2012, 05:15 PM   #15
Mefford

Forend lights

I have the Surefire forend light, and I love it. Great for shooting raccoons at night while not needing to co-ordinate your headlamp or flashlight for lining up the shot. In fact, I'm currently trying to search out a integrated light for my .410 Remington, but having no luck. Thinking about machining a flat spot on the forend to attach a rail and light system. Suggestions?
Old December 3, 2012, 05:23 PM   #16
allaroundhunter

In my opinion, they are not worth the extra $300.

You can get a mount that will attach to the magazine tube for less than $75, or you can get a fore end with railed slots for under $100.
Old December 3, 2012, 05:38 PM   #17
Lee Lapin

EOTech has a newish LED model out that looks interesting - saw it in the new SWAT issue, it's listed at http://www.amazon.com/Integrated-For.../dp/B007MRPB6W and at http://www.eotech-inc.com/products/lights/IFL

Gonna have to try one of these, I think.

Attitude and skill will get you through times of no gear, better than gear will get you through times of no attitude and no skill.