The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old October 21, 2008, 12:19 AM   #1
greywalker

enfield missing stripper clip guide safe?

I recently purchased a no 1 mk3 that had been heavily sporterized, including the complete removal of the stripper clip guide - I have heard that this mod may make the weapon unsafe to shoot- anyone have info, and anyone know where I could get a replacement stripper clip guide?
Old October 21, 2008, 01:22 AM   #2
4thPointofContact

Isn't the stripper clip guide milled straight into the receiver on your SMLE? The guide on my 2A1 was removed when it was bubba'ed into a 'jungle gun' (a scope was mounted over the action).
There is a guy who mills stripper clips into various rifles, but I'm not sure if the guide is milled into an existing receiver, or if it is built up out of welding (or something) and then milled into shape. Give Shawn's Tactical a call and see if he can do anything for you.
Old October 21, 2008, 01:41 AM   #3
greywalker

its a separate piece that is held in with pins - apparently often removed for sporterizing....
Old October 21, 2008, 02:55 PM   #4
James K
Member In Memoriam

Actually, the clip bridge on the No. 1 Mk III it is held by four rivets, but the rivets are finished flat and the work is so well done it looks like the bridge is part of the receiver. It is part of the receiver on the No. 4 and 5 rifles, though.

The clip bridge is not a stressed component. Not only did the early rifles not have it, but as graywalker says, it is often removed when the rifle is sporterized.

Jim
Old October 21, 2008, 10:37 PM   #5
greywalker

cool- I was hoping it was a non issue with regard to safety- still, I would love to have the guide back- anybody know where to get one out there on the web- numrich was a no go.......
Old October 22, 2008, 05:16 PM   #6
James K
Member In Memoriam

They were considered a permanent assembly with the receiver, not a spare part, so there are no supplies of them around. When they were removed they were usually ruined and were just tossed. Barring a stroke of luck, the best way to get a charger bridge might be to just buy a rifle with one on it.

Jim
Old October 22, 2008, 06:20 PM   #7
jaguarxk120

Do a search for Lee Speed, they were the forerunners of the Enfield. There is some verry nice stuff out there. Tom F.
Old October 23, 2008, 04:35 PM   #8
Tidewater_Kid

Numrich Lists these...

http://www.e-gunparts.com/DisplayAd....rSuperSKU=&MC=

TK
Old October 24, 2008, 04:08 PM   #9
kwells6

there were a lot of English sportsmen that removed them to use in Africa for hunts. The trend probably came across the waters.
Old October 24, 2008, 04:16 PM   #10
James K
Member In Memoriam

Hi, Tidewater Kid,

Well, I'll be darned. I would not have thought there were any available. From the looks of that, it seems to be unfinished and without the clip slot fully cut, so installing it and making it work might take a fair amount of effort.

Jim
Old October 25, 2008, 06:49 PM   #11
greywalker

wow- Thanks much for that- gonna have to get me one now.....
Old October 26, 2008, 09:42 PM   #12
greywalker

Ordered one of the stripper guides, along with some other stuff for the old girl, now to figure out how to assemble it- any idea how they did the rivets?