The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old March 29, 2007, 12:49 AM   #1
Jaycolo

Making grips

Hello Has anyone attempted to make there own grips if so how hard was it and any advice you have would be great
Old March 29, 2007, 03:50 AM   #2
Bill DeShivs

It depends on what gun you make them for. Guns with flat grips, and little or no undercutting are easy. You can make them with a coping saw, file , hand drill, and sandpaper. Others are much harder.
Bill
Old March 29, 2007, 10:38 AM   #3
Jaycolo

well its for a taurus gaucho I was thinking of tracing what i got then using the scoll saw to cut it out then sand it and maybe burn some lines in it then stain it
Old March 29, 2007, 11:36 AM   #4
williamd

It is not hard, but time consuming. Make sure you fit all the inside/backside notches/pins/screw holes/etc before you shape the outside. Same goes for stocks. It's quit a bit of PATIENCE-needed work. Don't need anything real special in tools but wood caring set and fine rasps helps. Go all the way to at least 600 grit paper (I go top 1200). Wood will look spectatular even before you apply any finish.