The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old July 26, 2010, 07:17 AM   #1
hooligan1

110 bolt baffle?

Is it okay to fire my Savage 110 without a bolt baffle in place? I didn't catch that I was missing something until I saw pics of another members rifle.. It's my first Savage,, I have fired 20 rnds from it with no problems..so far.. I traded for the rifle and it's a real decent shooter, as far as I can tell.

Thanks for coming!
Old July 26, 2010, 09:59 AM   #2
nsaqam

If you are talking about the front bolt baffle directly behind the locking lugs then although they provide no strength they do function, as intended, as a safety feature designed to stop gas from a case failure travelling back towards the shooter.
I would get one, and the wavy washer that goes with it, and install it as soon as possible.
Old July 26, 2010, 10:24 AM   #3
hooligan1

The baffle that I mentioned is the one right in front of the bolt handle, looks like black plastic to me...

Thanks for coming!
Old July 26, 2010, 04:22 PM   #4
James K
Member In Memoriam

The rear baffle serves the same purpose, blocking escaping gas. If gas should get loose in the action or inside the bolt and either follow back along the bolt or excape through the cocking cam cutout, the rear baffle keeps it from coming back into the shooter's face and eyes.

While gas escape is an uncommon condition, it can happen, and I recommend replacing that baffle as soon as possible, preferably before firing the gun again. Check www.gunpartscorp.com as they had them for around $20, or contact Savage.

Jim
Old July 26, 2010, 04:30 PM   #5
hooligan1

Yes sir I did just that, I called Savage and talked to a service tech, they said that I should replace that part, But that it was okay to shoot. It's only 9.00 bucks + some shipping of course. So I'll definetly take your advice and fix it before I shoot it.

Thanks for coming!
Old July 26, 2010, 08:05 PM   #6
nsaqam

The baffle right in front of the handle also has the primary extraction ramp on it. This ramp forces the bolt back a bit on the upturn of the bolt to start the empty brass out of the chamber.
Shocking that Savage would say that it was alright to shoot without that baffle since it is a safety feature as well as stated by Jim.
Old July 27, 2010, 04:33 PM   #7
hooligan1

I have just ordered the part straight from Savage, $9.00 + $4.00(shipping), be at my door in three days,,,How's that for service?

Thanks for coming!!!
Old July 31, 2010, 10:56 AM   #8
hooligan1

RE: bolt baffle

I just recieved my part from Savage! The service was fast and courteous!!! Savage is easy to work with. 1+ from this hooligan!

Thanks for coming!