The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old August 28, 2015, 02:53 PM   #1
Rangerrich99

Any Suggestions on Slings for an AR?

Okay here's the deal: I have a Windham Weaponry AR, nothing special, just a solid rifle, that I've decided is my general purpose HD/brush gun/plinker. So I need a sling. Rather than go through the process of buying several slings before finding one I liked, as I did with my other AR, I thought I'd ask you guys what slings you like and use.

Also, please take a few words to explain why you like your choices.

Note: I'm not interested in a 'tactical' sling, per se, just something that does the job and will be very durable. I plan on doing some hunting for coyotes/feral pigs and will probably end up doing a lot of hiking over rough terrain.

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Last edited by Rangerrich99; August 28, 2015 at 03:06 PM.
Old August 28, 2015, 03:15 PM   #2
themalicious0ne

I did a lot of research before buying mine. I went with the TIS quick cuff. May be more tactical than you were thinking, but it is a two point, really simple and durrable, really thick and can help stabilize shooting offhand. It doesn't have any padding or anything like that, but with a 1.5" thickness, I do find it pretty comfortable.
Old August 28, 2015, 04:33 PM   #3
noonesshowmonkey

Vickers Combat Applications Sling

Viking Tacts / Blue Force VTAC

Booney Packer

Magpul MS series

This is a short list of probably the best slings out there, especially AR-15s.
Old August 29, 2015, 12:35 AM   #4
marine6680

I have a magpul ms1... Just a simple two point sling like many traditional types, but with a quick adjust feature.

Very handy and usable sling, without all the techno doodads.

It can accept quick detach parts for those who have the mounting option on their rifle.
Old August 29, 2015, 06:09 AM   #5
oneloudvous

I use a Magpul ms4 gen 2 sling on my daniel defense ar15. Has quick disconnects and can switch from 1 to 2 point very easily. I mainly chose it because I wasn't sure if I wanted a 1 or 2 point and with the ms4 you get both.
Old August 29, 2015, 07:15 AM   #6
Mobuck

"I'm not interested in a 'tactical' sling, per se, just something that does the job and will be very durable."

Most simple answer is 4' of 1" or 1.25" nylon web and a couple of buckles.
I actually prefer the "cross chest" carry for carbines. Makes it easier to ride an ATV and/or do something with your hands w/o having to lay the rifle down or have it fall of your shoulder. I carry an AR nearly every day from mid-November to mid-March so I put a lot of miles on my rifle(s) and equipment. There are so many options in the sling market that it can be very confusing. Even seeing one in the package doesn't tell you how it will fit you or how it will feel after walking 4-5 miles with it on your shoulder.
Old August 29, 2015, 11:14 AM   #7
rickyrick

I'd not use a sling on a brush, HD rifle. The sling could hang on a door knob, dresser knob, counter top, or other stuff in your gun safe. Purely brush or outdoor gun a sling would be fine. If you have any intentions of using a rifle indoors, ditch the sling.

A sling is also a point that someone could gain a good grip on your rifle
Old August 29, 2015, 04:49 PM   #8
marine6680

I can carry my rifle in a low ready'ish hang with my MS1. Very handy method of carry.
Old August 29, 2015, 10:19 PM   #9
Polinese

I use VTAC slings on all my rifles bolt guns included.
Old August 30, 2015, 02:24 PM   #10
Fishbed77

In my experience, the VCAS (Vickers Combat Applications Sling) is the best AR sling you can buy.

I'd rate the VTAC a very close second (it's basically the same design), but the VCAS feels a bit sturdier and, when set up similarly, doesn't have the annoying dangling strap.

FYI - here's a decent comparison of the two:

http://modernserviceweapons.com/?p=1585
Old August 30, 2015, 04:31 PM   #11
Rangerrich99

Thanks for all the replies gents. Looks like I have some researching to do now. I'll let you know what I end up doing in a few weeks.
Old August 31, 2015, 02:13 AM   #12
Theohazard

The sling you use matters a lot less than how you actually attach it to your rifle. If you're looking for a more modern across-the-chest two-point setup, make sure to attach each side of the sling closer to the top of the rifle than to the side or the bottom. Too many people attach their two-point slings too low on the rifle, and then the rifle hangs oddly when it's carried across the chest. And it doesn't help that the QD points on many stocks are way too low on the stock.
Old August 31, 2015, 05:05 AM   #13
Road_Clam

I have the Magpul MS3 , excellent sling for either traditional 2 point usage, or easily used as a single point. I like the versatility as I use my MS3 on both my AR-15 and my AK47.
Old August 31, 2015, 07:54 AM   #14
kcub

+1 Blue force
Old September 1, 2015, 05:33 PM   #15
Regular Joe

I thought pretty hard about what I wanted. Once I had the idea, it was easy to put together:
Cross chest, or it moves out of the way for different options. That's the Magpul forend with M-lock rail sections. The section at front 6 o'clock is for the light that I only mount when I want it there.
BTW- I'm left handed, so this is totally sensible to me.
Old September 1, 2015, 05:51 PM   #16
Bartholomew Roberts

I've used the first generation VTAC, the VCAS, the Magpuls MS2, MS3 and MS4 slings amongst others. The Magpul MS3 is probably my favorite of all of them. The front snap makes for an easier transition between single and two-point slings and combined with the Magpul rail hook, it also hangs better than a side mounted QD attachment.
Old September 4, 2015, 07:29 AM   #17
agtman

Quote:
I have the Magpul MS3 , excellent sling for either traditional 2 point usage, or easily used as a single point.
All but one of my ARs wear Magpul's MS3. Great sling. Holds the gun well and is easy to tighten, loosen, and change up from 2-pt to single-pt.
Old September 26, 2015, 01:31 PM   #18
Rangerrich99

Okay guys, I've decided on the Magpul MS3, and I can get a bit of a deal on a Gen 2 right now. Is that still a good sling? Or should I keep looking for a Gen 3?
Old September 26, 2015, 08:02 PM   #19
Theohazard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerrich99
kay guys, I've decided on the Magpul MS3, and I can get a bit of a deal on a Gen 2 right now. Is that still a good sling? Or should I keep looking for a Gen 3?
I'm pretty sure Magpul doesn't make a Gen 3 sling yet, so are you referring to the Gen 2 versus the Gen 1?

If so, in my opinion you should skip the Gen 1 and keep looking for a Gen 2. The Gen 1 uses an annoying loop adjustment, whereas the Gen 2 has a slider that's much easier to use. Before the upgrade to the Gen 2 design, I didn't like the Magpul slings. But now that they have the Gen 2, I really like them.
Old September 29, 2015, 01:17 PM   #20
HALL,AUSTIN

I'd recommend a sling for HD, kinda hard to get shot with a gun that's attached to you.
Old October 1, 2015, 09:29 AM   #21
tirod

Sling, not so much. The Infantry School taught in my day to remove it. The less I had it the less it was needed - all it did was snag on things like brush or vehicle interiors, and qualifying it moved the POI they way I was taught to shoot prone.

Slings are great to stabilize position shooters with free floated rifles, or those patrolling the street and working with detainees who need searching. For all out combat, tho, they are a detriment. Even the silent sling creates noise when the buckles hit the composite stocks, and having another strap around your torso means if the weapon is grabbed you get pulled off balance. In Riot training you are taught to let things go - your team mate will take down the offender. Same with home defense, if you let the intruder get that close it was a mistake. Better to let go and transition to your pistol. You should have been shooting anyway.

A sling will definitely hamper your motions using the weapon as an impact device - slings were always removed in Riot and Bayonet training. It's bad enough wearing the field suspenders, LBV, or plate chest carrier and it's load, adding a sling to snag around pockets is no improvement.

My Fudd guns have slings - but they don't have magazines or pistol grips, either. Those features can't be ignored when considering the big picture.
Old October 2, 2015, 04:18 AM   #22
rmh3481

I used to prefer the three point. This one is my new favorite. Watch the video and see how this is a modified two point. Long enough for over a coat and belly!
http://www.redi-mag.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=26
Old October 2, 2015, 05:03 AM   #23
Ibmikey

I have a bunch of GI issue $5 buck slings that work just fine to carry the rifle in and out of the woods.
Old October 2, 2015, 10:16 AM   #24
noonesshowmonkey

Having just handled a buddy's AR with a Savvy Sniper sling, I would add that to the list. Great piece of kit.
Old October 2, 2015, 12:21 PM   #25
zukiphile

Quote:
I have a bunch of GI issue $5 buck slings that work just fine to carry the rifle in and out of the woods.
Five bucks? Big spender. I have cheap gun show slings, $2 for one inch width and $2.50 for 1 and 1/4 inch. I use them as support in all three positions. Tough to improve on them in terms of benefit per dollar spent.