The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 30, 2005, 06:45 PM   #1
youngblood

Starting reloading

I have a father who does not shoot and i was wondering the best way to get permision to reload for my Grandfather's .222 Remington Magnum, i'm 14 and have shot several time's but no one in my house own's a firearm. Also any sugestions for a good book with load data for the 222
thanks in advance
JAke
Old July 30, 2005, 08:21 PM   #2
Leftoverdj

Better to beg forgiveness than ask permission. Find someone who reloads and make yourself useful. Trim enough cases and inspect enough cast bullets and you'll be allowed to hang around and watch. Mention to the Ps that you are watching a guy reload and let it drop for a month or two. When the time is right, ask if the guy you are helping can load a couple of boxes for you. When the Ps get used to you coming home with a box or two of reloads will be plenty of time to ask if you can start reloading yourself.

Lot easier to get permission to do something you are already doing.
Old July 30, 2005, 08:58 PM   #3
Poygan

Amen to Leftoverdj's reply. It is so much faster (not to mention safer!!!) to learn reloading from someone who is very experienced than to learn from a book. If you don't know such a person, ask around a local range or store that carries reloading supplies. Also, starting off reloading for a 222 Mag would not be my first choice to learn reloading.
Old July 30, 2005, 10:11 PM   #4
LHB1

Quote: "Also, starting off reloading for a 222 Mag would not be my first choice to learn reloading."

Poygan,
I'm curious why you think this. I think it would be an excellent rifle caliber with which to begin loading. I found the .222 Mag simple and easy to reload.

Good shooting and be safe.
LB

ps: Can't say that I agree with slipping around and loading behind his parent's backs without their knowledge. Doesn't bode well for parent/son trust and confidence. If your Grandfather is still alive, can you enlist his support and guidance? As a grandfather myself, I would be thrilled to help my grandson learn more about shooting, reloading, safety with firearms, and general guidelines for life.
Old July 31, 2005, 09:33 AM   #5
youngblood

my grandfather is still alive but he does not shoot any more

Leftoverdj one major problem with that is how i am i going to get to where the person is reloading? i'm 14 so i can't drive there. I remeber doing projects with my dad and his might be a way to get him into shooting
Old July 31, 2005, 10:15 AM   #6
AAshooter

Check the NRA website and see if they have a reloading seminar in your area. They have good reference material and often the instructors will teach for a reasonable price. You can also contact the NRA and ask about NRA instructors that teach reloading in your area and contact them.
Old July 31, 2005, 01:59 PM   #7
Poygan

LB: My thinking was that it would be simpler to start off reloading something like a .38 special. Straight wall case, no trimming issues, lower pressure, etc.
Perhaps less expensive, especially if he could get hooked up with a bullet caster. Certainly with a good teacher, he could start reloading almost any cartridge.
Old July 31, 2005, 02:23 PM   #8
LHB1

Poygan,
OK, I see your point. But this is a follow on post to a previous post where the young man has access to a .222 Rem Mag rifle thru his Grandfather and wanted to rebore/rebarrel the gun. Several of us recommended he leave the gun as is and reload for it. Thus the caliber is a given and not an option for him.

Good shooting and be safe.
LB
Old July 31, 2005, 03:51 PM   #9
Leftoverdj

Youngblood, you are going to have to have an adult in on this. If you can get your father in, so much the better. I grew up in a different time and culture, and when I started reloading, a little younger than you are, I just did it. I could walk into the store and buy anything I could pay for. You can't, and that's sad.

I could also travel to any place I could get to on a bike or my thumb. You probably can't do that either, and that's also sad.

Start saving. It's going to be a lot easier to get your dad to agree if you have the money to pay for it when you ask. It's lawn mowing season. Twenty lawns will get you a good start if kids can still mow lawns.
Old July 31, 2005, 11:28 PM   #10
drvector

Good reloading Book

Youngblood,

If you search this forum you will find that one of the most recommended references for someone starting out in reloading is “The ABC’s of Reloading”. It’s available at Amazon.com and Borders, just to name a few sources. I just picked up a copy myself – it’s an excellent book and is thoroughly enjoyable to read. You will also find while reading and searching this forum that, while reloading is not rocket science, it does require some care and understanding in the tools of the trade. You’ve probably heard it hundreds of times before, but you need to do your homework first! Incorrect reloads can result in dangerous pressures that can damage your gun and more importantly you. In my opinion, you must understand the mechanism that takes place every time you pull the trigger if you are going to load ammo. I'm not trying to scare you off. There are well defined recipes for every cartridge depending on the components you intend to use, but you need to understand them and the limits of a load. – read, read, read…

The more I think about this, particularly as the parent of a 14 year old, I think you should talk to your parents or your grand father.

Best of luck with your folks
Old August 1, 2005, 02:57 AM   #11
Tim R

YoungBlood, I'm happy to see the interest and agree with most of the posts so far. I do believe grand dad should give his permission for you to stuff reloads down his rifle....some people are funny about that. I also agree that mom and dad should be OK with it too.

The goal is to find a load that will put as many bullets through the same hole as possible.....not drive the bullet faster than published data. If you can't live with the last sentence, then reloading is a bad idea for you.

I would also think the local Library would have some reloading manuals or at least the ablity to get what you want.

A great one is any Speer reloading manual as they have nice "how to" sections. Reloading for a 222 mag should be about as hard as loading for 223 which isn't very hard at all.
Old August 1, 2005, 10:51 AM   #12
youngblood

My Grandfather doesn't shoot any more and just wants to keep the gun in the family.

I didn't think of the library they have a Lyman Reloading Handbook is that good? I already have ABC's of Reloading. And i have enough money for a Lee Aniverstiy Kit. Is this a good choice to start on?
Old August 1, 2005, 10:03 PM   #13
rwilson452

Lee anniversary kit

Yes the lee kit is a good starter kit. If I'm not mistaken it comes with a copy of Lee's "Modern reloading" It will give you good directions on setting up your press. the Lyman manual is one of the better ones out. I would still second the notion of finding a local person that reloads to mentor you along for a bit.
Old August 2, 2005, 05:29 PM   #14
youngblood

well if anyone lives in the O'fallon MO area that would take me under their wing that would be greatly apreicated.
Old August 7, 2005, 04:48 PM   #15
youngblood

Well I've talked to my father and he has give me permission to reload provided I can find some one to teach me. The closest NRA insturctor is in St.Charles which is about a 30 minutes drive from where I live in O'Fallon so I would like to find a closer alturnitiver.
Thanks for all you great help so far
JAke
Old August 30, 2005, 09:55 AM   #16
steveb3006

Hey youngblood,it excites me to see you want to get into and learn to reload.
I know the age differences are different here but here goes..My son is three,but I cant wait till he's fourteen(I can only hope he will want to be into shooting and reloading)Im 34 years old and my dad is 54.Three years ago I got HIM into shooting and reloading.My dad never had guns around when I was growing up..Sorry im rambling..If your interested in reloading as the saying goes(YOU GO BOY)I can not state enough READ THOSE MANUALS,again,and again,FOLLOW THE LOAD DATA...OBSERVE ALL PRECAUTIONS,AND BE SAFE....SAFTEY FIRST..Good luck to you,and happy reloading and shooting..