The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old February 6, 2013, 02:55 PM   #1
Mrgunsngear

CCR CP II Electroless Nickel Boron Finish Review

Before:

After:

Just wanted to do a review of CCR's CPII electroless nickel boron refininshing process as a lot of folks are buying used guns these days due to market shortages of new models....

Pros:
-Durable finish. It performs well in salt bath tests and shows wear less than any finish I can think of.
-Affordable. I think the normal price for a slide is around $100 but they have sales from time to time for $75
-Decent turn around time. I have several guns done in this finish and they generally come back within 3-5 weeks.
-Looks great. The finish is even and has a matte silver look to it in person.
-Easy to clean. Carbon wipes right off.

Cons:
-Not really any I can think of other than the fact that shipping can be expensive if you want to send a complete gun in due to federal laws and UPS/FedEx pricing.

Here's a video showing a couple guns I've had done in action:

CCR CPII HD Video Review Link
Old June 29, 2013, 05:38 AM   #2
808newguy

hydrogen embrittlement issues?

CCR's Ceraplate II finish sounds (and looks!) great, plouffedaddy.

Have you read anything regarding hydrogen embrittlement when having handguns plated with the electroless nickel boron nitride finish?

Is this something to be concerned about?

Thanks, in advance, for your (or anyone's) feedback on this issue!
Old June 29, 2013, 09:00 AM   #3
wnycollector

Seeing your SIG's before and after pics makes me want to send in the slide on my West German P220.
Old June 29, 2013, 12:43 PM   #4
Mrgunsngear

Quote:
Have you read anything regarding hydrogen embrittlement when having handguns plated with the electroless nickel boron nitride finish?

Is this something to be concerned about?
I haven't, sorry.

That said, there are a ton of AR-15/AR-10 bolts out there that are electroless nickel finished and those are subjected to much harsher conditions than most handgun slides will ever be and they seem to hold up fine for what it's worth.

-Mike
Old June 29, 2013, 11:43 PM   #5
Sevens

Okay, looks pretty good.
But, uhhh, the "before" picture sure appears to be a black & white photo.

Is that really fair?! It reminds me of before/after shots they put up on TV infomercials, where you just -KNOW- they have an agenda and absolutely no qualms about bending the truth to sell their product.

I think the "after" photo and your comments do a pretty darn good job, but almost seems a bit less-so with the "before" photo being included.

And before my comments are wildly misconstrued (seems to be often these days), I'm finding it funny-- not "shifty."
Old June 30, 2013, 08:56 PM   #6
mete

Hydrogen embrittlement... The problem with failure from hydrogen embrittlement is due to stresses from hydrogen already in the steel.They can fail nicely in the static condition.The problem comes from hydrogen from HT and plating. I've done it a few times and very nicely too.I(f you need the info it would be costly to you. I don't give that info away ! ')
Old June 30, 2013, 09:03 PM   #7
TennJed

CCR CP II Electroless Nickel Boron Finish Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevens View Post
Okay, looks pretty good.
But, uhhh, the "before" picture sure appears to be a black & white photo.

Is that really fair?! It reminds me of before/after shots they put up on TV infomercials, where you just -KNOW- they have an agenda and absolutely no qualms about bending the truth to sell their product.
It doesn't look black and white to me, maybe it is but doesn't seem "gray" like most b&w